PDA

View Full Version : Field Commander: G.I. Joe Wars for adults

wraggster
March 3rd, 2006, 17:25
I must say this is one game that looks killer and is on the top of my PSP games buying list, heres the news from Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/03/field-commander-g-i-joe-wars-for-adults/):

SOE's upcoming Field Commander title for the PSP--a strategic response to Nintendo's Advance Wars series on their line of handhelds--isn't ashamed of noting its turn-based influence.

Or, at least, Clint Worley (the game's producer), isn't ashamed to say so. He's also quick to cite Commander's more "mature" design--for an older audience that might not appreciate Wars' cartoony characters and storyline--as well as the mini-episodic nature of each mission from the single-player campaign that has something to do with watching G.I. Joe growing up. (Cobraaaaa... la-la-la-la-la-la! Er, we mean... yo, Joe?)

There was also some chitchat concerning new IPs, working in 3D, and offering the ability to layer different types of units in the same place, but all that Joe talk got us to wondering why no one's picked up that game license like they've done for the Transformers and that series' supposed new movie. At least PSP owners have one more strategy RPG to look forward to after the potential disaster that was the only-one-review title (as of right now) Generation of Chaos. Judging by that game's sole review score, a faithful copy of Advance Wars could be a very good thing.

Check out the great screens via comments.

Virus
March 3rd, 2006, 19:34
omg i want this game, i love these type of games!

ArugulaZ
March 4th, 2006, 00:14
So... incredibly... lame.

"This game's not MATURE enough for us, yo! Let's make a rip-off, full of characters with stupid phat poppin' fresh style!"

This is exactly the kind of mindset that's responsible for the metric ton of trend-chasing garbage that pours out of the video game industry (187 Ride or Die, 50 Cent: Bulletproof, Mark Ecko's Getting Up, etc.).

JR