PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good idea to upgrade from 1.5 to 2.0?

TEAL DRAGON128
March 3rd, 2006, 01:56
Think about the features:

web browser
can still run most homebrew using an eloader
able to play psp umd games like GTA: Liberty City Stories.

and I (think) I can downgrade back to 1.5

Tell me if you think it is a good idea.

And please tell me if there are any down-sides about 2.0

masta_g_86
March 3rd, 2006, 02:14
Bad idea.

1.5 runs ALL homebrew. Check out Fanjita's list of compatible homebrew to see if any of it applies to you.

As for web browser, it sounds nice, but why bother? My cell phone has access almost everywhere.

GTA LCS is another thing I don't really care about. GTA has been done 3 times prior to this game in 3D, and I doubt LCS can really compare to its PS2 originals.

Yes, you can downgrade back to 1.5 if you don't like 2.0, so go ahead an give it a shot...

TEAL DRAGON128
March 3rd, 2006, 02:18
What snes and sega genesis emulators work for 2.0?

Do movies converted with psp video 9 work?

Is it true that you can downgrade?

Sorry for asking so many questions... I just want to get the most out of my PSP.

tryqus
March 6th, 2006, 06:19
Well ive downgraded/upgraded numerous times. No ill effects felt as of yet.

SnesPSP TYL 0.2c works fine, so theres snes for ya.

PSPGenesis 0.18c works.

Ive had issues with dgen but apprently a few versions of it work.

Do remember that homebrew on the 2.0 invovles the use of an eboot loader. Im running 0.85, because 0.95 has been acting screwy on my psp. That said, try 0.95 first. If you have issues try an older version.

Your movies will work.

I stay at 2.0 for two reasons. GTA:LCS (Meh to you Mr. Negativity) and Burnout Legends. Ah yes and there is the web browser, which is sorta fun to whip out in starbucks. Upon trying to connect you will be met with a friendly virgin mobile sign in page. At this point the best idea is to find a coffee shop that offers free wifi. Enjoy your stay...and your latte.

One last thing. DO NOT upgrade beyond 2.0

If you do, you can kiss any chance of downgrading in the near future good bye.

-Tryqus Loves Frapps

raff5
March 6th, 2006, 08:56
i would think with the release of the new MPH game loader, which allows us 1.5 users to run version 2 games like GTA:lcs without upgrading, that the dilemma of whether to upgrade or not would be made easier.

you can now load your fully legal and purchased GTA umd (plus a few others-maybe all with future updates) by using MPH's game loader.

i am a big homebrew fan and would not upgrade, worried about continual upgrade/downgrade etc, i sat patiently hoping there would be a break thru. it did not help that i received GTA for xmas and it had sat in the cellophane wrapping till friday 3rd of march.

i have tried MPHgameloader with a few games that req f/w update, GTA, king kong, SW battlefront 2 all work
Sims2 and smackdown vs raw don't

this software shows what is possible, i hope that future updates will expand compatibility with game loading, whilst keeping 1.5 firmware for maximum homebrew compatibility.

i admit still no web browser, again there are ways to browse web on 1.5 albeit not in the same league as the standard psp from later f/w versions.
all in all i would have to say the dilemma to upgrade or not was close before, new games & web browser vs homebrew

but now i would say the gap is widening somewhat in favour of sticking with 1.5 and using MPHgameloader.

in conclusion my opinion, humble as it is,

stick to 1.5, things may change in the future, say with f/w v3 etc, but for now stick with 1.5

raff5

Thanks to MPH for a great game loader, keep up the good work.

Napalm-Death
March 7th, 2006, 03:05
I can't believe that I never thought this was going to happen when I had started the 2.6 upgrade a month ago.

SSaxdude
March 11th, 2006, 23:27
StarWars BattleFront 2 doesn't require 2.0. It worked fine on my 1.5 without any loader.