PDA

View Full Version : Emulating Sega CD and Sega Saturn

LXDTS
February 27th, 2006, 20:44
Hi all, I'm a n00b here. Bought my Dreamcast back when it came out (9/9/99 I believe) and have loved it since. Recently I've dusted it off and hooked it back up to my TV and fell in love again.

Now I was curious if it was posible to play my old Saturn and Sega CD games on it; I still have a few games (Sonic CD, NiGHTS, Sonic R, etc) that I want to play but both of those consoles have since died on me, lol.

Is there a way to rip the iso's off the disks and burn them onto something that'll play in DC?

Christuserloeser
February 27th, 2006, 21:18
Has been answered before, and no, both systems aren't emulated properly as of now. I'm gonna quote myself:

http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=71861&start=20

Well, there is a Saturn emu: BlueCrab's Yabause-DC.

Out of the current systems, the DC is the platform for a SAT emulator. The DC's main CPU, the SH4, is somewhat backward compatible to the Saturn SH2 CPUs. They share the same instruction set. Still it's a bit more complicated than it sounds because they use a different byte order (little endian / big endian) but BlueCrab wrote somewhere on these forums that he works on a real-time byte swapper to make full use of the possibilities.

Based on Yabause v0.0.7 which as of then only emulated the Saturn BIOS, Yabause-DC v0.0.7 emulated the BIOS too. Slow, but it did. It was a plain test port without PVR acceleration or the dynarec-like byte swapping implemented. Blue Crab is still working on Yabause-DC. As with most of us, he just doesn't have as much free time as he'd wish so it will take some time until we see a new release.

Yabause Website:
http://yabause.sourceforge.net/compatibility.php

v0.0.7 Release:
http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=60693

There's no SEGA CD emu yet. It needs more work than e.g. a NeoGeo emulator as the SCD is more powerful than a NeoGeo. Emulating the complete MD/G hardware and the even stronger SCD on DC might be possible to a degree but needs an incredible amount of work and would implement a lot of compromises like underclocking, frameskip, probably even disabled FM music or soundFX, etc. - most-likely resulting in limited compatibility.
Could be that we'll see a working SCD emu some day, but I assume it won't ever be perfect.

As quoted, there might be a SegaCD emu sooner or later, who knows ?

Eric
March 2nd, 2006, 14:41
It might be possible now that LTK got Heart of the Alien playing on the Dreamcast. I dont know of the playability as nobody else knows except people for MadriDC. But if all goes well for that it might be possible.

LBI Surf
March 31st, 2006, 18:34
Theoretically, couldn't boot discs similar to Bleem! be made to play Saturn discs?
I know that probably wouldn't be easy...

Darksaviour69
March 31st, 2006, 18:41
well saturn emulation, is not establised as psx, so it would be harder. also bleemcast was a commircal disc, while a saturn would be homebrew, its asking alot, asking someone to do it.

the good news there is a project for the p.c. called yabouse which has been ported to the dc, but its very slow and only emulates the bios, but bluecrab is still porting over new version of the p.c. version... so some day maybe... with a lot of frame skip and no sound...

ßüboni¢ $oñic
April 14th, 2006, 13:42
OK. so are you saying there is a way to play PS1 games on DC? I have a bleemdisk but the 100 gamers per bleempak were never released so im wondering. And what of GC or PS2?

Darksaviour69
April 14th, 2006, 14:29
there are the 3 Bleemcast discs (tekken 3, MGS, GT2) but thats it. chui is working on psx4all, but don't expect any releases soon, or anything near full speed

quzar
April 14th, 2006, 17:23
and there was pcsxdc, but it topped off at about 10fps with no sound.

Darksaviour69
April 14th, 2006, 17:44
and it was a pain to use, i.e. no disc swap, all had to be on one disc

quzar
April 14th, 2006, 20:12
the version i tested had disc swap. it just required bins of the games instead of actual discs.

Darksaviour69
April 14th, 2006, 20:29
yeah, actuall maybe that was it, remembering is hard

GagaMan
April 25th, 2006, 21:27
An emulator like Bleem for Saturn would be a dream come true, but it wopen any time soon. Saturn emulation on the PC is hardly perfect, so Saturn emulation on the DC ain't gonna get far soon. Mind you, that Yabuse project is enough to get hopeful about. Still, makes you wonder why the bleem company didn't try to emulate Saturn games instead of Playstation games. Unless Sega didn't like the idea (although I can't see why they wouldn't), Bleem wouldn't of got their arses sued into banrapty like they did from Sony.

Mega CD emulation would also be lovely, although I never knew it was more powerful than the Neo Geo. Oo er.