PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to knock-out PSP?

wraggster
April 4th, 2006, 16:31
Source PSPFanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/04/03/microsoft-to-deliver-knock-out-punch-to-sony-psp/)

Everytime you turn around it seems that some new device is claiming the portable throne and declaring itself a PSP killer.

Apparently, Microsoft's recently unveiled Ultra-Mobile Personal Computer is the next in a long list of contenders. An article over at Ultranauts.com makes the bold (but entirely unoriginal) claim that the UMPC will be the latest device to put a nail in Sony's old PSP.

I don't think the fanboy's will agree, but some interesting comparisons are made between the two devices in terms of media, internet and gaming capabilities:

"As an all-in-one, the PSP really does do a fine job. But, as is the whole point of this article, the PSP will get trumped by the UMPC, a vastly superior all-in-one “lifestlye” device. Now, if Sony had chosen to focus on games in the same way Nintendo has with its new portables, there would be no contest: the PSP would be a superior gaming machine."

Ouch. That sorta feels like all of the schoolyard bullies are ganging up on you at once. Frankly, we're not too scared. Bring it on.

Payk
April 4th, 2006, 17:40
Watch this link (http://umpc.com/product.aspx)
Ok sony has a big problem, i agree. But the problem is not microsoft only...
This UMPC device will be produced by "many" producer. So its not a microsoft device... Its an allrounder and not a handheld. So PSP will lose that costumers who wants an allrounder. But it wont lose that costumers who wants a PS-Protable... And i think allmost 80% of pspowners have a PS too. So sony will lose much costumers but the fans will stay i think...

PSP Halo2
April 4th, 2006, 17:46
i wanna see UMPC's N64 SNES emulator. Oh wheres that? huh? You dont have 1? EXACTLY!

Jay_PSP
April 4th, 2006, 18:33
i wanna see UMPC's N64 SNES emulator. Oh wheres that? huh? You dont have 1? EXACTLY!

It runs XP you will have better emus than exist on the PSP from day 1?

And a decent sized screen easy full web access, etc. Only thing lacking is the decent gaming controls like on the PSP, but Im sure that will come.

Nothing wrong with having both, PSP's pocket size is its advantage at times.

Boopop
April 4th, 2006, 18:39
As Jay_PSP said, this UMPC would easily trounce the psp at emulation. Anyway, knowing microsoft, this thing would be upwards of £300, and is not as portable as a PSP. I take my PSP with me practically everywhere in my pocket. I couldn't with this. Granted this is a pretty cool gadget MS have got, but it can't contend with the PSP in some aspects, for example under 18s. If i had to buy a 10 year old a PSP or one of these UMPC's it'd deffo be the PSP. A PC is a lot easier to mess up.

vettacossx
April 4th, 2006, 19:04
if Sony had chosen to focus on games in the same way Nintendo has with its new portables, there would be no contest: the PSP would be a superior gaming machine."

I LOVE IT WRAGGSTER YOU,VE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!
first of all sony has made there media mistake and learned from it i hope!!
and with the drop of umd movies its only natural that sony trys to make up for sales by doing none other than JUST THAT MAKING MORE GAMES and what better insentive than a idle threat for x-box who wont realease x-box hand held for 5 years hello people want halo now dumbass not 8 years later!!! i like the psp best for handheld consoles but nintendo has there "SHIT TOGETHER SO TO SPEAK" whereas sony and microsoft are so busy worrying about one another that they are hard too even approximate the direction they will head ...but as for umd mvies..we know this has went down the toobs $$ wise ...i hope that MICROSOFT WILL KEEP IN MIND with the sony psp we dont have to PAY to have movies of any kind any size!! so if your thing is media and your a greedy basterd like microsoft who charges every and any service u can and makes a more security safe system not only will FREE movies be out of the question but....the real issue is will it have a secure firmware more so than even sony trueley un-crackabl if its another peice of gr8 hardware limited only by its creator ...then ive had enough of that shit with sony to be honest...i should be able too launch anything the "HARDWARE I PAYED FOR, CAN!!"

felonyr301
April 4th, 2006, 19:21
if this has a decent specs and it runs xp then emulation might be better than psp starting on day 1 but if its crap or it comes with a specialized version of vista then forget it will be worst than psp running firmware 2.6 in emulation because everything is being copy protected like crazy man..

Joe88
April 4th, 2006, 21:01
specs to run XP> 300mhz , 64MB RAM , 800MB HD space.
its bearly nothing.
All it is , is a oversized PDA.

MaxSMoke
April 4th, 2006, 21:30
Sony can continue to make PSP's, Microsoft can do the Portable X-Box all they want, but in the meantime, Nintendo is still going to be cleaning up with their underpowered but far less expensive (not to mention much smaller) Gameboy.

I love my PSP, but then again I've loved alot of competitors to the Gameboy, and all of them bit the dust. Hopefully the PSP will fair better, but it does suffer from the same problems of all of the other competing handhelds:

#1. Not pocket Size, Too BIG!
#2. Limited Battery Life
#3. Well over the $100 casual gamer's handheld spending limit

These are the 3 factors in common with every other handheld that's been made since 1988 to compete against the Gameboy. These all lead to the most painful problem:

#4. Limited Game Library

None of those cutting edge handhelds ever developed a good game library, mostly because they were never around long enough to get a chance to. People don't like to make games for handhelds unless they have a large user base and the handheld is expected to be around for years to come. Developers know the Gameboy franchise is going to be around for years to come, not so much though with the PSP or even the DS.

