PDA

View Full Version : Metareview - Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

wraggster
April 10th, 2009, 22:41
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/04/chroniclesofriddickaoda.jpg

It's a strange concept, but Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena might be 2009's answer (in value) to The Orange Box. Riddick's return essentially includes three games for the price of one, with Butcher Bay, Assault on Dark Athena and new multiplayer features rounding out the retail package. Sure, the quality bar may not be as high as Valve's five-game release, but value is important. Here's the word around the industry campfire about Riddick's HD outing (a second opinion since you've already read our review, right?):
GamePro (90/100): "But when you step back and consider the entire package, you start to appreciate Dark Athena for what it truly is. Instead, look at Dark Athena as a flawed yet enjoyable way to extend the thrill ride that is Escape from Butcher Bay."
GameTrailers (84/100): "The Escape may handily trump the Assault, but neophyte Riddicks have a unique experience to work through. Though vets who return may begrudge Athena, it's doubtful they won't finish. It's an abridged effort, and more of a dreaded point-five than a true sequel, but with both missions it still reigns as the best first-person, melee, stealth, parkour game featuring Vin Diesel."
1UP (B-): "As a product, this package is recommendable to anyone who hasn't experienced the first game, or wishes to add it back to their current library. It also includes a surprisingly fun multiplayer suite, with the Riddick vs. Everyone Else mode "Pitch Black" as the main attraction. But as single-player games, the unsatisfying Dark Athena should be played as a curiosity and then put back where it belongs: in Butcher Bay's shadow."
Worthplaying (75/100): "Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is half excellent game, half mediocre game. Unfortunately, the excellent half is the same game that was released years ago, just with a small new segment taken from the PC port."

mike_jmg
April 13th, 2009, 22:12
I always wanted to try Escape from Butcher Bay, and it wasn't on the Xbox1 backwards compatibility list.

I'll try to get it if I see it, mainly to play Butcher Bay :thumbup:

The new one doesn't look that bad, only the graphics hehe