PDA

View Full Version : Basic DS Mod/Cart Questions

gurm
March 16th, 2006, 13:16
Ok, I'm about to purchase a DS. Here are my quick questions. I know this has been covered 100 times, but I just want a final quick answer before I go buy stuff. :)

Ok here goes:

I want to run homebrew, movie player (such as moonshell), etc. plus also ROMs. I know we frown on ROMs officially, so I'm not going to ask about them specifically, but given that I am going to want to run them, that may impact the answers.

1. Is this correct - in order to run homebrew/ROMs, I need a device such as SuperCard or M3? Is there some preferred device? From the various forums I'm seeing lots of SC fans and lots of M3 fans, pretty much even at various times with the thought that the M3 does more in firmware but the SC is more flexible. :)

2. In order to make either device work, I need a SuperPass or something like that at least long enough to flash the firmware, right? Is there some preferred device of this type? SuperPasses can be had for like $25, I think, although since you only need it once - anyone wanna lend me theirs? (LOL)

3. Is there anything ELSE I need to get started, other than software/firmware downloads? I'm considering the combination of a SuperPass and SuperCard CF (since the CF seems to work a bit better/faster than the SD in spite of the physically larger media) which ought to run me about $75 total plus media. Does that sound reasonable/good?

Other than that, just looking for quick advice of the warning/proviso variety. Thanks!

thaive
March 17th, 2006, 11:38
1 - yes, both are equally good but m3 is more expensive
2- superpass, passme - all the same really - if this is a new edition nds (ie has new firmware) you will need a superpass2 passme2

that sounds about right - be careful when flashing, before attempting fully charge nds, and when flashing tape the battery down and plud into ac adapter. you do not want to lose power while flashing

check out scdev.org for alot of information

gurm
March 17th, 2006, 12:18
1 - yes, both are equally good but m3 is more expensive
2- superpass, passme - all the same really - if this is a new edition nds (ie has new firmware) you will need a superpass2 passme2

that sounds about right - be careful when flashing, before attempting fully charge nds, and when flashing tape the battery down and plud into ac adapter. you do not want to lose power while flashing

check out scdev.org for alot of information

Thanks. I've visited scdev, I'm tempted to go with the SuperCard because development seems more promising. i.e. I'm willing to do the extra step of running Moonshell for the time being until they make a firmware that auto-runs it, versus having to buy a NEW M3 when they make some improvement. ;)

thaive
March 20th, 2006, 03:38
there is a large sc community and romman is frequently releasing updates for firmware and patching so i personally don't have any problems lol

Zorbick
April 14th, 2006, 07:06
I've just gotten a Superpass and Supercard CF adapter.
I've been hunting all over the internet for a straight process on how to simply load a .nds onto my CF and play, and haven't been able to find one that actually works. I've been to scdev and updated my supercard firmware and used the game converter, but the gba mode doesn't see the converted game file types.
I don't have a new red DS or whatever, and my serial numer starts with NU707.

Every time I load a homebrew game or app onto the CF, and put the superpass in the top and the CF and Supercard in the bottom, the screens go white. Without the superpass in, I can boot, but I can't see anything listed when starting the GBA mode.

Can someone please PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong?

thaive
April 14th, 2006, 14:33
that white screen idicates one of two things i believe - either you need to update the firmware on your supercard or you need a superpass two, i think its the superpass 2 that you need personally, there is a trick for going into pictochat and taking out a nds game cartridge - it will show you a color ... scdev will have a post somewhere about it.

but yeah, it appears to me you need a superpass2

Zorbick
April 14th, 2006, 17:07
I've got the supercard firmware up-to-date, so that shouldn't be the issue. So I need a Superpass2...Joy. Wasted money on the Superpass.

Anyone else have any ideas before I spend more money?

thaive
April 15th, 2006, 04:59
1. Insert a DS game in NDS slot.
2. Turn up your DS and open Pictochat, room A.
3. Now remove the NDS cartridge from the NDS slot (don't worry, you can't do much harm).
4. Both screens should turn in the same color.

If the screens don't turn YELLOW or MAGENTA (and you're not using iQue DS), it is a safe bet that it's PassME1 and WiFiME compatible.

The color 'chart':

- NDS-V1: DS will freeze, when you remove the cart.
- NDS-V2: Grayish Blue
- NDS-V3: Dark Green (Note! A silver DS bought in MK S bundle is most probably NOT installed with FW4!)
- NDS-V4: Yellow
- NDS-V5: Magenta
- iQue FW: Dark Green
- FM-V1-6: Dark Green

thaive
April 15th, 2006, 05:00
if need be just sell your superpass on ebay - you'll probably get a similiar price to waht you paid for it

Zorbick
April 15th, 2006, 05:42
All righty, gotta get a superpass 2. Thanks for the help.