So, my point is, well Microsoft can make the BIGGEST, BADDEST, MOST WICKED Handheld that ever was created on the face of God's Green Earth.... but if that handheld is Heavy, Expensive, and has terrible battery life... It's probably doomed to failure.

What's painful to see is that the PSP has this great Homebrew community that could be the key turning point to help the PSP succeed, where systems like the Atari Lynx and GameGear have failed. But Sony *HATES* Homebrew! And they've been trying to stomp it out at every turn! Without something dramatic and different to help save the PSP, it too will eventually suffer the same fate as every other Heavy, Big, Battery-Killing Handheld of the past.

I suppose, at the very least, if Sony dumps the PSP, at least then we'll finally have it all to ourselves. Much like the Dreamcast, the PSP will always have a home with Homebrew.

Emeriastone
April 4th, 2006, 22:10
if UMPC supports homebrew, it will knock out psp, but then again, it's microsoft... they hate piracy and that's a risk they won't take...

fourminusfive
April 4th, 2006, 23:55
The samsung version of the UMPC is quoted at $1400 when it first goes on sale in the US!!! That's ridiculous

csd-san
April 5th, 2006, 00:35
The samsung version of the UMPC is quoted at $1400 when it first goes on sale in the US!!! That's ridiculous

Then that's just saying "Hey, my super expensive handheld is better then your incredibly cheaper one."

Duh, what would be expected? The PSP and the UMPC are aimed at two different market. PSP killer, I don't think so.

Hiei311
April 5th, 2006, 01:00
wow u sum of u guys are dum UMPC is just a PC and i seen the trailer of halo1, it ****en lags like hell, all i need is my PSP and my 256 mb card and im all set, UMPC is just another PDA and will cost more then 14000 cuz iv seen a VIO that looks just like that for 15000. knowing microsoft it might be more then 15000, and if mircosoft will make a handheld it will set on fire in your hands or crash, just like xbox and xbox360, i mean microsoft is realy good with this stuff but come on they have to stop releasing there systems to early, and just like
Joe88 said,
"specs to run XP> 300mhz , 64MB RAM , 800MB HD space.
its bearly nothing. All it is , is a oversized PDA." He is right its just a over sized PDA sooo the psp will be better then UMPC

stotheamuel
April 5th, 2006, 03:53
wow u sum of u guys are dum UMPC is just a PC and i seen the trailer of halo1, it ****en lags like hell, all i need is my PSP and my 256 mb card and im all set, UMPC is just another PDA and will cost more then 14000 cuz iv seen a VIO that looks just like that for 15000. knowing microsoft it might be more then 15000, and if mircosoft will make a handheld it will set on fire in your hands or crash, just like xbox and xbox360, i mean microsoft is realy good with this stuff but come on they have to stop releasing there systems to early, and just like
Joe88 said,
"specs to run XP> 300mhz , 64MB RAM , 800MB HD space.
its bearly nothing. All it is , is a oversized PDA." He is right its just a over sized PDA sooo the psp will be better then UMPC

im pretty sure your numbers "$15,000" are typos lol

yeah and with those specs don't expect a psp killer and i doubt this will have much of a better battery life

Payk
April 5th, 2006, 09:01
Ok first thing : Its not a microsoft thing!!! Microsoft will release one to but there will be others too. So it will play normal PC games. What do u think, it has a geforce 7800 gtx? i dont think so...So they bring out a device wich is worse then a PC/Laptop. And another thing: I am a nintendo fan too. But u can say what u want sony made a good start in handheld scene! Ok a umd-drive which loads less fast then cardrich and which needs more powersupply is very stupid but it was their first try and the gfxs are much better then on other handhelds. The PSP games are much bigger. I never played a nds game more then a week! They are fine and inovative too. But not more. And those games nintendo promissed at 2004 are coming right now. I have waited too long of them and after 2 years they dont look better... BUT METROID is a game that u never could play on any device like on nds... But its one of perhaps 5 games i realy like for nds... I hope nintendo and that puplishers get it solved...

PraiseBrad
April 5th, 2006, 19:52
all of you are dumbass kids who are talking out their asses :mad: the umpc is a microsoft product but the hardware is being made by other companys not to mention that microsofts new windows Vista will be on the umpc by the years end. the system is expected to to have specs far above the psp the basic umpc has a processing speed of 1-3 ghz depending on the model bought and up to a gig of ram and since it uses a full version of windows XP right now microsoft has stated on their website that any windows app able to run on a normal windows based pc will run on it. the only thing going bad for it is cd based pc games will need cd cracks to run on them

kyle2194
April 6th, 2006, 00:00
Dude, check samsungs website. http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/mobilecomputing/ultramobile/np_q1_v000suk.asp?page=Features
Scroll down to the bottom.
Weighing just 779kg and only 24.5mm deep, the Q1 is the world’s first Ultra Mobile PC without compromise. 779 kilograms, thats a typo.

nexus68
April 6th, 2006, 02:07
Check www.origamiportal.com website for real good info.
I love this UMPC concepts from Fujitsu.
Does this shot remind anyone else of the Gameboy Advance SP :D
http://www.origamiportal.com/origami/images/fujitsu/fujitsu_umpc.jpg
http://www.origamiportal.com/origami/images/fujitsu/fujitsu_umpc2.jpg