PDA

View Full Version : Emu's/Apps/files 99min cdr, what brand? Plus gigarec format

law56ker
April 19th, 2009, 20:57
I have a dvd/cd drive capable of burning 99 min cdrs. I was wondering if anyone else has tried 99 min cdrs on there dreamcast. I'm going buy some, just not sure what brand. So fell free to suggest a brand if you had success.

Also Has anyone tried gigarec, to burn dreamcast emu, data discs?

For those that don't know, certain plextor drives allowed you use an format called gigarec which allows you to fit over a gig on a standard 700 min cdr.

My burner is also capable of using gigarec. Though gigarec format doesn't support multi session cdr's so the emulators whould have to be self boot, or you could use the cdr to hold media or rom files.

I have to buy some cdrs to try gigarec out.

quzar
April 19th, 2009, 22:42
99 minute discs work fine, but of course the people who have tried them, afaik, havn't tested every sector or anything.

Gigarec is another story. If it were exactly like GD, then we couldn't use it at all since homebrew doesn't read from GDs. Apparently Gigarec 1.1x has been tested and can work fine, and Gigarec 1.4x has been tested not to work. In between, who knows. It pretty much shouldn't really work though.

law56ker
April 20th, 2009, 00:55
I'm going test some gigarec format later. But need help.

Quzar what do I need to edit to make an emu,app be non self bootable "non-multisession" and instead boot off a bootdisc.

What files do I need to check and if needed edit, what do i change, and what tools.

I need to do this because gigarec format discs can't be multisession thus files can't be edited to be self bootable.

law56ker
April 20th, 2009, 00:59
Quzar do you have any recommendations for 99 min cdrs. I was looking at some ritek brand cdrs. Also What do you mean by people haven't tried every sector. Can you explain that to me so i can understand it.

quzar
April 20th, 2009, 06:45
I've heard people say it worked, but I've never seen anyone do exhaustive tests of any sort. For example, burning a disc full of bor mods or something, and it works, 99 min, but for all they know the very last file on the disc is actually corrupt.

An exhaustive test might mean filling up an entire 99 minute CDR then writing a program to look at every single sector of the CD and make sure it can read it.

I don't have any recommendations, I've never used 99 minute CDRs before.