PDA

View Full Version : VGA box to TV

QFPants
April 29th, 2009, 13:35
I have a Blaze DC-VGA adaptor that I inherited with my Dreamcast, that I want to use through my TV (Samsung 32" LCD).

The connections on the adaptor are:

VGA-out
S-Video
Component (Sound R, Sound L & Visual)
TV/PC switch
Stereo Phone 1
Stereo Phone 2

I assume I can use a standard component cable to have picture and audio through an AV channel. I want to use the PC setting through my TV to connect via VGA; is it possible to get sound through my TV at the same time (i.e alongside VGA), or do I have to connect to a set of speakers? Also, do the speakers connect through 1 Stereo Phone port, or both? I'm confused (and apparently a bit useless) ;)

beetroot bertie
May 5th, 2009, 16:43
I have my DC hooked up to a 23" Samsung TV via a VGA box. It's not a Blaze one, just a generic 3rd party one I got from Play Asia a few yrs ago.

I get the audio to my telly using a stereo lead from a single stereo socket on the VGA box called "Stereo Audio" on the box (I don't have phone 1 and 2 like you do). This lead is just a single stereo cable with 1 male jack (like those on headphone cables) on each end. The other end goes into a small stereo socket the back of the TV labelled "audio".

I'd imagine you could do the same assuming you have the same connections on your TV.

It might be worth sticking some headphones in the phone 1 and 2 sockets and playing a CD in your DC to check if they're just duplicate stereo sockets or Left/Right speaker splits, in which case you would need a different cable to take the sound from both and combine into the single stereo jack for the back of the TV.

Hope that helps.

quzar
May 5th, 2009, 21:47
I have a Blaze DC-VGA adaptor that I inherited with my Dreamcast, that I want to use through my TV (Samsung 32" LCD).

The connections on the adaptor are:

VGA-out
S-Video
Component (Sound R, Sound L & Visual)
TV/PC switch
Stereo Phone 1
Stereo Phone 2

I assume I can use a standard component cable to have picture and audio through an AV channel. I want to use the PC setting through my TV to connect via VGA; is it possible to get sound through my TV at the same time (i.e alongside VGA), or do I have to connect to a set of speakers? Also, do the speakers connect through 1 Stereo Phone port, or both? I'm confused (and apparently a bit useless) ;)

The point of the multiple stereo phones is to allow you to use multiple sets of headphones or speakers. You should be able to hook up the R/W RCA connector audio ports or either of the stereo phone ports. Test it out, the blaze box might do it differently.