PDA

View Full Version : The PSP - Has it Lived up to your Expectations ?

wraggster
April 6th, 2006, 08:27
The PSP was touted as an amazing console with the look of a porsche and awesome graphics in game and with the addition of what is an amazing homebrew scene but has it lived up to the expectations that sold it to you in the first place.

Answer via the comments

crazy_biker420
April 6th, 2006, 08:35
the psp has come a long way and the homebrew i can see coming through nicly psp is still way to expensive

bullhead
April 6th, 2006, 08:36
It has... and then some. But only because of the psp coders. Sony gave me a half full glass, the coders topped it up.

dOOmy
April 6th, 2006, 09:24
I had a DS first and then I bought a PSP and I thought "o my god" and i left my ds at home and then sold it. I loved my PSP, i took it everywhere I went, i even slept with it. Unfortunatly my PSP didnt return the love. My experiences with PSP have been disastrous. My oriiginal psp developed a noise in the umd drive and the games would stop in the middle. I got a refurbished one and was happy again, but soon after that the new ones analog stick unit broke and i could only play games with the dpad, and that only with the psp putting a downright tilt on the charecters your controlling. I finally got a new analog stick unit and put it in but now the umd drive wont work at all. So now ive bought a new DS and am back to where i started from. $onys workmanship leaves much to be desired.

idapimp
April 6th, 2006, 09:49
im happy. and with every major homebrew update and release (psmonkeys WIP updates for monkey 64 and iris especially) it gets even better.

dkainer
April 6th, 2006, 10:42
Glad this thread has started.
I've been hugely disappointed by the lack of decent PSP games.
The homebrew scene is great, but I'd prefer not to have to revisit my youth and play emu games to enjoy myself.
I have complete respect for all the coders out their doing their utmost to improve the homebrew scene, but come on official game coders make some good bloody games!!
We got a very poor version of ProEvo and will keep getting ports and remakes of old games.
I'm seriously thinking of getting a DS Lite 'cos Advanced Wars is great and the New Zelda coming out looks awesome.
Come on Sony, pull your finger out!!

BuckCherry
April 6th, 2006, 11:00
I just got my PSP, my cousin came in from Florida and I got to messing around with his and loved it. But the only reason I loved it was for the 4g storage for all my music needs and that the generous coders out there made it rock by letting me play "old" games. I have GTA ordered and looking forward to getting the ball rolling on getting all the great NES and SNES games I grew up loving. Thanks a ton to you coders out there keep rockin' !

b8a
April 6th, 2006, 12:04
Honsetly, no. Like others have said, my disappointment in the PSP does not, by any means reflect the homebrew movement, only the official support and direction of the system. I waited patiently for the PSP for over two years, and now it's been out for well over a year and there are still hardly any games that even look attractive. Yet, there is a plentiful selection of UMD movies... Oh! And on top of the fact that there aren't many games that look good to begin with, most of the ones I do want require some sort of hack to run (if they'll run at all) on my 1.50, so I'm forced to either support ISO loaders, which I'm generally opposed to, or just ignore commercial releases entirely. Don't get me wrong, homebrew's great, but it's only icing on the cake. I originally wanted the PSP to play commercial games. But I guess that's actually not much of a problem right now since there aren't that many games I'm interested in. If there were 10+, then I'd seriously look into getting a second PSP. Actually, the lack of games for it is probably the point I'm most disappointed with. The DS is a rediculous gimmick in my opinion, so I can't begin to describe the disappointment I felt when I started wanting one. As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason that the PSP shouldn't have a library comprable to the DS's, but while DS users are getting a steady stream of great titles, all we're getting is a trickle of mediocre ones.

