PDA

View Full Version : if

calebg
March 14th, 2006, 03:51
if you downgrade your psp from 2.0-1.5 and upgrade it back to 2.0-2.6 will sony be able to recognize this and void the warranty :confused:

b8a
March 14th, 2006, 05:17
I don't know if anyone knows for sure, but I did read in a forum posting over on ps2dev (concerning the flash memory) that it looks like there <u><b>MAY</b></u> be a portion of the memory devoted to keeping track of how many times you've updated and to what firmware versions, along with what eboots you've run.

But from what I've read on a variety of boards (this is me rumour-mongoring), there have been people who have bricked their PSP's directly from homebrew usage and Sony still honored the warranty and sent them fixed ones (albeit, with the newest firmware installed). If these reports are true, then it may mean that even if there is a way for your PSP to keep track of what you've run how often, Sony may not check it, and even if they do check it, there may be nothing (legally) they can do about it. I mean, all a customer has to do is claim that they "thought" they were running an official Sony update when they were "actually" running a downgrader. If it comes right down to it and you fein mass stupidity, I don't think Sony would press the issue too hard. From the sounds of it in the past they've been more interested in settling any possible PSP defects then in fighting the cause of them.