PDA

View Full Version : Monkey 64 News - First Signs of Commercial Games Support (Nintendo 64 Emu for PSP/DC)

wraggster
March 7th, 2006, 20:56
PSMonkey (http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk) has posted some great news about his Nintendo 64 Emulator for PSP (which is also coming to Dreamcast thanks to GPF (http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk)), heres what he has posted:

<blockquote>Yep, I've got a secret and I have lied a bit to downplay it. The reason was I did not want to get people overly excited to early but I am slowly feeling confident at the current time. While the secret is not mario64 running it is something that is pushing me close to that. So what is it?

Well since about thursday last week (after the absolute crap demo started working) i've been working my ass off like crazy on rsp emulation. Just yesterday I finaly had my first rdp opcode executed and today have been working my ass off to implement dummy opcodes so I can progress it enough to render out untextured quads.

Are games running? Well no they aren't. Currently I am experimenting with two roms. The first is Mortal Kombat trillogy & the second is the PD rom VNes (nes emu by JL-Picard). Both are calling on the rdp to render and have been a great source to help advance emulation. So what about mario? Well actualy mario is also using the rsp yet is waiting on me to implement vector opcodes. Once I can get mortal kombat playable then I will start up on vector ops in hopes of getting mario up and running soon.

So the big question is, will the 9th release run games? The answer is maybe. If it does it will only be mortal kombat trillogy. Tho once I do get mario64 running a new build will be released.

So that is my big suprise secret. I hope you all enjoy it & pray to the monkey gods I can get mkt running by the 9th.

PS, once I get a fully rendered out screen, I will post pictures.

PS, the RSP/RDP is being done LLE style atm with a pure interpreter (minus the drawing which is piped to the psp gpu, not gonna software render triangles. pfff). This is important as it will let me experiment on the instructions to find a faster method on different parts of the hardware.</blockquote>

Check out the screenshots in this Forum Topic (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20008&page=2&pp=10)

Things are looking very interesting for both PSP and Dreamcast users (although the Dreamcast has less memory), keep your eyes peeled to both PSMonkey`s (http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk) and GPF`s (http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk)) websites for more news on this emulator.

Sterist
March 7th, 2006, 21:45
am i the only one who doesnt understand this stuff? lol

Sharkey
March 7th, 2006, 22:17
am i the only one who doesnt understand this stuff? lol

Nope, I haven't a clue what in the hell he is talking about but hey, 1 step closer is is one step closer and I'll take it.

I would be happy just to play MK Trilogy being an old school MK fan.
Of course they're are others that I want but they are mostly different than others.
I for one would love to play through Turok 2 and Doom 64 again, love my FPSs.
I always like the Extreme G racing games quite a bit too.

Anyways, great stuff PSMonkey, keep up the great work and you'll get there.
We believe in you.
And you know your in the spotlight with all eyes are on you,
especially being famous now that you're in a mag. ;)

Erban Terrorist
March 7th, 2006, 23:04
Hey I was just wondering.Does anyone think this could be run in user-mode??I already guessed it would be 1.50 only but hey just a thought. Anyways GREAT JOB PSMONKEY!!!!The psp scene awaits....

pkmusicmaker
March 7th, 2006, 23:33
I love it when people work on Nintendo emulators for the PSP. It's such a slap in the face to Nintendo. One less reason to own a DS, aslo.

aries2k4
March 8th, 2006, 00:24
Excellent news. didnīt understand most of the tech stuff, but I got the part about mortal kombat, lol. I would definately like to see this happen. Keep up the great work!!!

chickenclaws
March 8th, 2006, 00:32
W00t GO MONKEY!!!!!
whoa my brain is fried with all this DONKEY crap

DPyro
March 8th, 2006, 00:36
Ya, now that I've solved our PSdonkey troubles we can shine the spotlight back on PSmonkey.

Sharkey
March 8th, 2006, 00:47
I'm going to love it when Donkey releases the eboots and makes you all eat your words.
I have mad respect for Monkey, that is sure, but what is so hard to believe that someone else has one in the works?
Just because of his similar name and a low quality video, or is it just your loyalty towards Monkey?

I'm not saying even I believe the guy but if it is true there are alot of you that have been quite rude towards him and thats one of the reasons these coders get so pissed off at the psp scene.

Being skeptical is ok, but complete disrepect with no reason is not.
How about we here set an example that we are not the assholes many think we are.
Especially now, when there are big names in the industry and even gaming magazines that frequent the site.
They don't need to see that crap, give the guy a chance is all I'm saying.
If it was me and I really had one I wouldn't release it here, I'll tell you that.

meh, I probably should have posted in his thread, sorry for the off topicness,
the chicken made me do it.

edit:@sniper, Don't pat yourself too hard on the back, your 100% sure huh?
I doubt it.

matts1900
March 8th, 2006, 00:49
ah man not this again. Sharkey its a locked subject, he cried wolf too many times forget about it.

Sharkey
March 8th, 2006, 00:51
Im using him as an example, Ive seen this same behavior many times here before and TBH it sickens me.

DPyro
March 8th, 2006, 00:51
Got off it already. It's been proven hes a fake, lets not start this again.

Sharkey
March 8th, 2006, 00:55
Got off it already. It's been proven hes a fake, lets not start this again.

Im using him as an example

;)

idapimp
March 8th, 2006, 01:12
yall are discussing something retarded and off topic. good job PSmonkey. keep up the awesome work. we have faith in you.

