PDA

View Full Version : What kind of cable do you use to connect your PS3 to your HDTV?

mike_jmg
April 6th, 2009, 15:56
It's just that, a friend of mine is really crazy He bought an HDMI cable at Radioshack for like 50 bucks. But then He found online another cable that was "better" and twice the price, brand Monster

He just sold me the one he got at Radioshack for half price (he's crazy I know)

And all that made me wonder, what kind of cable do you use to hook up your PS3?

dejkirkby
April 6th, 2009, 16:25
I use HDMI but would never spend so much on my cable as that.
A HDMI cable for £4 does exactly the same as a £40 one.
People are too easily ripped off.

EDIT:
Assuming you are in the US, if I were you I'd get my money back and buy this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Premium-Gold-HDMI-1-3-Cable-5-ft-For-PS3-HDTV-1080p_W0QQitemZ110364453697QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item110364453697&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1309%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Less than $5 and free shipping.

Malksta
April 6th, 2009, 18:30
all hdmi cables to the same thing. your friend was ripped off

pibs
April 6th, 2009, 19:55
all hdmi cables to the same thing. your friend was ripped off

Yep, I got my HDMI to DVI cable for free off amazon because of a gift card :p

It cost like 5bucks with shipping included, I bet the HDMI cables are even less :rofl:

mike_jmg
April 6th, 2009, 20:11
It's ok, he's my friend after all, and he promised to invite me some beers one of these days haha

What can I say, He's just nuts and he earns enough money to be so.

He sold me his old HDTV cause it had a res of 1080i and he wanted to play MGS4 on 1080p (I can't really see the difference, but I got an HDTV for cheap :rofl: :thumbup:)
Also the new one was bigger, then changed it again but this time he went overboard and got a 52 inch sony bravia full HD

Now he claims the Radioshack HDMI cable was a lot better than the one he had, and the same day (yesterday) he saw the Monster one and now he wants that one.

A bit compulsive if you ask me, but sometimes I do things like that too, maybe that's why he is my friend hehe

pibs
April 6th, 2009, 21:55
It's ok, he's my friend after all, and he promised to invite me some beers one of these days haha

What can I say, He's just nuts and he earns enough money to be so.

He sold me his old HDTV cause it had a res of 1080i and he wanted to play MGS4 on 1080p (I can't really see the difference, but I got an HDTV for cheap :rofl: :thumbup:)
Also the new one was bigger, then changed it again but this time he went overboard and got a 52 inch sony bravia full HD

Now he claims the Radioshack HDMI cable was a lot better than the one he had, and the same day (yesterday) he saw the Monster one and now he wants that one.

A bit compulsive if you ask me, but sometimes I do things like that too, maybe that's why he is my friend hehe

Yeah I know, I can't tell the difference between 1080i and p neither(you probably need eagle eyes!). I did get suckered into buying a $50 cable like 2-3 years ago at radioshack, but I learned my lesson haha.

I know its off topic but I just saw on ur sig that u have a PhotoFast with the 16gb micro hc and well im interested in purchasing one. The problem is the reviews on amazon about it are a bit worrisome. My questions are:
-Any highly noticeable slow speed transfers?
-Can the PSP really format the hc card? what about with 2?
-What FW do you recommend is best to use with this card?
-Are there any problems with HB slow read-times?
-Does it really support up to 32GB:eek:

Thanks

mike_jmg
April 6th, 2009, 22:47
1.- no noticeable slow speed transfers
2.- yup no problem formating, dejkirby has one with two 8GB microsds and he has no problem (I asked him about mine :p)
3.- Any FW will do, I like 5.00 M33-6 atm
4.- no slow read times on anything, homebrew, eboots, etc
5.- I saw a video on youtube of a guy who has the two 16gb micros and the adapter, after formating it reads 29GB (mine reads 14.5 GB)

only downside is the unsupported magicgate that makes accesing video and music folders slow but only entering the folders, after that it works fine.

Also this issue can be solved with IRshell as it has a feature to disable the magicgate check (wich is when the thing slows down as it is not supported), there are no slowdowns whatsoever after using it, and later you can delete IRshell and it will still work.

overall I'm impressed by the performance of the adapter and I guess so will you if you get it

edit: Another thing is, maybe it's just me but the damn thing feels like it's going to break in my hands at any moment when it's empty, so far is fine but I tend to be extra careful with it (after all the thing was made in china), I don't take it out much

Someday I'll get the other microsdhc but right now I have no money :p

Nocuddle
April 6th, 2009, 23:29
5 bucks HDMI also works like 200 one.

Its digital anyway. Either is connected or not connected at all (bad wiring).

and u r lucky, u got a dickhead friend. :D

pibs
April 7th, 2009, 00:13
Cool! thank you mike, that was very informative. I will get one now, its a cheap alternative to buying the pro duo's too since micro sd's grow on trees now days :)

Triv1um
April 7th, 2009, 00:13
Everyone is wrong.

Monster cables do make a difference.

My dad uses monster cables on his TV for his Blu-ray player and it increased the picture tenfold to the cable that came with his player.

I have also run my PS3 through one of his monster cables, and there was a difference (not as big of a difference than through the blu-ray player)

Video cables are like audio cables.

You get shit interconnects and speaker cable, you get shit sound no matter what the speaker is. Same thing applies to hdmi cables.

My dad spent about £400 on cables for his entertainment system.

