PDA

View Full Version : Mac Users HELP! Prometeus PSX to PSP Audio Issue.

djhotwheel
June 11th, 2009, 05:52
Finally since the good old days of backing up PSX titles on my Mac G3 in classic OS. The OSX OS has lost contact in reading XA Format CD's. I had no way since that time in 2002 when I moved to PowerPC - G5. Macs just could not do it.

Now, the Prometeus converter tool for the MAC will rip a PSX title from the CD and make it into a .toc and.bin files. The software continues and creates the eBoot file for the PSP. I was so happy running the Popsloader and BAM no CDDA audio? The program did not rip the audio into the .bin. Any clue from anyone how to correct this?

JLF65
June 11th, 2009, 23:02
The windows version of Popstation is geared towards files made by CloneCD. It doesn't understand the format of toc/cue files made by other programs, so you lose the CDDA. I made a python script for linux to make my own EBOOTs - theoretically, it should also work with OSX, but it didn't due to the crazy way OSX forces you to access the CD. I still need to work on that more.

At the moment, the only way I know you could get this working on a Mac is to run Windows in an emu and run the Windows apps... or install linux on the Mac and use my python script.

djhotwheel
June 12th, 2009, 00:51
I appreciate the help. For me that is too far fetched to perform. I don't know how to use terminal commands. Last programming was making games on my Apple IIc. I have Guest PC for the PowerPC macs to run XP. The issue is it crashes the system on OSX 10.5.x. I also would love to see a MAC CD program that WILL rip Sega CD, Saturn, PSX XA Format discs. I have an old 233PC I can use but, I would love an old copy of CDRwin that worked well during the day.

JLF65
June 12th, 2009, 02:50
Here's my python script:
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showpost.php?p=363899&postcount=380

The post shows how to use it. Maybe it'll come in handy, and maybe it won't. The next time I revise it, I do plan to add a graphic frontend to make it easier for folks. I'll probably work on the Mac side a bit more as well. However, that still doesn't help you right now. Sorry.

In the meantime, you might check out Prometeus found here:
http://www.wattks.com/macosx/sony/sony.html

You'll find that and many other OSX PSP tools here:
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=26001

If you do get something working, you might want to post back here to let others know what worked for you. :)

b8a
June 12th, 2009, 13:14
Thanks for posting the link to your script, JLF65. I wrote a bash script a couple of years ago for ripping TGCDs on a OS X PowerPC, so I can probably get this to work. Do you know how to modify this script so that it can support the creation of multi-disk EBOOTS? If we can get this script to support CDDA, then that'll be the only significant PSX EBOOT option that (as far as I know) we can't natively perform in OS X.

JLF65
June 12th, 2009, 23:53
It would require some work to make it do multiple discs. I have looked into it a little. The odd thing I noticed is that multiple disc support doesn't include CDDA. I guess there aren't any multi-disc games that use CDDA.

I suppose if you want to help, we can update this thing. :)

b8a
June 15th, 2009, 13:20
Alright, I finally got some free time and tried my hand at modding this script to run on OS X. I've got it to read the data and audio tracks, and then to construct a toc, but then I end up with the following

Writing ISO...
Writing actual indexes...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "popsx.py", line 633, in ?
out_file.write(struct.pack('<' + repr(isosize / 0x9300 * 8) + 'I', *indicies))
struct.error: insufficient arguments to pack
And the script bails there. Did you actually test this on OS X? If so, do you mind if I ask what errors you got?

Also, I think you're right... I went through all of my multi-disk PS1 games (except for the Final Fantasies) and couldn't find any with CD audio... Still, it would be great to be able to make multi-disk eboots in OS X.

Edit: In case it matters, I'm using:
python 2.4.1
cdrdao 1.2.1
readcd 2.01
Any idea what the problem is?

JLF65
June 15th, 2009, 22:01
Alright, I finally got some free time and tried my hand at modding this script to run on OS X. I've got it to read the data and audio tracks, and then to construct a toc, but then I end up with the following

And the script bails there. Did you actually test this on OS X? If so, do you mind if I ask what errors you got?

Also, I think you're right... I went through all of my multi-disk PS1 games (except for the Final Fantasies) and couldn't find any with CD audio... Still, it would be great to be able to make multi-disk eboots in OS X.

Edit: In case it matters, I'm using:
python 2.4.1
cdrdao 1.2.1
readcd 2.01
Any idea what the problem is?

The script writes out an empty set of block indexes when writing the ISO out (a block being 16 sectors). Those indexes are overwritten afterward (once we know what they are).

While writing the ISO into the EBOOT, the indexes are accumulated in the loop starting like this:

print 'Writing ISO...'
for i in range(isosize / 0x9300):
# do a block of 16 sectors at a time

The error you're getting is when it tries to write those indexes out to the file - for some reason, the number of indexes pushed isn't the same as the value it thinks it should be - isosize / 0x9300 * 8. Maybe isosize is odd because you didn't dump the disc in the proper mode. 0x9300 = 37632 = 16 * 2352. Remember, we're working with RAW CD data.