PDA

View Full Version : NEOGEO CDZ Emulator for PSP 0.2.1

Hawq
March 1st, 2006, 18:47
NJ has updated his NeoGeoCD Emulator for the PSP, heres whats new:

slightly dodgy translation of news via worldlingo follows:
Modification point: 0.2.1

24bit correcting the trouble which has been frozen with PNG picture reading of the color.

Modification point: 0.2.0

The picture of the background and the load picture such as menu was modified in PNG type.
 The 8bit color (256 colors) or the 24bit color (is converted to the 16bit color) the picture is enabled.
 Logo.Png/loading.With the file name, png, EBOOT.Please put on the same folder as PBP.
 Support of BMP type was the intention of leaving for a while, but modifying schedule, 0.2.It abolishes with 0
 It did.
Because the method of acquiring the date of the system of PSP is finally ascertained, renewing the state data
 It did. Date/the time which is indicated in PSP is recorded that way.
0.1.It is change of the controller which is added with 9, but each time opening from the menu, as for choosing
 Because with the grapple game and the like time is required a little when you practice making use of VS mode,
 The prayer change button was added to キーコンフィグ. (Most Switch Player under)
BIOS when starting when it sleeps. When closing the menu, correcting the trouble which has been frozen.
 Problem of freezing is thought with this that it was cancelled completely.
Battery it tried to indicate the remaining amount in the menu.
Battery the remaining amount remained and when decreasing, tried to indicate warning message.
Game picture before the renewing in order to clear the whole picture, it corrected.
Zlib 1.2.It renewed to 3.

* It was the schedule which also the adjustment of VSYNC does, but for the time being it came to the point of waiving.
 While with respect to related to operation time, reading the file little by little with the playback of MP3, doing decoding
 It is, but when this reading occurs in VBLANK, depending on the load of reading
 It seems that picture renewal processing occurs the disorder of the picture lately.
 (Unless there is CDDA playback and with is with it tries comparing opening demonstration of ブリキンガー it is understood well
 With you think. Cancelling frame limit with 333MHz, when it executes, even with MP3 playback to be, 150% or more
 Because speed appears, it is found that it is not problem of operation time. )

Download via comments

Voltron
March 1st, 2006, 19:57
Seems to work great. I'm using this on a 2.00 PSP with TIFF eLoader Brown Ale with latest patch file. A little slow on Pulstar in heavy action with lots of activity on the screen even at 333MHZ. Drops as low as 50-51 FPS. The game Zintrick has not worked for me since 0.1.9 bugfix 3. Not sure what broke.

All in all, this is got to be in the top 3 list of best EMU's. Well done NJ. Thank you very much.

Illegal Machine
March 1st, 2006, 20:15
All in all, this is got to be in the top 3 list of best EMU's?

Which one in your opinion could possibly be better may I ask?

