PDA

View Full Version : files on PC, transfer to PS2

jxx2005
April 17th, 2009, 04:38
What is the best method to do this?

is there a proper file manager for PS2 that i could use to transfer the file from a USB mem stick

and if so, can said file manager read NTFS?

if you need more info just ask

FrierTuck
April 19th, 2009, 23:07
It's funny because I'm trying to do the exact opposite.

JLF65
April 20th, 2009, 10:03
uLE (http://psx-scene.com/forums/official-ulaunchelf-forums/) has the ability to make the PS2 into an FTP server. That's the easiest way to transfer stuff either direction. You just use any ftp client on the PC.

FrierTuck
April 20th, 2009, 22:43
so whats the dealio with uLE

FrierTuck
April 20th, 2009, 22:47
well, don't we need chipped ps2s to do such a thing as launch uLE

jxx2005
April 21st, 2009, 18:04
i have a softmodded PS2

JLF65
April 23rd, 2009, 01:32
I think Free McBoot is the most popular way to run stuff on the PS2 right now. It comes with uLE and some other stuff. I just switched myself (I was previously using the ID Exploit with a PS1 disc). FMCB is much better, and doesn't need anything beyond the memory card. I like how it integrates the options into the regular PS2 menu.

If you aren't sure about FMCB, that's over at PSXScene as well. Just a forum up from the uLE forum I linked above.

ra_dlanor
May 10th, 2009, 13:57
While FTP does work with uLE, it is not a good method to use for gamesave transfers, as all the special flags and timestamps that are specific to an MC gamesave will be lost in such transfers. So even though the files and their containing folder 'arrive' correctly on the backup medium, the game may not accept the gamesave as valid when it is restored to MC again.

So instead of FTP it is far better to use the uLE FileBrowser to handle gamesave backup and restore operations, by using the command "psuPaste" for such gamesave transfers instead of the regular "Paste" command, as used for all normal file/folder copying in this FileBrowser.

The "psuPaste" command is only available when either source or destination device is a memory card, while the other end is not.

So if you first use the "Copy" command for gamesaves on MC, you can then browse to a non-MC device (HDD, USB, LAN) and there use the "psuPaste" command, to create a single ".psu" file per gamesave, containing all its files as well as the containing folder, and preserving all PS2 specific flags and timestamps inside that file.

Later you can then restore such gamesaves exactly as they were, by first using the "Copy" command on those ".psu" files on a non-MC device and then browse to your MC and use the "psuPaste" command. That will then create a new gamesave folder for each of the ".psu" files and restore all of the files the original gamesave contained, also restoring all flags and timestamps of those files and the containing folder.

The result is a restored gamesave that each game will accept as being the original one, even for cases where gamesaves are not supposed to be copiable. (eg: SOTET 'Battle Trophy' saves)

When you want to use this method in place of FTP, it is the "host:" device in the uLE FileBrowser that allows you to access a PC through LAN, provided that this PC is running a HOST protocol client at the time. For this I normally use "PS2ClientLoader" which automates the use of "ps2client.exe" (commandline tool), but many other users prefer to use RadHostClient as the PC-side client. (Actually they behave like a server, as you interact directly only with the PS2.)

Also note that for security reasons uLE is by default prohibited from writing to "host:", so as to make it impossible for newbs to damage their PC content by honest mistake. To allow backups to be written to "host:" it is necessary to 'hand edit' the text file "LAUNCHELF.CNF" of the uLE installation, so as to change a directive in it from: "NET_HOSTwrite = 0" into "NET_HOSTwrite = 1". This can even be done without leaving uLE, by using the internal text editor subprogram (found in FileBrowser as "MISC/TextEditor"). But a restart or at least a CNF reload is needed for the new directive to take effect.

Some constructive googling will lead you to info on all of the above and most of it is found at psx-scene, which is also the home site of uLE releases.

NB: The ".psu" format used by uLE for gamesave backups is identical to the format used for the gamesave backup hardware devices sold by HKEMS.

Best regards: dlanor