PDA

View Full Version : Imput Idea

Privateer
April 5th, 2006, 06:15
Well, I was thinking about how slow it is to type with a PSP, and I thought up of a slightly elaborate, yet very fast, typing system for imputting text on such a device. You never have to move around little button icons on the screen and you never have to click a button more than once to shift through characters.

The directional pad and the 4 game buttons are characters. Holding down L, R, both, or neither determines which set of characters you can imput. Additional characters can be toggled with the analogue stick. This is the overall summary of how it works...

If L and R aren't held down:
- Down: a
- Left: b
- Up: c
- Right: d
- X: e
- [ ]: f
- ^: g
- O: h
- [Start]: Paste
- [Select]: Hold down and press directions on the analogue to select an area of text; when you let go, the area is cut (you can just paste it if you only intended to copy it); if you try to imput a letter while you're still holding [Select] down, it will hotkey your selection to whatever button(s) you pressed (see Analogue commands)
If only L is held down:
- Down: i
- Left: j
- Up: k
- Right: l
- X: m
- [ ]: n
- ^: o
- O: p
- [Start]: Delete character immediately after cursor
- [Select]: Delete character immediately before cursor
If only R is held down:
- Down: q
- Left: r
- Up: s
- Right: t
- X: u
- [ ]: v
- ^: w
- O: x
- [Start]: Move cursor right one character
- [Select]: Move cursor left one character
If both L and R are held down:
- Down: y
- Left: z
- Up: SPACE ( )
- Right: PERIOD (.)
- X: COMMA (,)
- [ ]: EXCLAMATION POINT (!)
- ^: QUESTION MARK (?)
- O: APOSTROPHE (')
- [Start]: Finish/end imput
- [Select]: Cancel imput
If you press up on the analogue, it toggles capitol letters.
If you press left on the analogue, it toggles accented/foreign characters.
If you press right on the analogue, it toggles special characters/punctuation/numbers.
If you press down on the analogue, it toggles hotkeyed pre-set words (each imput command could be set by the user to insert a custom phrase so that you could avoid having to type out long words you use often).

It might take a tad getting used to, but it'd be much, much faster than what we've currently got once you got it down, and you could have a dynamic key guide right on screen to help you out.

Of course, there's not too much point to this, but I thought I'd share the idea. I guess if anyone's making homebrew that involves lots of text, they could try providing the option of using this form of imput.