b8a
March 1st, 2006, 21:26
Here's a different translation<del>, complete with the original Japanese text,</del>(nevermind, I couldn't get the Japanese to display correctly) for those who are interested:
<div style="width:95%; margin: auto; font-size: smaller; padding: 2%; background-color:rgb(230,230,230)">
I've updated this, but if you've already downloaded 0.2.0 and aren't going to be using 24bit color PNG pictures, there's no need for you to download this.
<hr style="width: 90%">
It's now clear that the VSYNC adjustments that I thought were going to take some time are impossible, so for the time being, I'm updating this to 0.2.
I've also updated the source code. Sorry to keep you waiting.
<b>What's Changed: 0.2.1</b>
<ul>
<li>Fixed a problem with the program freezing when reading in 24bit color PNG pictures</li>
</ul>
<b>What's Changed: 0.2.0</b>
<ul>
<li>I changed the format of the pictures used for the backgrounds of the menus and the load screen to PNG format.
You can now use pictures that are 8bit color (256 colors) or 24bit color (gets changed to 16bit color). Just place them in the same folder as EBOOT.PBP as logo.png/loading.png. I had been planning on maintaing support for the BMP format for a while, but I've changed plans and have completely abolished it with 0.2.0.</li>
<li>As I've finally figured out how the PSP obtains the date, I've updated the state data. The date/time is now recorded exactly as it is shown on the PSP.</li>
<li>As for the controller switch that I added in 0.1.9, since it's a hassle to have to open the menu and change it every time you need to when practicing in the VS mode of Fighting Games, etc..., I've added an switch player button to the key configuration. (At the bottom, "Switch Player")</li>
<li>Fixed a problem with going to sleep when launching the BIOS and a freeze when closing the menu. I think that this should have solved all of the freezing problems.</li>
<li>I've made it so the remaining battery charge displays in the menu.</li>
<li>I've made it so that a warning message is displayed when the remaining battery power gets low.</li>
<li>I've fixed it so that before the screen is updated, the whole screen is cleared.</li>
<li>Updated zlib to 1.2.3.</li>
</ul>
?It had been the plan to adjust the VSYNC, but I'm putting that aside for the time being.
Because of conditions surrounding processing speeds, I currently have it playing back MP3 by reading it in and decoding little bits at a time but, when this reading occurs during a VBLANK, it looks like the burden of the reading operation causes the screen update processing to fall behind and results in tearing.
(I think you can witness this if you play the opening demo of Brikinger both with CDDA playback on and then off. Since it can perform at more than 150% speed even with MP3 playback when at 333MHz and with no frame limit, I now understand that this is not a problem caused by the speed of the processing.)
<b>What I plan to change, fix from 0.2 on</b>
<ul>
<li>VSYNC adjustment... Without changing the MP3 playback methoud it's impossible to improve this given the current state.</li>
<li>Add whatever else I may think of as it comes to me.</li>
</ul>
<b>State of development:</b>
<ul><li>I'm going to double check the things that the PSP can and can't do, so for the time being I'm stopping updates.
If you have any requests, it'd help me out if you sent them now.</li></ul>
</div>

Voltron
March 1st, 2006, 22:16
Which one in your opinion could possibly be better may I ask?

Well when it comes to My Own personal preference. I would have to order it like this:

1. s9xTYL
2. NeoGeo CDZ
3. Hue

I'm not too big on Fighting games or else this EMU would surely be top of my list. I'm a die hard RPG fan so the SNES is my top pick. I also love the Turbo Grafx 16 / Turbo Duo systems and 2D shooters like Raiden, R-Type, Blazing Lazers, etc. are also a favorite.

But like I said, this is my personal preference based a lot on nostalgia. I grew up with NES, SNES, TG16. I know other people will have a different top 3 list. But this EMU should be in everybody's list.

This EMU has an incredible GUI, thanks b8a for the detailed translation. Without it I would not have known that this EMU now can set a hotkey for switching between player 1 & 2. Amazing!

Fighting games are great on the Neo Geo CD and the s9xTYL team seem to have made progress with multiplayer. Because this EMU is based off the EMU from the s9xTYL team, perhaps eventually multiplayer could also be implemented in NeoGeo CDZ. Multiplayer on this EMU would be incredible if possible.

NJ expressed a wish for people to contact him with suggestions. Does anyone know the e-mail address for this coder?

b8a
March 2nd, 2006, 01:28
This is the only address I could find on his page:

[email protected]

Illegal Machine
March 2nd, 2006, 03:07
TYL is a POS.

Try uo_SNESy32 I think this one is vastly superior. if you think that TYL is faster/smoother or something you just dont have y32 set properly.

TYL is junk as of now, I think its still in the beta stage if you ask me, it can't even use the analog and d-pad at the same time, or exit properly.

ryutoken20
March 2nd, 2006, 04:55
what would be the right settings, i tried both and on my 2.6 PSP they both run really slow for me

Illegal Machine
March 2nd, 2006, 06:23
For this or snes y32?

ryutoken20
March 2nd, 2006, 22:55
for snes y32