PDA

View Full Version : Question about the gameplay of Genesis and SNes emulators on the PSP

Ottica
March 4th, 2006, 17:01
Hi, I'm new here (obviously...) but have been reading the forums for a few weeks. Recently, I decided to buy an Archos GMini402, until I realised the PSP has emulators. The deciding factor on which one I purchase will be how well the PSP can run Sega Genesis and SNes roms.

I was wondering how smooth the gameplay was, if there was any lag or if it was unbearably slow. Is it as smooth as playing it on an emulator on your computer? Does Genesis run smoother than SNes, or is it the other way around?

If anyone can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated, and I will try to assist anyone else that needs help if I seem to know what I'm doing. I'm sorry if this has already been posted here, but like I said, I'm new and haven't seen it anywhere.

Thanks guys. Sofar everyone's been very nice and helpful around here.

Amiga
March 4th, 2006, 17:49
Both the megadrive(genesis) and the snes emulator are almost perfect,especial megadrive one which i think is perfect even though u have to increase your psp CPU speed to 333mhz.:D

Ottica
March 4th, 2006, 17:59
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'm leaning towards the PSP now. Does anyone have any information on how SNes runs on the PSP? Thanks again in advance.

kyus
March 4th, 2006, 18:10
snes runs perfectly, apart from mode7 and FX chip games like yoshis story and starwing/starfox. PSP has no competition in terms of emulators. PSPSONE is coming along nicely too, and monkey64 should eventually emulate a few n64 games at playable speed. Just buy one... pda's suck if you're just looking to play games on them. Actually... they just suck in general. I had a tapwave zodiac... urgh... I don't know why people would actually make everyday use of its functions.

Ottica
March 4th, 2006, 18:55
Alright, there it is. I'll be buying a PSP in a few days then. Thanks for the information guys, it was really helpful. Hopefully I'll be as big of a help around here once I get up to speed with everything.

I actually have one more question. Which version of firmware would come on a PSP if I went and bought one right now? Just wondering so I know what I'll have to do to get the emulators going once I get mine.

Amiga
March 4th, 2006, 20:07
Best if you get one off ebay,coz any you go out and buy from a shop will have firmware that cant play homebrew.

theirs a store in hongkong whos names escapes me i think still sells 1.5 firmware psp.
lik sang it is :)

Ottica
March 4th, 2006, 20:50
Well that sucks. If I can't run Homebrew stuff, then I'm definately going to go with the Gmini402. I don't want to have to buy GTA: LCS just to be able to run emulators on the PSP. I don't want to spend any more money on video games, I've spent way too much in my life.

TheEmulatorGuy
March 4th, 2006, 21:54
You can run homebrew using the GTA exploit (on all versions), but not all of it will run (SNES emulators and Genesis emulator will though).

Your best bet is to get a PSP from http://www.liksang.com - make sure it is between 1.5 and 2.0. (on these versions, all homebrew will run, except the 2.0 but you can downgrade 2.0 to 1.5)

Once you get it, ask what you're having trouble with and we'll help you.

YaWhateva
March 6th, 2006, 15:52
Buy a PSP! Get one off of that site EmulatorGuy put up. Very worth it.