PDA

View Full Version : Ps2 saves to pc?

FrierTuck
April 19th, 2009, 05:04
Ok, heres the long and short of it:

I'm going off to college and I don't have the interest or space to bring my actual ps2. My newest laptop is pretty well spec'd so I plan on just bringing my games and running them on an emulator or something. I need some straight answers on how to get my memory card's saves on to my pc via usb or whatever without a significant amount of silliness or tom foolery in the department of homebrewing. It's an older, unchipped model and none of my friends in the area know anything about modding, needless to say no one I know has any advice for me. Does anyone have a solution that would let me preform such a data moving operation?

Oh, and it's good to be back, for the fourth coming of
Friertuck.

Tesseract
April 23rd, 2009, 02:39
Well, sadly I've been unable to get a PS2 emulator running at any sort of acceptable speed on MY decently-specced PC, so I haven't been able to test it out.

You can hunt around for Save data converters, though. I don't recall the names of the tools right off hand, but it would let you create a memory card image from the raw files you'd suck off the PS2 via FTP or by transferring them to a USB Flash Drive.

If none of your friends have a modded PS2, soft or hard, then you'll need to pick up a Pro Action Replay MAX. That'll actually let you archive your gamesaves without any modding whatsoever, but it'll also open up the ability to plan FreeMCBoot or whatnot on your memcard afterward.

FrierTuck
April 27th, 2009, 03:05
Trust me, my emulator works. That shouldn't be a problem. To be honest, I'd probably be fine just using someone else's saves from the net. O kinda realized that any of the games I owned which were worth picking back up, were also worth replaying from the beginning.

ra_dlanor
May 10th, 2009, 13:29
Trust me, my emulator works. That shouldn't be a problem. To be honest, I'd probably be fine just using someone else's saves from the net. O kinda realized that any of the games I owned which were worth picking back up, were also worth replaying from the beginning.
I agree with the 'replay from scratch' notion, as there is often little point in picking up a gamesave made near the end of a long and complex game. Starting to replay from that point will give you none of the original entertainment, so it is often better to start over with a clean MC, to relive the game as you played it the first time.

However, regardless of how you play the games it is always a good idea to have some good homebrew 'console manager' to handle gamesave backups as well as other tasks.

For this I recommend the homebrew program "uLaunchELF" (in whose development I am involved myself) and for booting it I recommend the soft-mod known as "Free McBoot" or FMCB for short.

This is similar to the old MC exploit in that it does not require any hardware changes, but unlike that old exploit FMCB is compatible to nearly all PS2/PSTwo consoles (both fat and slim), except for the very latest SCPH-900xx models where Sony blocked this boot method. (Not an exploit method, but an original Sony method for firmware upgrades.)

For those who can't manage the FMCB installation themselves (requires running a homebrew installer on your console) there is even a volunteer service consisting of guys who will install it for you at no charge, as long as you pay the postage both ways (using no cash, but just prepaid return envelope).

Just google for: FMCB install volunteer
and you will get lots of hits about it

Best regards: dlanor