PDA

View Full Version : Success burning NesterDC SE on a Mac

cmstar
February 25th, 2006, 17:34
I have finally be able to burn NesterDC SE on a Mac. Though I did have to first have a working installation burned on a pc.

The exciting news is that I was able to insert other Roms that aren't in the database. But unfortunately the database is still a huge problem.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with author? I have some questions about the database stuff.

If he would just update it to use an xml database instead we could have a much greater flexibility over this already awesome emulator.

Starscream
March 2nd, 2006, 15:20
Do the non-database roms play in the emulator? I thought it might work if I replace some of the zips in the local folders that NesterDC generates before it builds the CD, but haven't gotten around to try that out yet.

cmstar
March 3rd, 2006, 16:59
I let it generate everything on a pc... then moved all the files over to a mac. To play non-database roms, you have to rename the rom to something that was generated. For example. I had 1942 and 1943. They were renamed to roms 0001.zip and 0002.zip. So to play my copy of Mario Adventure (non-database rom), I just renamed it to 0001.zip and put in the with the other files.

So yes, it plays, but at the cost of replacing a game.

While the database is a very cool idea, you should also have the flexibility to use non-database roms too...on all platforms.

Starscream
March 3rd, 2006, 18:33
Ah, that's great to hear, thanks. Now I just need some dummies for the generation, and then the replacement beginns.

cmstar
March 3rd, 2006, 21:54
I've found a couple more things, but I'm at work so I can't test them.

First, the name of the zipped rom like 0001.zip will also correspond to the screenshots and game genie codes, so you could place proper cartscans, screenshots etc.

Second, if you open up the .db file on the mac, the indexes are messed up, but the names are readable, so after you created the dummy on a win pc, you could go back in the db file and replace names, I 'think' that would work.

And last, if you look at the file main2 in the root (main) directory, open it up. There is an if statement in there that will allow you to use the old style Nester Rom browser.

I think I can modify that to allow you to use the normal Nester SE rom browser, or pres START + A to use the old style broswer.