PDA

View Full Version : Review of MegaMan Maverick Hunter X

Cross
February 27th, 2006, 16:59
Ok well after getting back into the PSP I have been doing to things. Playing with the web browser (Which has been driving me nuts damn ver. 2.6 I wanted 2.0) and playing MegaMan Maverick Hunter X.

Now as far as the basic Disc. goes. This is a remake of the original MegaMan X but they did a hell of a god job. The game looks more like the PS2 MegaMan X Series, but not completely. They added some good elements, changed locations and the order in which you get power ups as well as adding more things to the series.

First this marks the return to Anime Cut Scenes (Excluding MegaMan X Command Mission and I have been lazy about MegaMan X7 and 8 as I just do not like my PS2... or the new setup for the games). The scenes have been done excellently and a bonus film is inluded after you beat the game with X. This film seems to pick up where MegaMan X 4 left us after the battle Sigma and Zero flash Back. The video gives a history basically of how the rebellion started and its done very well. I do like that MegaMan does not sound so.... girly but he does seem to be shouting all the time.

Now as far as differences the graphics is a huge change but also the Power up locations has changed. They are in the same stages but not the same power ups. I will leave it at that as that was part of the fun for me. All heart locations and Sub tanks were the same for X.

But the real treat was some of the hidden goodies. For X you can get Zero's Buster. I do not remember being able to do this in the original. (I used to pride myself on being able to get through the original in about 1.5 hours max... now I want to go see if maybe I missed this or not :p ) I will not say how but you can find out on the net if you want to. Also the big battle with Vile, Zero and X is not the first Sigma Stage but now the third. It also seems different completely (The whole battle setup) Zero was found in a capsule being held prisioner now he is beaten on the ground... I will not give any more away.

Now for the real extra goodie, once you beat the game you also get a new load screen showing Vile as well as being able to play the whole game from Vile's side. There are cut scenes as well as a whole story line that follows. Not to mention it explains how Vile reappears. (I will leave that alone to ^-^)

The Vile side is very different as his weapons are harder to get used to, no charge shots, a power meter that recharges on its own, his weapons are much.... well lets just say when you beat a boss you get many more options as well as building weapon power level higher. There are no suit upgrades like X has but there are suit upgrades. (Again I will let you discover this). Vile also never gets the dash feature but he does have a feature that gets him moving.

Now for reply... beyond beating the vile level you do get a few extra goodies but I know I will not play it as much but it def was fun to play.

I would recommend this to anyone who liked the original MegaMan X and those who enjoy the series. Those who are new to it this is also a perfect game as the other MegaMan Remake looks to be much more kiddy.... I am a little worried about it just like Zelda Windwaker, I refused to buy it as it just looked completely wrong when compaired to the rest of the Zelda Series... this new MegaMan coming out in March (Not MegaMan Maverick Hunter X that were talking about this is another just so we are clear) looks like it uses bobble head characters....

So back on topic I give this game def a 9 rating. It challanged me and had great video in it. The locations and challenges were there and I had to relearn many things. The Vile side was harder and very much enjoyable once you got started. There is a lot to learn.

Hope this helps a few of you with the game, let me know if you have any other questions or anything else for me on it ^-^

Kaiser
February 27th, 2006, 23:41
Cool review Cross :)

Front-paged it.

Cross
February 28th, 2006, 03:14
*Bows* Thank you, I am glad it will get some views ^-^

Either way its just nice to contribute again since I am currently... homebrewless :p

vettacossx
March 31st, 2006, 07:33
wow you should do more reveiws that the best ive read in a while i love to see all that enthusiasm gr8 reveiw ill make sure too check out your next one i think ill grab this when i get marvel nemisis i love the honest reveiws here there at least 75% of my decision when grabbing a new game...i like knowing when its worth my hard earned cash...lol thanx DCemu

Cross
August 17th, 2006, 19:48
NP But I am bias I tend to only review what i want to. I guess were the same in it has to come across right and have a great review for me to buy something I normally would not.

Glad my Review was useful to you though, hope you liked the game!

Yobumtin
September 3rd, 2006, 02:23
Haha I loved the original X series. Congratulations! You've got me interested in this game. I might buy it and its all thanks to your review. :)