PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ DC & Homebrew Stuff

Prodigy_of_Pinhead
March 31st, 2006, 02:58
My Dreamcast has the following stuff on the label on the bottom:

Right over the Made in China is the letters WK
A 2 encased in a circle next to the [NTSC][U] thing.
At the top, the little code next to the (logo)Dreamcast thing is "HKT-3020"
Manufactured December 2000

Can I run CDRs? If not any brand, then which ones? If not any, then how do I? Plz help me.

Cid Highwind
March 31st, 2006, 12:15
Well you could just try burning a selfbooting image, a 50 cent cdr isn't a lost if it gets wasted. A 50 cent rapper either but that's a whole different story :P

fackue
March 31st, 2006, 12:49
Sorry to hear you have a Dec 2000 model. You'll need a older model to play CD-Rs.

http://consolevision.com/cms.php?option=content&pcontent=1&task=view&id=24&Itemid=52

Prodigy_of_Pinhead
March 31st, 2006, 18:18
Well you could just try burning a selfbooting image, a 50 cent cdr isn't a lost if it gets wasted. A 50 cent rapper either but that's a whole different story :P

I've tried it w/ Memorex CD-R's. Does brand really matter? Is there another trick to this?

Darksaviour69
March 31st, 2006, 18:29
yeah some cheap brands don't work, but whats really the problem (as fackue said) is that is one of the few dreamcasts that does not support Cdrs.... so there is nothing you can do, except get a new dc.

72da9
April 1st, 2006, 00:08
I have that model and it will not work no matter what you do, short of a hardware hack of replacing the bios that locks out cdr's.

http://www.dcemulation.com/article-supported.htm

I've posted this model on their forum and had a discussion, but the powers that be still refuse to update the above page to clarify model numbers for new commers to the scene. OH WELL!

Try to get a 1999 model or older then it will work.

Prodigy_of_Pinhead
April 1st, 2006, 02:49
I have that model and it will not work no matter what you do, short of a hardware hack of replacing the bios that locks out cdr's.

http://www.dcemulation.com/article-supported.htm

I've posted this model on their forum and had a discussion, but the powers that be still refuse to update the above page to clarify model numbers for new commers to the scene. OH WELL!

Try to get a 1999 model or older then it will work.

Not to seem snotty, rude, or an asshole, but I can't just rush out and buy an older model DC. Finding the one that I do have was luck. I bought it a couple years ago preowned on ebgames.com back when they accepted money orders, and it only cost $20. I may have money, but buying another DC is something I'll do when the one I do have no longer works. Now, is there a way to mod it without too much potential for n00b mistakes.

fackue
April 1st, 2006, 03:46
Now, is there a way to mod it without too much potential for n00b mistakes.
No.

Darksaviour69
April 1st, 2006, 03:57
there is nothing you can do to get it to read CDr, sega removed mil-cd support for the last few dc's the made.

Cooe14
April 28th, 2006, 00:52
I've got a November 2000 one that loads all my CD-R's fine. Did they change it for the December ones?

Darksaviour69
April 28th, 2006, 01:16
I've got a November 2000 one that loads all my CD-R's fine. Did they change it for the December ones?

yeah the changed the bios, so that it would not run code of a CDr (mill-cd), but not sure every Dec 2000 model, but most.

semicolo
April 30th, 2006, 02:32
I think that data-data selfboot discs work when audio-data doesn't

Darksaviour69
April 30th, 2006, 02:39
yeah thats true to a point too, but they did removed mill-cd support at some stage of the dec 2000 manufacturing