PDA

View Full Version : Ian micheal calls it for the day on the DC scene

DCEmu_Newsposter
January 1st, 1970, 01:00
Ian Micheal of IMRtechnology (http://imrtechnology.ngemu.com/), has decided to leave the DCscene. On the main page here, Ian has posted a round up of his 2 main projects Radquake, NeoCD/SDL and also a personal note from him, saying goodbye.

[Modified 10/13/04 06:47:23 by DCEmu_Newsposter]

M@jk
October 13th, 2004, 06:47
Oh my! :/ its very sad news...

quzar
October 13th, 2004, 06:58
you do of course realize he has done this before right?

Anyways, I feel really bad that the (at least immediate cause, the straw that broke the camels back if you will) was my releasing my first port :-/

He taught me everything he knew about DCdevelopment and brought me into the world of public devving. Without him I would never have stayed in the scene, and if not for me, he would have left last december.

Although he was always attacked for being a poor coder, he was completely self taught, and although he may have known less in general about coding, because of his will and determination, he is one of the most experienced dreamcast coders in the scene.

His works will be missed, and I'll miss him personally.

Eric
October 13th, 2004, 07:23
Well again yes this has happened before. I dont know if this will last but hopefully it doesnt last. One thing i would like to say if Ian is going to come back and atleast look at the forums is you have to stop being grumpy dude be happy best way just think of happy things and how to do this damn man your a coder you can always develop something better if someone is redoing your project.

There is also nothing to be angry about when someone want to redo the project cause they are just seeing what else can complete this project. In the end of that project being done you can congradulate or add somethings that have can make that project even better. I do have to say your projects were rather well done. I would have wanted to see a lot of port projects.

The arcade ports were rather fun but redoing them would have meant nothing to some cause they already have it but you did some interesting things to those SGA's to make people want them. Your homebrews i thought interesting cause if in mind if you couldnt create a game fullspeed you would find games that you could create that would like quizmania and that was sweet and i forget the other one but i do have it, personally not my fav type of games cause i used to read books like that and got bored but interesting to the old gamers so it still had its touch.

I would loved to see that re-make you were going to make. Anyways dude its going to suck that you are gone but i think we might see you again. The time you return dont think about what people have to say i know its hard we all have anger problems but sometimes when you see a post and i do this sometimes just exit that topic and shrug it off. This is for the coders aswell whether you dont care about health problems and or didnt believe Ian had those health problems you should still think about what happens to people with depression and heart problems.

To anyone who has heart problems and depression it can hurt us alot but if we chear up it helps a bit this is important and said many of times think of things that made you happy think of the past if that helps thinking of the past helps me and what of the past is helping its obviously you guys with your retro projects. Anyways good luck and hope to atleast see you on MSN again one day.

Eric

toastman
October 13th, 2004, 08:33
More self-gratifying bullshit.
So let's say goodbye (again) to the greatest ego masturbator of all time.

Cereal
October 13th, 2004, 08:35
I don't know why so many coders hated him. Who cares about his skills when he brought so many good things to the scene? He was a good person too. Shame we lost one of the best.

Darksaviour69
October 13th, 2004, 08:35
i don't want this topic to turn into a flame war guys!!

souLLy
October 13th, 2004, 08:39
where did ian announce this?

Darksaviour69
October 13th, 2004, 08:41
its on the main page of his website, he also been saying hes quiting in a few post in the last few days

souLLy
October 13th, 2004, 08:45
oops didn't notice it at the bottom cheers darc

Eric
October 13th, 2004, 09:22
lol toastman your the fool man what you did 2 years ago and you remember you so called the best coder of dcemulation and sorry if this takes offense to the scene but toastman you remember and know who i am

Eric
October 13th, 2004, 09:26
lol toastman your the fool man you can make fun of him all you want but as i said to you in the past you can even make fun of someone whose coding experience is better then yours for example what did you make. Oh yeah the unforgettable Tetris game and still that seems to be the only one you have made. As Ian hey he may have got people who helped him but he has still been coding for many years and i dont have have to say what he has made or even count cause he has more then you have made. What do you have to do in the scene that makes you that big tough you are. I aint tough that situation between you I and Ian is the past i am different now but you have to stop think and grow up man.

