PDA

View Full Version : buying psp for my 7 year old son

ddan
March 12th, 2006, 10:23
Hi

I am buying a psp for my 7 year old son but there are diffrent versions like the 1.5 or the 2.0 and the japaneese versions the one that look good to me is the 1.5 jap version but can you play all the new games on it

if you could give me some help i would be grateful as i know nothing about the psp.

thanks

dan

RunningWild
March 12th, 2006, 11:09
Wow! I must say, you have to have some serious trust in your 7 year old son to invest in such a gift. PSP's arent exactly kid tough, if you know what I mean.

As far as firmware and playing games goes, its all up to what your son wants to do with it. General use? U have no problem. Buy any PSP you like and you are guaranteed to be able to play all commercial games from any region of the world. If a game requires a higher firmware to play it, its only a matter of updating the firmware using the same game UMD that asks for the newer version..

However, if you want to use the PSP for yourself, I would recommend buying one that is at firmware 2.0 and no higher. There are a TON of amazing homebrew programs ranging from emulators (that let u play your favourite older home consoles on the unit such as Super NES, Megadrive, etc..), to programs that let you stream Internet Radio, use the PSP as a remote.. etc...

The choice is yours.

IndianCheese
March 12th, 2006, 16:48
If you wish to run the homebrew (which also consists of applications like PSP-PDA that has text document writing/editing/saving capabilities), do not buy a PSP with a letter over F. Where to find this letter? On the sticker on the box, right underneath "120V".

SSaxdude
March 12th, 2006, 17:40
Your son might want a DS more than a PSP. Although homebrew on the PSP is great and all (plus many NES and SNES games are non violent,) your son might not like simple graphics of 8 and 16 bit. The commercial PSP games have horrible load times, so that might upset your son. Plus many PSP games tend to be on the more violent or more complicated side. Unless your son loves gunning down cops in GTA, he might be sort of bored with it. As for the PSP being easily broken, this is true. The UMD drive could break, the screen gets scratched, the UMD discs can also scratch; the list goes on. The PSP is more of a toy for grown ups and hardcore gamers.

Forever~Zero
March 13th, 2006, 08:12
Woah how i wish i were you rson. But i agree with RunningWild and SSaxdude. A PSP is not really meant for a kid. He might be better of with a DS.

Elsid
March 13th, 2006, 10:16
PSP is for cool for everyone, but it won't really be interesting for a 7 year old, lol think of the things a 7 year old will get up 2 with a PSP and no i am not talking about p*rn, i feel for people who do that.

psplvr92
March 21st, 2006, 01:31
shut up elsid

psplvr92
March 21st, 2006, 01:32
a psp can be in the hands of any one that wont destroy it my bro hase one and hes 9

psplvr92
March 21st, 2006, 01:32
has

Hawkeyefile
March 21st, 2006, 06:07
if you dont mind spending 150 bucks for a 1.50 psp you can make it play most newer games, but then again its all upto your son, ask him if likes to play nintendo games (like mario), or sega games (like sonic). if he says yes to either of these. get a 1.50 psp download pspset and change the version to 2.0. although im guessing your not on the technical side. if your not tech savvy then get a 2.60 psp.