And about £1,200 for his hi-fi cables. ;)

Its worth every penny.

vik329
April 7th, 2009, 00:20

Its worth every penny.

Although I can see your point, we can't all afford to spend that much on some cables :p

Triv1um
April 7th, 2009, 00:33
Although I can see your point, we can't all afford to spend that much on some cables :p

Pffft, piss off vik.

JLF65
April 7th, 2009, 04:24
Everyone is wrong.

My dad uses monster cables on his TV for his Blu-ray player and it increased the picture tenfold to the cable that came with his player.

I have also run my PS3 through one of his monster cables, and there was a difference (not as big of a difference than through the blu-ray player)

You get shit interconnects and speaker cable, you get shit sound no matter what the speaker is. Same thing applies to hdmi cables.

Its worth every penny.

No, it isn't. :D

Video cables are only like audio cables if you're talking about analog signals. So if you mean a component cable, yes, that could be improved with a better cable. HDMI is DIGITAL. Digital signals are NOT improved in the slightest by differences in the cable. It's an all or nothing situation. If your dad saw a difference, he probably switched from RF to component, or composite to HDMI, or something similar. Going from one HDMI cable to another will not produce any difference at all. Period.

Also, Monster is well known for selling over-priced cables. I'm not saying they're not good, I'm saying you can get as good or better cables elsewhere for FAR less than Monster sells for. Monster 16 gauge audio wire is the same as generic 16 gauge audio wire, just 100X as expensive, and generic 14 gauge audio wire beats Monster 16 gauge audio cable while still being 100X less expensive.

Don't try to argue here, you don't have a leg to stand on. My BSEE trumps your anecdotes by a wide margin. :cool:

Triv1um
April 7th, 2009, 09:47
No, it isn't. :D

Video cables are only like audio cables if you're talking about analog signals. So if you mean a component cable, yes, that could be improved with a better cable. HDMI is DIGITAL. Digital signals are NOT improved in the slightest by differences in the cable. It's an all or nothing situation. If your dad saw a difference, he probably switched from RF to component, or composite to HDMI, or something similar. Going from one HDMI cable to another will not produce any difference at all. Period.

Also, Monster is well known for selling over-priced cables. I'm not saying they're not good, I'm saying you can get as good or better cables elsewhere for FAR less than Monster sells for. Monster 16 gauge audio wire is the same as generic 16 gauge audio wire, just 100X as expensive, and generic 14 gauge audio wire beats Monster 16 gauge audio cable while still being 100X less expensive.

Don't try to argue here, you don't have a leg to stand on. My BSEE trumps your anecdotes by a wide margin. :cool:

Good read dude, thanks.

He defo went changed from a HDMI to a HDMI.

Could it of been because he is running it through a Monster junction box? Which is wasnt using when using the cheap cable?

Btw, my dad hasn't got his hi-fi set up with monster cables.

He has got Nordost Red Dawn speaker cables (bi-wired obviously) and Black Rhodium Code interconnects.

Monster are shit for audio.

JLF65
April 7th, 2009, 22:34
Like I said, HDMI is digital. The only difference the cable makes is how long the cable can be before you lose the signal completely. It's an all or nothing proposition. It's the main reason why you should use HDMI as opposed to component, for example. Any difference when changing an HDMI cable would have to be some other change done at the same time that was overlooked. A junction box wouldn't change that. Perhaps the color temp was changed at the same time. That would make a noticeable change in the image. Perhaps the mode of the BD Player output was changed at the same time... I know my PS3 and Dish Network box both allow for different output modes - changing from 720p to 1080p would definitely show a change on a good HDTV.

Nocuddle
April 8th, 2009, 02:44
How can u detect 10 folds? *scratchhead*

u cant improve a signal made of binaries.

or ur dad tryin to make it like

Moster cable, bah, just a nice packaging. ^_^;

sezy
August 11th, 2009, 02:13
OK monster are dear but if you look at the difference in the color bit and the transfer rate you will then see the difference the top end monster bit color and Hz trans rate
they are the best and with the mc1000hdex you get a lifetime warranty future proof as it will output P+ for all the next gen TV/consoles

Nocuddle
August 11th, 2009, 07:21
OK monster are dear but if you look at the difference in the color bit and the transfer rate you will then see the difference the top end monster bit color and Hz trans rate
they are the best and with the mc1000hdex you get a lifetime warranty future proof as it will output P+ for all the next gen TV/consoles

hi-res eyes u got there.

but sir, u r an idiot.

ogm
April 12th, 2010, 19:03
Everyone is wrong.

Its worth every penny.

This is the funniest thing I have heared this week. I am printing it out now, gonna show it to my colleagues.

As an electrical engineer working on transmission lines and stuff, I can tell you that for less than 3~4m or so, you will absolutely not see any difference between any decently made hdmi cables at all (monoprice, amazon, best buy, monster whatever). If you have 10m of cabling, then you can see other effects in digital signaling mainly due to dispersion, but I honestly doubt monster would be any better than monoprice cables. Plus if you are a audio/videophile, why would you have such long cables to begin with???

I am not even going to dignify audio and video signals being similar. It's just too easy.

As for analog, the same argument holds, for short cables, it simply does not matter. As a matter of fact, you can also use coat hangers as wires and it would work equally good.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15412&postcount=28
There is also a better scientific analysis of monster versus coat hangers somewhere on the net, check it out if you want to.

Or spend £400-1,200. Lol. Comments from scientifically challenged people are hilarious.