PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet cards/motherboards/MAC addresses...

urherenow
March 31st, 2006, 18:31
I have succeded in repairing my bricked PSP by replacing the motherboard! Since I had already purchaced a new one a long time ago, I'm keeping one at 1.5 and keeping the other one up to date. Anyway I had a hell of a time connecting to my router and finally figured out why...(although I have no idea why this is or how's it's possible!!!)

Anyway, I always have my router's MAC filter turned on so I ended up turning it off and checking the log when connecting my PSP Somehow... My PSP SHOWS it's mac address as (the original) 00:01:4A:4D:F2:BF (which makes sense because I put in a new motherboard, I DIDN'T CHANGE THE ETHERNET CARD!) but what it Actually is now, with the new motherboard (as stated by my router and it works now), is 00:01:4a:5a:3b:46

ok... I'm Network+ certified and this baffled me for a good while (still does but I have it working now). Can someone please tell me how this is possible?

Maybe I will confuse people with that...
In short, after changing the motherboard my psp says it's MAC address is one thing when it is actually a different one (or vice versa, sinse the original MAC address is what it still says it is )

benny blanco
March 31st, 2006, 19:54
The psp's own source of memory will display your old mac address, Unless you have a way of programing in the new mac address, you will not have the luxury of seeing the new mac address on the psp screen, but it shouldn't matter, it works so there shouold be no need to rewrite the flash memory.

urherenow
April 1st, 2006, 07:02
But... the ethernet card was not changed. How the hell does it have a different MAC address?