PDA

View Full Version : SNES emu on Saturn is reality!

wraggster
April 3rd, 2006, 01:18
News from the Rockin-B (http://www.rockin-b.de/news-latest.html) of his Snes Emu for the Sega Saturn News:

If you would have asked me if there will ever be an SNES emu on Saturn, I'd said never, without a doubt. But then there came z-roc requesting a SNES emu on Saturn in return for a nice donation. Okay, I was up for it and the more progress I had, the more excited I got and I thought: this guy really made a good thing, without him this would have never been.

Okay, that's certainly true, but what's true, too, is that his offer was not a serious one. I stopped my work immediately and after being tricked that way, I don't have plans to bring this project further.

features:

requires 4MB RAM cart
max. ROM size: something between 2-3 MByte
CD browser
frameskip setting
unfinshed = gfx glitches
compatibility: unknown
speed: faster than I expected, not yet optimized in any way

Screenshots Via Comments

modcase
April 3rd, 2006, 03:02
really... sounds like there is still not going to be one :(

RockinB
April 3rd, 2006, 12:38
really... sounds like there is still not going to be one :(
There has been some progress. A couple of bugs have been fixed. Better compatibility and GFX is fine, now. It's a bit faster, too.

vbt
April 16th, 2006, 17:35
Any pictures of games ?

RockinB
April 16th, 2006, 18:39
Any pictures of games ?
Not yet, these pictures are quite old, they've been taken at the very first moment when the emu showed some stuff. Games were too big for hardcoding them. Currently I'm very busy speeding up the emu and already had some success (+60 percent), I'll post some game screenshots soon.

About compatibility: it should ideally be the same as snes9x. Actually, there are even a few games which run on Saturn, but not on the latest snes9x version for Windows (though this might be true the other way around, too). The asm core is not completely ported to Saturn, so it hasn't got as good compatibility as the C core. Furthermore I can switch between paletted and 16 bit screen mode, the first one is faster, but does of course not support palette changes during frames.

Transparencies are not activated at all, since they require too much additional RAM (I coudl activate, but it doesn't make sense yet).