But I ramble. The PSP is neat, but it's just not as useful as it could be. Thankfully one of the reasons I got it was to program and make content specifically for it, so as long as that's an option I can never say I'm completely dissatisfied with the PSP. Just wish I had more time devote to that pursuit (!_!)

moogster66
April 6th, 2006, 12:15
This might sound kinda weak, but i never owned an Ipod. So the mp3 portable music thing was new to me. That being said, the psp is awesome! I can take it anywhere, and have games, vids, mp3's. I am so glad i never bought an ipod. I will agree with the others that the majority of the games suck. I am a first person shooter fan, and the best FPS games are the emulators for Doom, and Quake. Games from ten years ago plus. But, our generous coders ROCK! Keep up the great work guys! The biggest gripe I have about the mp3 player is no treble or bass adjustment! Come on Sony! So the way i see it, the PSP is a great mp3 player, with alot of great extras. I take it everywhere, and am very happy with it.

geise69
April 6th, 2006, 12:25
For me I would say yes, but not a huge yes. The main reason i got my jap psp was the fact that Ridge Racers was coming out for it at launch. I am such a huge fan of the series and seeing it running 60fps on a sweet looking hand held had me sold. Seeing that game running when I got mine durring the japanese launch really amazed me. The other reason I bought it was that I knew about the GP32 and it's homebrew and thought the psp would be amazing for homebrew, and it has. It's really the homebrew that has made me love my psp so much. However with the lack of "emulator" updates over the past couple months and some really good umd games like Ys Ark of Napishtim (besides load times it's still amazing) Gradius Portable, SFA3M, and the soon to be released Ghouls n' Ghosts game I was forced to update rather than wait to play it with a UMD loader. I love everything the homebrew coders have done. It really has made me enjoy my psp and I'm sure I will in the future Most of my time as of late though is with my lovely GP2x playing full speed genesis/mega drive, neo-geo mvs, and mame.

sroon
April 6th, 2006, 13:47
Im happy with my psps! i have two 1.50 and a 2.60 for my real games, its always good to have backup!

CU_AMiGA
April 6th, 2006, 14:19
Hey Yo!

Apart from the homebrew community, the PSP comes a VERY poor 2nd place to the Nintendo DS. IMHO The homebrew community prevents the PSP being a total disaster. I have a v2.00 PSP and just use it for emulation and GTA.

Regards,

muffinman
April 6th, 2006, 14:42
I love my psp because the homebrews great (thank you 1.5) but the official games are generally crap. I mean socom oline is sweet and i can sit there for hours but i can't be bothered to upgrade and downgrade anymore because im waiting on mph to sort out the multiplayer for it with the umd loader, so that sucks.
Also most of you feel you have it bad and you guys dont even live in england. We have to wait months to get the games you have for instance i had my socom with the headset bought for me for christmas, but that was from america where it had already been out for a month or so yet over here it still hasnt been released :s
I wont leave my psp as its great i could do with a new game though so time to buy a ds and get me multiplayer tetris :P

MadMonkee
April 6th, 2006, 14:57
I had a DS first and then I bought a PSP and I thought "o my god" and i left my ds at home and then sold it. I loved my PSP, i took it everywhere I went, i even slept with it. Unfortunatly my PSP didnt return the love. My experiences with PSP have been disastrous. My oriiginal psp developed a noise in the umd drive and the games would stop in the middle. I got a refurbished one and was happy again, but soon after that the new ones analog stick unit broke and i could only play games with the dpad, and that only with the psp putting a downright tilt on the charecters your controlling. I finally got a new analog stick unit and put it in but now the umd drive wont work at all. So now ive bought a new DS and am back to where i started from. $onys workmanship leaves much to be desired.

I had my PSP for quite sometime and only problem I had was from its top view the left side of the UMD lid is a little bit spaced far from what it used to be.

Perhaps you need to "Sleep with your psp" a little less harsh.

MadMonkee
April 6th, 2006, 14:59
Im happy with my psps! i have two 1.50 and a 2.60 for my real games, its always good to have backup!

When you got the money...

chaos-is-me
April 6th, 2006, 15:02
I got the Ds and Psp at about the same time and initially I played the Ds non-stop and my Psp went neglected. This was mostly due to the fact that Ds games are about £25 and Psp games are about £40. Since I have been getting into homebrew on my Psp I have been using it more and more but Ds is still #1 in my book.

