PDA

View Full Version : D-pad

Vega
March 30th, 2006, 00:56
I've been searching ebay and cant find a decent d-pad cover to enhance diagonal controls. I dont want to open up my psp to manually mod it, because I'd end up ****ing it up. The only thing I found was a crappy cover which turns the pad into a joystick. not much use to me.
Has there been a dpad cover released which improves control and is not a joystick?

RunningWild
April 5th, 2006, 13:37
I too have been questing for a way to alter the pathetic D-Pad into something that works. The release of Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max hastened my efforts. The only thing close to what you want is the Official Capcom Support Pad which was made by Capcom and released alongside Alpha 3 to customers who ordered it from either Capcom Japan or Capcom USA. The cover looks like your traditional Genesis / Megadrive 8 directional D-Pad and sticks ontop of your original PSP one via permanent glue.

Results have been average to mediocre. The problem with the PSP's D-Pad is the fact that it's recessed too deep into the unit. Hence why it's so ridiculously hard to pull off diagonal moves.

There is a permanent answer that will correct this. An Italian company has created a plastic underlay that simply fits underneath the D-Pad. What this does is lift the D-Pad as high as physically possible. Makes it much tighter and responsive too. Hello diagonals.

Yes you do have to open up your PSP, but it is terribly simple to do. Ever changed the faceplate of your mobile phone before? This is no different. It involves removing 5 screws from the back of the PSP, taking the face plate off, then putting the engineered plastic under the D-Pad. Replace plate and screws and presto.. you're done. Welcome to Diagonalville.

Im about as finnicky and fussy over my PSP as you can get. I stand by this product and recommend it wholeheartedly. I installed it in my own PSP aswell as a friend's and it works like a dream.

Here is a link to the seller's auctions (or just enter "dpad" in the search box on eBay.Com): http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZedstarink

Set your PSP free :)

- Steve