PDA

View Full Version : psp piracy

OZBRN5
April 26th, 2009, 16:47
Stealing isos is lame and is really hurting the sony platform...i love homebrew because i can use a keyboard with psp-pda...i can emulate abandonware games (by the way if a console is no longer supported it is abandonware) my understanding is that if a console is no longer made and is not available then the games for said console are abandonware thus snes - gameboy - gameboy color - intellivision ect are ok but psone is supported by the psp and ps3 so it is piracy as well as camecube which is supported by wii...basically if it is still sold for a console then you are stealing it...isos are obviously ripping off a lot of good programmers who are trying to feed their families just like us...

want good games for the psp...quit ripping them off as soon as they come out! break down and buy a game once in a while or trade them when you are done...

lets keep the psp alive for the next wave of homebrew...my suggestion is that if the 3000 gets a working homebrew exploit then lets keep an iso folder out of it. leave it for good legal homebrew that is inventive...creative...and opensource.

ps i am not a sony goon - i just love my psp and don't want to see it die.

jxx2005
April 26th, 2009, 16:59
shouldnt this have gone in the discussion forum?

also
the ISO folder is officially so you can play legal backups of your own games
playing games from ISO instead of UMD saves battery life and shortens load times

thktanuki
April 26th, 2009, 20:46
Your point is valid, but several years too late.
Also: I shouldn't have to spend ANOTHER 200+ dollars on the crappy Wii console JUST to play SNES/Genesis games.

I already spent that much on my ORIGINAL Genesis.

I bought my psp for the few good games that were out for it... and then I got CFW for it so I can play the old classics on the go, rather than being held down by the Nintendo Shovelware console.

I don't pirate PSP titles, and the only PS1 titles I have for my PSP, I still have my original PS1 copies within arms reach of my T.V.

Not everyone is out to screw Sony with piracy... some people just like the convenience of portable classic gaming.

Predator
April 26th, 2009, 21:42
Stealing isos...

Seems you a bit confused with copyright laws...

In Canada:
The term for which copyright shall subsist shall, except as otherwise expressly provided by this Act, be the life of the author, the remainder of the calendar year in which the author dies, and a period of fifty years following the end of that calendar year.
Source (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-42/section-6.html)

In the USA:
Copyright in a work created on or after January 1, 1978, subsists from its creation and, except as provided by the following subsections, endures for a term consisting of the life of the author and 70 years after the author’s death.
Source (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/302.html)

Also, SNES games are sold through the Wii Virtual Console, and the DSiShop will be selling the GB games.

OZBRN5
April 26th, 2009, 22:17
not concerning abandonware...read the current information just recently released.

OZBRN5
April 26th, 2009, 22:22
Gamespot wrote:
Some gamers have been arguing for years that abandonware--older games that are no longer supported by their original copyright holders--should be exempted from copy-protection laws. These retro gamers believe that since the software is no longer being sold or supported by the copyright holders, they are breaking no law by copying and distributing the games.

That point of view may be validated now, as last week Librarian of Congress James H. Billington approved six exemptions to the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act in the US.

Billington ruled that for games for machines which are no longer available, the copy-protection controls may be bypassed for "archival purposes." He also added that games with copy-protection that require "dongles" that were damaged and could not be replaced were also allowed to circumvent the copy-protection systems. Dongles are hardware devices that users have to physically connect to their machine to authenticate a game and allow them to play it--they first came out in the '80s and have since fallen out of popular use.

Other amendments include authorisation to break locks on e-books so that blind people can run them through read-aloud software, and allowing cellphone owners to break software locks on their handsets so they can switch carriers.

Nocuddle
April 27th, 2009, 01:42
Nintendo ---> author = still alive & selling.
Abandonware my @ss.

Gamespot = BS.

OZBRN5
April 27th, 2009, 15:23
The legality would be the question if rom sites are for archival purposes...i would argue yes...i do own real cartridges for my roms ( i have a huge collection of snes and nes cartridges which i have systematically collected over the years) but how many people will ever get the chance to play zombies ate my neighbors outside of emulation...it is part of our cultural history and should be preserved like pac-man and pong.

the library of congress is recognizing this after a debate that started in 2005 ( but for a limited time)

if the companies would release the roms for download at a nominal price (more than they make now which is nothing) for iphones-psp's-ect i think most people would love to purchase them if the price was low enough...especially the really defunct games for intellivision hugo, sinclair ect...

that1guywiththeface
April 27th, 2009, 23:29
The only problem is, many of those companies (or legal entities, whatever) that created the games that are now abandonware may have become defunct/bankrupt/broken up and cannot be paid because they no longer exist

OZBRN5
April 28th, 2009, 00:55
True That