PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast Web Browzer Premier UPDATE(tweeking-optimizing)

Cast128dreams
April 18th, 2009, 12:42
I was wondering for those who are still online with the Dreamcast(like me)...It would be great and interesting if someone can update and re-program the original Dreamcast web bowser.

Dreamcast latest web bowser is the web browser premier which was inside the BBAs box.But unfortunately this Borwzer nowadays is outdated.

I collected some information around for people who got the Dreamcast online in 2009.They told me that Dreamcast cant play the youtube videos cause Dreamcast cant render the FLV video files.Also sites which has java applications cant be vewied from Dreamcast.

Fortunately Emessenger runs great on Dreamcast,plus ebay,email acounts....so far so good

So my question is:Is possible to UPDATE the Dreamcast web browzer?
Reprograming the web browzer and make it capable reading all the latest media on the net.Active x control,java,Flv videos,css.
Is that possible?

Honestly..Wouldnt be really handy and pretty interesting for the Dreamcast scene?

BlueCrab
April 18th, 2009, 13:12
No, its not possible because obviously the source code isn't available. Not just the browser's source isn't available, but also things like flash are closed source as well.

Cast128dreams
April 21st, 2009, 00:16
Well if its not possible maybe you can program your own UPDATE dreamcast browzer..
Is it possible to creat your own Dreamcast broowzer?

No..i think flash Dreamcast can render.This fuctionality is included in the web browser3 ......years before..

Also there is a web browser for the Dreamcast wich is called XPD and it was made by psilicon dreams.Maybe this one is open source!!!..

Darksaviour69
April 21st, 2009, 00:34
Creating a web browser for the dc would not be a easy job. It was talked about alot, back in the day, but i don't think its going to happen now.

btw XPD was a custom version of the official dc browser, which was/is technically illegal and there is only so much "customisation" you could do with it

Cast128dreams
April 21st, 2009, 09:41
Creating a web browser for the dc would not be a easy job. It was talked about alot, back in the day, but i don't think its going to happen now.

btw XPD was a custom version of the official dc browser, which was/is technically illegal and there is only so much "customisation" you could do with it

Yes but it will boost up Dreamcast scene many levels..Its really shame that Dreamcast browsers are outdated..For those who want to use it online instead of turning on their pc...

I mean it would be a success if Dreamcast could understand internet better.

So all coders out there its impossible?

Darksaviour69
April 21st, 2009, 12:25
its not impossible, its just a lot of work, and 2-5 years ago while the scene was a lot more active, many talked about it (i think metafox tried to get a project started), but it just to big of a job and not enough interest for it. Now there is even less demand and less coders.....

so while its not impossible, its not likely, unfortunately

Cast128dreams
April 21st, 2009, 21:50
Sounds sad.....

But the scene still goes(less powerfull but keep going)...And if something will get a release for example a Dreamcast update web browser we will spread the news and many will try this..Most of the users in web watch youtube videos and playing java games online.And i beleive that with plenty of coding Dreamcast has the power to render FLV videos and encrypt Java aplication language

Making a Dreamcast software like this automatically u give a motive to get your Dreamcast online..Old or not.. web will run GREAT.

Many guys in onlineconsoles.com have dreamcat online and they use everyday to play phantasy star online in private free servers,googling,emailing,shoping(ebay)

Darksavour do you know where i can find Metafox and talk with him?
I want to know anynews and what happened that he gave up his project..

Darksaviour69
April 22nd, 2009, 02:37
Don't get me wrong, I would love it see happen, but just don't think it will at this stage.

As for metafox, he's been MIA for about a year now

Cast128dreams
April 28th, 2009, 10:00
XPD is a nice browser for the Dreamcast..It supports many flash files and other functions....

So darksaviour the only hope is a future update of the XPD from psilicon dreams
right?

Eric
July 17th, 2009, 17:39
XPD is a nice browser and yes in someways its technically illegal but PlanetWeb have given the XPD guys the source to make the browser. I seen the owner or someone who works for Planetweb talk to people at onlineconsoles.com about Planetweb and XDP. Planetweb these days dont really care about the browser as today have nothing to do with browsers they do other things now. Anyways im sure if you look it up you'll see the guy there i am unsure if its some idiot that poses himself as the owner or ceo of Planetweb.