(edit) sorry about the post before this i did a sudden stop and thought it needed a change sorry

Eric

souLLy
October 13th, 2004, 09:56
no flaming eric, you should know better by now.

toastman
October 13th, 2004, 10:44
lol toastman your the fool man you can make fun of him all you want but as i said to you in the past you can even make fun of someone whose coding experience is better then yours for example what did you make. Oh yeah the unforgettable Tetris game and still that seems to be the only one you have made. As Ian hey he may have got people who helped him but he has still been coding for many years and i dont have have to say what he has made or even count cause he has more then you have made. What do you have to do in the scene that makes you that big tough you are. I aint tough that situation between you I and Ian is the past i am different now but you have to stop think and grow up man.

(edit) sorry about the post before this i did a sudden stop and thought it needed a change sorry

Eric

You didn't mention either Sh'ump or WAM. And since you obviously aren't reading my webpage (which is done up by me using PHP, MySQL, CSS, and HTML) you would know that I am also working on an online card game that is coming along nicely.
Then I plan on entering the DCGP2004 if time permits.
And secondly, I have never said that I was 'the best' nor has anyone else. Mainly because it is not true. I am far from the most talented programmer the DC scene has.
As for his experience being better than mine. From what I've read and seen (of stuff that he's actually posted/asked/etc.) his level of knowledge is woefully lacking in several basic areas.
And I find it ironic that this quitting business is over the fact that Quzar did what Reaper's been doing to other people all along.
Finally, I apologize for actually having a full-time job and not being able to program 24/7.

DCDayDreamer
October 13th, 2004, 10:49
The biggest problem Ian Micheal had within the DC scene was himself, the reasons behind some of his posts and actions are still beyond me. Health reasons keep coming into the equation - Stroke/Depression/Heart problems, surely the best form of convalescence with any of those related illnesses is not being cooped up in front of a PC monitor?. People have referred to ego's as the cause of many of the arguments Ian had, this may be true, but is an ego to compete with coding homebrew on a dead console really worth all the aggravation that comes with it?.

I think the main reason is the fact he actually got too embroiled in the whole thing, resulting in spending far too much time on a hobby and not enough in touch with the real world. With any scene, you've got to take it as it is, don't take it too seriously, but most importantly - enjoy yourself!. Hopefully Ian will now begin to chill out and enjoy himself, he should find 'there is life beyond the Dreamcast scene'.

At the end of the day, what people think of Ian Micheal as a coder or person is irrelevant, he contributed to the scene and has now decided to leave, it happens day-in/day-out through all walks of life - it's as simple as that.

'So long, and thanks for all the fish!'

Saoshyant
October 13th, 2004, 10:55
Finally some good words... (concerning the post above)

Ian, see you around some time, I didn't know you personally, but your determination was amazing. Good bye and good luck with all you will be doing.

Cereal
October 13th, 2004, 10:59
I'm just glad he train quzar to be his succesor. While Quzar isnt as skilled yet I do think he as more than enough talent to finsh off NeoCD.

wraggster
October 13th, 2004, 11:08
its sad to see anyone coder leave the Dreamcast scene but over the years we have seen lots of good talent move on. Ian obviously has hit that time.

I personally hate to see people leave but if thats it then so be it.

He did release a lot of stuff for the Dreamcast, but like always in our scene, we will see new coders.

and you may see newcomers from an unexpected place

Maximo2703
October 13th, 2004, 12:26
eric and toast i think its completely irrelativent to bicker about who's a better coder who contributed more. who cares! we should all be thankful for even the smallest thing simplest thing being contributed to the scene.....now whether or not Ian's skills was up to par in the eyes of others....he at least tried to do his best with what he knew ,and contributed alot of great stuff. i know for one ill miss him in the scene hopefully ill run into him online at some point.

BudFern
October 13th, 2004, 12:28
Ack! Ian, you'll be missed. I can understand you needing a big break. :) Family and work fill ones life up enough! Cheers.

ron
October 13th, 2004, 12:29
It's very sad :'( and what I wish is all the best for Ian. It's a pitty one of the best DC Coders leaving the DC Scene. Anyway better times will come for Ian and for all. Good Luck in all your new adventures, Ian.

