PDA

View Full Version : The Fourth Creation Game Competition.

wraggster
April 5th, 2006, 18:24
Oobles the admin over at PS2Dev (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=38172) posted this news:

After five years its time to have a fun competition to put all the hardwork that has gone into ps2sdk, pspsdk and all the other great tools to some use. The goal is simple, write your own homebrew original game in the next 2months. The best entry for PSP and PS2 win a prize. Simple!

I(Oobles) will be the official ajudicator of the competition. I won't be entering the competition and I will be one of about five judges.

What are the prizes I hear you ask!? Well, I'm hoping to get hold of a new Homebrew compatible PSP (firmware 1.5) as a prize to the best ps2 game. And I'm hoping to get hold of a new modified slim line PS2 for the best PSP game. When I've got these things confirmed, I'll update this post! Remember if you wait to find out if we get these, you'll be giving everyone else a head start. :)

The Basic Rules.

- There is two competitions. Best entry for PSP game and PS2 game wins.
- Games must be entered by the end of June 5th (2 months).
- Entries will be judged on Gameplay, Originality, Graphics, Sound and Polish. Scores will be out of 10 for each.
- There will be five judges for each competition.
- All games must be suitable for a teens. No Adults only content please.
- All entries must be original. (ie no ports of games)
- All entries must be submitted here with a link to where it can be downloaded. If you need a hosting location talk to me via private message.
- All entries must include a Fourth Creation splash on the openning title. (will provide images to these images soon)
- All entries must include a readme, that describes the game, the author, contact email address, and other special info.
- All entries must be freely distributable. Source code does not need to be included, but would be nice.
- Multiple entries are allowed.
- Rules (and prizes) are subject to change without notice.

The Playstation 2 competition

- Prize is hopefully a PSP with firmware 1.5 for best entry.
- Games must be playable using the PS2LINK 1.46 via Host.
- Games should be playable on at least one of PAL or NTSC (hint: working on both counts towards polish points)
- Games can be entered which require special peripherals (eg gun controls), however, judges are likely not to own the required peripherals and final scores may be highly effected by this.

The Playstation Portable competition

- Prize is hopefully a Playstation 2 ready for homebrew for best entry.
- Games must be playable on a PSP with firmware 1.5
- Games should not run in kernel mode unless you can give a good reason.

If you have any questions, please post them to this thread. If you are interested in being a judge for either competition please send me a private message. You may not enter if you are a judge.

If you would like to provide prizes, please send me an email to oobles at hotmail dot com

Goodluck!
David. aka Oobles.

PSmonkey
April 5th, 2006, 18:45
Hmm, Might be a good compo to do Iris 0.2 for providing they allow updated release of an original game.

MikeDX
April 5th, 2006, 18:48
interesting.. time to put brunos devlib to use...

bullhead
April 5th, 2006, 19:34
I reckon a lot of the coders of homebrew already have a ps2 slimline. May i suggest a generous cash prize or an x-box360 or some other decent prize? I mean come on the ps2 is nearly 7 years old.
PS: I dont make games! So im not trying to mould the prize around myself. I just think better prizes will yield better results from the homebrew developers.

Cooe14
April 5th, 2006, 19:44
^^ agreed. If they are coding for the psp i'd be willing to bet that they have a ps2.

PSmonkey
April 5th, 2006, 20:09
I could use a PS2. I already have a 360 but need a ps2 so i can play kingdom hearts 2 (been lazy to get once since I use to use my roommates but then i moved out 2 years ago).

MikeDX
April 5th, 2006, 20:28
I dont have a ps2 nor do i want one as they are old :P i'll take the psp though :)

bullhead
April 5th, 2006, 20:31
Would you not prefer to win cash? Say 100 quid or so. I would be glad to contribute, but i dont have a credit card or a job. But still i cant believe how much coders give without getting much in return for their efforts. Also when you think about it, the prize should be well more than £100. The hours coders put into homebrew it seems is a very large amount. £100 does not seem like much of a reward in the scale of things.

Cooe14
April 5th, 2006, 20:35
Well call me darned PSmonkey dosen't have a ps2. I have been provin wrong :)
(P.S. If i had one i would give it to you, you deserve it)

vettacossx
April 6th, 2006, 00:50
Do Emulators Count? I Hope Psmonkey Gets The 64 Running Good Ill Send Money To Him After All I Think He Should Have Won The Last!! His Game Iris Is All Original Come On Now!

vettacossx
April 6th, 2006, 00:52
Ill Tell You What Ps Monkey Heres My Commitment To You...if You Get A 64 Running Mario 64 At Playable Speed...ill Mail You My Ps2 Thin ...and Ill Buy Kingdom Hearts 2 For You And Mail Them Too Your House Word Up Write Down My E-mail

PSmonkey
April 6th, 2006, 03:13
lol. Nice :D

Still gonna be a few months.

Anyways Iris 0.2 has a date again !! I got the thumbs up on being allowed to submit updates to a previous release.

Wazza_inc
April 6th, 2006, 04:24
YAY! Finally, Iris was good but it got boring very quickly. And when is the date?

jairolas
April 6th, 2006, 04:30
if psmoneky get mario 64 running on the psp, i´ll send you a gp32 =P

nomi
April 6th, 2006, 14:02
I have a something that runs on the browser! but i cant enter it THAT sux!!!!