PDA

View Full Version : please help! dreamcast won't play anything burned!

JHansonJr
April 10th, 2009, 06:21
First of all, I have two dreamcasts. Their info is as follows:

Dreamcast #1:
Model HKT-3020
Manufactured October 1999
NTSC U
1 in a circle
AE Made in Japan

Dreamcast #2:
Model HKT-3020
Manufactured August 1999
NTSC U
1 in a circle
WK Made in Japan

Dreamcast 2 will play anything I try. DreamSNES, Burned CDI's (via DiscJuggler), and original NTSC commercial games.
However, Dreamcast 1 will ONLY play original NTSC commercial games.

I have tried the same discs in both consoles, using the same power cable, A/V cable, and Controller (switching only the console itself).

cloud7str1fe
July 13th, 2009, 16:42
I used to have this problem, and lucky for you i found out why. I was burning my games with a laptop. Burn games witha desktop and it should work :). someone explained why to me a while back but it was all too technical. Now to burn a game i simply use my friends desktop pc and voila, works flawlessly.

Hope that helps you out and its nothing more serious i.e. faulty dreamcasts :eek:

VampDude
July 13th, 2009, 17:07
It has nothing to do with what device the media was burnt, the main problem with CDR's is that they wear down the Dreamcast's laser in which it fails to read after an amount of time.

The two Dreamcast units I own have had no trouble in regards to discs, but I had no access to pirated games or homebrew with my first (except the SNES disc my uncle made me in 2000)... Though the unit I purchased in 2006, it had trouble reading the cheap CDR's which was sorted by purchasing the "Verbatim" brand.

Between the two Dreamcast units, I believe that you have used one more than the other.