PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Judge Throws Out Game Law

wraggster
April 4th, 2006, 16:35
The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) today hailed yet another federal district court ruling issuing a permanent injunction against a Michigan bill which sought to ban video game sales to minors, ruling that the bill is unconstitutional and cannot be implemented. The opinion was issued by The Hon.George Caram Steeh, US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan.

"Judge Steeh's ruling represents a sweeping rejection of the state's claims regarding the harmful effects of violent video games and we will move immediately for reimbursement of the substantial legal fees incurred in this court fight which the state could have, and should have, never triggered," said Douglas Lowenstein, President of the ESA, the trade group representing U.S. computer and video game publishers. "It is noteworthy that Judge Steeh specifically chastised the state for not doing what we urged them to do from the start, which is to find less restrictive ways to help ensure that parents make sound choices about the games their kids play. With this wasteful litigation behind us, we hope the state will now do just that and we remain ready to work cooperatively with them."

In his decision, the judge firmly dismissed the state's claim that the interactive nature of video games makes them less entitled to First Amendment protection. "The interactive, or functional aspect, in video games can be said to enhance the expressive elements even more than other media by drawing the player closer to the characters and becoming more involved in the plot of the game than by simply watching a movie or television show," Judge Steeh wrote. "It would be impossible to separate the functional aspects of a video game from the expressive, inasmuch as they are so closely intertwined and dependent on each other in creating the virtual experience."

Regarding the “science" presented by the state purporting to show a link between violent games and violent behavior and thoughts, the court said, "Dr. [Craig] Anderson's studies have not provided any evidence that the relationship between violent video games and aggressive behavior exists." It added that the evidence introduced alleging that new brain mapping studies show a link between violent games and aggressive thought is equally unpersuasive. "The research not only fails to provide concrete evidence that there is a connection between violent media and aggressive behavior, it also fails to distinguish between video games and other forms of media," the Judge wrote.

Addressing the state's claims that video games are more harmful than TV because the player controls the action, the court said there is no evidence to support such a claim, adding that "it could just as easily be said that the interactive element in video games acts as an outlet for minors to vent their violent or aggressive behavior, thereby diminishing the chance they would actually perform such acts in reality....Not only does the Act not materially advance the state's stated interest, but it appears to discriminate against a disfavored 'newcomer' in the world of entertainment media. Thus, 'singling out' the video game industry does not advance the state's alleged goal," the Judge concluded.

Amiga
April 4th, 2006, 16:49
The only people who are affected by violent games or films are already mad in first place.

bullhead
April 4th, 2006, 16:56
When i think of people who want to outlaw video games, i think of feminists and religious extremists. I dont know why. Maybe they have similar personality traits. Or a large amount of bodily hair. I dunno. Maybe they just want to protest for the sake of protesting. Or maybe they have such empty lives that they just need to get out and make themselves heard, to prevent themselves fading away.

vettacossx
April 4th, 2006, 18:52
"It is noteworthy that Judge Steeh specifically chastised the state for not doing what we urged them to do from the start, which is to find less restrictive ways to help ensure that parents make sound choices about the games their kids play. With this wasteful litigation behind us, we hope the state will now do just that and we remain ready to work cooperatively with them."

ALL I CAN REALLY SAY IS..... "I TOLD YOU SO"...LOL...
WHEN WRAGGSTER POSTED THIS NEWS LAST WEEK I HAD SAIS "NOT ONLY WOULD THIS BE UN-CONSTITUTIONAL BUT THE REAL QUESTION IS WHEN DOES PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY BECOME A FACTOR, THIS COUNTRY IS SO MESSED UP"

well im glad i was weong about what i thought the decision would be.but what is better is that a true PATRIOT stood up and said "you will not taKE AWAY MY RIGHTS BECAUSE THIS KIDS PARENTS CANT RAISE THERE CHILD PROPLERLEY I BELEAVE IT WAS SROON OR SNIPER THAT SAID:
"ANOTHER CASE OF INSERT EXUSE -----<---HERE"
LOL GR8 QUOTE!

John Vattic
April 4th, 2006, 19:25
Like I said they are making money off of WAR. War is almost encouraged. how the hell can government not look like hipocrytees the elder philosopher of Pluto?

America is getting Fu**ed up, Politicians suck, and Freedom will ring i do solemly swear by my black gloved fist. for all except the illuminati. they go down. hard watch

"Make War, Money, and Poverty for all"-George W. Cheney's thought process

Cap'n 1time
April 5th, 2006, 01:13
"Like I said they are making money off of WAR. War is almost encouraged. how the hell can government not look like hipocrytees the elder philosopher of Pluto?"

-What does the father of modern medicine have to do with anything?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocrates

"Hippocrates" was a brilliant physician and perhapes performed the earliest successful brain surgery. What Pluto has to do with this I dont really know...

"America is getting Fu**ed up, Politicians suck, and Freedom will ring i do solemly swear by my black gloved fist. for all except the illuminati. they go down. hard watch"

-hmm. Its time to get off the 6th grade reading list and move on. No doubt Dan Browns novel was a page turner... but much of it is theory and much of it is fiction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati

" "Make War, Money, and Poverty for all"-George W. Cheney's thought process "

Perhapes, but we perfer to keep politics out of the forum.

stotheamuel
April 5th, 2006, 03:42
"Regarding the “science" presented by the state purporting to show a link between violent games and violent behavior and thoughts, the court said, "Dr. [Craig] Anderson's studies have not provided any evidence that the relationship between violent video games and aggressive behavior exists." It added that the evidence introduced alleging that new brain mapping studies show a link between violent games and aggressive thought is equally unpersuasive. "The research not only fails to provide concrete evidence that there is a connection between violent media and aggressive behavior, it also fails to distinguish between video games and other forms of media," the Judge wrote. "

finaly someone smart in government

Cap'n 1time
April 5th, 2006, 14:35
finaly someone smart in government

impossible :p