PSmonkey
March 8th, 2006, 02:25
Sharkey,

I have to agree with you a bit but at the same time I think too many were taking what he said too far with out undoutable proof. I did at all times give him the benifit of a dout that he did accomplish what he said.

Sorry not to sound full of my self right now but if I was not working on an n64 emulator right now in the first place, more would have cried fake because everybody see n64 as being imposible. I'm personaly putting my reputation at stake to prove my claim it is posible with alot of work & also working my ass off like crazy to give you guys all a build to prove it. I personaly don't want all the fame i'm getting recently. I just want to take on a challange and meet my goals.

Authors deserve respect and admiration for their hard work but at the same time, An author who tries to make a bold claim needs to prove his claim to others. It's not hard at all. I hope on the 9th I can prove to you guys that n64 will eventualy be a reality but it will be a long road to get to get there.

bugo
March 8th, 2006, 02:33
man! you rock, do you know that?
Please continue with your work... its awesome...
I have no doubt that this emu will rock PSP community forever

shadowhawk22
March 8th, 2006, 04:38
Monkey, I have a question about release of Mario 64. I know that estimates are useless, and that when we get closer to Mario 64 release things will probably quicken a bit. But I was wondering if you know about when Mario 64 will be playable on the PSP. Maybe 1 year? Two years? It seems so much work... Anyway, good work, and keep it up please. We all respect and love you for all the work you do for us.

,Hawk

DPyro
March 8th, 2006, 05:39
I'd estimate a couple of months maybe (just look at how much progress he's made so far).

Sharkey
March 8th, 2006, 21:47
Thanks for the post Monkey,
I'm sorry if I went overboard I just wanted t get my point across.
I understand your point and the others completely, I guess I was just sticking up for the wrong guy.
Anyways enough of that.

Honestly you can't buy the type of attention you are going to receive with your emulator.
I myself am even skeptical if it is possible, but if it is I'm sure you will be the one to do it, and for that you deserve the attention, whether you want it or not. ;)
It will most definately be my favorite emu when released, just the thought of it makes me all warm and fuzzy lol.

Good luck, our hopes are with you.

PSdonkey
March 8th, 2006, 22:16
I hope you get your N64 emulator working good also. I wish you good luck in finishing your work. As a tip for you, even though you don't have a dynamic recomplier implented in your programming, an interpreter will get you started in loading the n64 rom files but with lots of bugs. What you can do to balance that effect is create a patch to compensate for the color and texture differations that the interpreter can't handle. Use the patch to place the right colors and textures that the N64 rom files are calling for. This won't help with the speed, but it will definitely smooth out those white boxes that you have been getting. Also, later on when you get to more complicated commercial roms, you are going to have to some how address the issue of memory usage as the psp doesn't have as much built in memory as the N64 system does. You might have to find some tricks to write access some memory on the memory stick on the psp. Anyways, good luck

pkmaximum
March 8th, 2006, 22:36
WOW this seems overwhelming. Psmonkey I do see where you are coming from but personally i don't feel we should critisize until they are prooven fake. As you see he is wishing you good luck. And some reason i have doubts too. Videos we have learned in the past means nothing. But if he does release this emulator imagine how foolish you will look because after all the doubts you had calling it fake. But don't worry PSmonkey i stand behind you 100% and i always trust your jugement. Cause unlike this character you give us more proof that your elmultor is real. Good luck to both because its not in my nature to critisize.

pkmaximum
March 8th, 2006, 22:40
Also PSdonkey I am not doubting you but you can't blame people for believiing your emulator is fake after all we don't hear one word of you till now. Do us a favor and release just a version of this emulator even if it is pathetic because your losing peoples interest by just trying to convince them its real. (Not saying its fake) But if your for real i wish both you and PSmonkey the best wishes in the universe.

pkmaximum
March 8th, 2006, 22:43
Also post another attatchment of this video, i tried downloading it and it stopped at 21% for me.

middlemaniac
March 8th, 2006, 23:18
I actually lost a lot of trust in you PSdonkey. Just realease the emulator as a demo version to the public now. BTW how come now you only have 2 posts, you had 8 before. It is eighther you who got kicked out or someone acting like he is the PSdonkey from yesterday.

middlemaniac
March 8th, 2006, 23:21
And why is your name PSdonkey, it used to be PSdonkey64.

DPyro
March 8th, 2006, 23:23
The originals name is PSdonkey64. This guys name is PSdonkey....

matts1900
March 9th, 2006, 00:18
This is a bit off topic. Once again I feel this donkey guy is moving in on PSMonkey's limelight, whether he wants the fame or not. If your claims are false then please just go, otherwise release something & stop this nonsense. Lets try & stay on topic, this is about PSMonkey's achievements, nothing else.

shadowhawk22
March 9th, 2006, 07:22
Agreed. Another round of cheers for PSmonkey. Hip Hip Hurray. Hip Hip Hurray! Keep us updated! W00t!

,Hawk

Vega
March 9th, 2006, 08:01
Monkey, Thats very.. .. erm ... very Noble! Yea that will do. You are giving yourself a huge goal, but still, if worst comes to worst, even if this emulator does'nt come through, I think you've earned a heapload of respect from coders to newbs. Its effort that counts man, and this is a huge effort. Do you sleep???

anyway, the thoughts of playing classic N64 makes my PsP moist! imagine in a few months playing mario64, Zelda, Goldeneye, Diddy kong, Nwo revenge and turok on a handheld. Jesus Christ!!!
magic!