Cereal
October 13th, 2004, 12:35
I noticed Ian got no respect from the coders but Ian was adored by tons of people who dont even visit these sites. Just general emulation fans. People dont remember you for being a super leet coder they remember you for how many awsome things you make they that like and Ian domanited the scene with the most quanity and quality releases.

MetaFox
October 13th, 2004, 13:06
How someone who hacks sites, threatens to post personal information, asks for sourcecode only to deny that he used said code, and frames other people for his mistakes can get respect is beyond me. Theives and the dishonest deserve no respect, period.

ace
October 13th, 2004, 14:30
meh.

Maximo2703
October 13th, 2004, 14:36
you guys just quitin bashing the guy after he leaves the scene thats pathetic and childish...get the hell over it....god whatever the case maybe i respected him let alone any contribution that was made to scene by anyone. like i said prior we should be thankful for anything we get no matter the means of getting it here. now enough of bad mouthing someone thats not even in the scene anymore to defend himself. thats pathetic and childish. i thought there was 20+ yr olds in here not 10yr olds.

MetaFox
October 13th, 2004, 14:38
He pulls this "I quit the scene, so love me and give me huge thank-yous, bow down before me and kiss my feet as I am God to you, and if you love me enough I'll do you a favor and come back" crap once a year.

I'm sick of it. Get over yourself Reaper, you backstabbing thief.

Those of us who aren't naive enough to think that you did anything worthwhile aren't going to put up with it anymore.

Cereal
October 13th, 2004, 14:39
How someone who hacks sites, threatens to post personal information, asks for sourcecode only to deny that he used said code, and frames other people for his mistakes can get respect is beyond me. *Theives and the dishonest deserve no respect, period.
He's brought us more usefull things than any other coder of the scene has. How cant you understand that people dont care how he did it we just care that we got it.

MetaFox
October 13th, 2004, 14:41
He's brought us more usefull things than any other coder of the scene has. How cant you understand that people dont care how he did it we just care that we got it.He's also brought more stress, hard feelings, and caused more good coders to quit than anyone else in "the scene".

That far outweighs any of the source compilations that he has released.

We are a tightly knit community without him. Full of goodwill and a true willingness to work with each other. He tears us apart. With him inside of our gates, we're a mere "scene". A rotting, decaying, cesspool. Full of hate and disgust.

The rest of us truly are a "community", neigh, a family. Having him leave is the best thing that's happened to us since November 1998, when Sega first released the Dreamcast onto the world.

You'll be seeing alot of good wonderful stuff being released now that the family is together once again. :)

Cereal
October 13th, 2004, 14:47
Who are these so called good coders and what have they brought us? People are greedy its all about whats release not good intentions and friendlyness.

MetaFox
October 13th, 2004, 14:52
The Dreamcast coding community is all about good intentions and friendliness. Reaper may have only been interested in the quantity of the releases, and self glorification, but the Dreamcast coding community is interested in learning from each other, helping each other, bringing a true quality to releases, and bringing the Dreamcast back into the forefront in the general public's eye.

There's alot of good stuff coming. We stand one united - to fight together to bring the Dreamcast community back to what it should be. It truly is a bright future that lies ahead. 8)

wraggster
October 13th, 2004, 14:56
I would like to remind people that this is a friendly community and ill be slapping those who dont love each others from now on.

wraggster
October 13th, 2004, 14:57
I think everything that needs saying has been said and i dont want a flame war on the forums so topic closed

Christuserloeser
October 16th, 2004, 01:31
Excuse me: Unlocked to say "Bye bye, Ian!" :D

Ian, I miss your enthusiasm but not your agressions and your disrespectful behaviour towards others :P

Turning things/facts/opinions etc the other way around so they seem to be like you wanted them to be, not as they originally were ment to be; that was a thing you truly were master in.

I'd say "Welcome back!" at any time, but please change your behaviour and have a little bit of respect for other people or else please stay away. That way it'll be the best for both sides, don't you think?

"Attack the opinion, not the person" ;D

Chris