Where are all the decent Psp games!?!

Voltron
April 6th, 2006, 16:09
Yes, I think the PSP has lived up. I would gripe about the quality of commercial UMD games but finally some real great games are coming out. It took a year but that is the same with most any system. I have both a DS and 60GB iPod and both are sitting neglected. I have 3 or 4 games for my DS and like 30 for the PSP.

I must give thanks to the homebrew community and all coders supporting it. With PSP homebrew, the PSP won't get old and obselete in the sense that a lot of technology does. Homebrew apps are getting better and better.

What I hate is that the PSP has such little storage options. 4GB MAX doesn't seem to do the little portable justice. With all said, the PSP is the best.

LazerTag
April 6th, 2006, 16:43
I love all the old emulated systems for the PSP and much of the homebrew. Actually still surprised that someone has not really taken the reigns of GBA emulation a little further, but it'll get there I hope.

I have yet to find any PSP game that does anything for me. GTA is OK I guess, but it's still much more fun playing on a console or PC. Same can be said for many other of the games so far.

I do like to use my PSP in my car with my FM transmitter to listen to my MP3's which is pretty cool.

UMD movies I could really care less about. The same can be said for taking pictures with me for my purposes.

All in all I was happy with my purchase of the device. I didn't however buy it new either. No way was I going to pay $250 at the time, I paid much less buying one from someone with an ad in the local paper.

iniquitous_beast
April 6th, 2006, 16:59
I live in an area saturated by a wireless network. Naturally, I was thrilled to hear that the psp would support online gameplay over WLAN. Aside from a general shortage of games (outside the racing genre), the psp has seen very few (if any) games that support real-time online gameplay. Ad-hoc is pretty lame when you don't know other people in your area who own psps. My psp is currently up for bid on ebay. I'm just going to buy a ps2 to satisfy my gaming/homebrew need.

Flipao
April 6th, 2006, 18:03
I found it somewhat bulky and clumsy at first... it has since grown on me, great device, shame the games aren't quite living up to expectations, but thank god for homebrew :)

lowride
April 6th, 2006, 19:03
PSP is crap! Homebrew is good!

What was everyone expecting?

Some things I expected,
- 6-way fun multiplayer gaming (they didnt deliver),
- free widespread Wifi (yeah, right),
- a good internet experience (no proper input),
- music and video streaming in psp ready format from websites (havent seen any),
- remote control for pc and tv (doesnt work on my tv),
- good msn with cam support (no cam yet or proper input).

Homebrew attempts to fix things, but its wip of course.

Yes, I am very jealous of the DS! Waiting for DS Lite :rolleyes:

Jonesyxxiv
April 6th, 2006, 19:20
If it wasnt for the Homebrew id probably say no. I would never use my PSP if it wernt for the homebrew but with it it is way better than i expected.

Apoklepz
April 6th, 2006, 19:40
It did meet my expectations, and even overcame them... The native console games are good and getting better and I don't even want to start about Homebrew, I'd never stop!!! Only thing that got me down was the big S trying to keep us away from most of the really neat stuff..But yes, I'm happy.

Cooe14
April 6th, 2006, 20:00
Lets put it this way if it weren't for the great homebrew I would have sold my psp ages ago. It's like sony creates this system then takes a dump on it and leaves it to rot. If i want to play non homebrew 99% of the time i will play my DS.

jetkey885
April 6th, 2006, 20:17
My psp have not live up to the money that my girlfriend had spent to buy it for me. the only thing that's pushing the psp right now is the homebrew apps and emus. the games one the psp are not entertaining as hyped. my DS on the other hand is way better when it comes to fun games, and it's cheaper too. DS=fun games. PSP=money not well spent.

nexus68
April 6th, 2006, 21:54
The biggest gripe I have about the mp3 player is no treble or bass adjustment! Come on Sony! So the way i see it, the PSP is a great mp3 player, with alot of great extras. I take it everywhere, and am very happy with it.

If headphones are connected you have 4 preconfig dsp: pops, jazz, unique, heavy. Just push the "note" bouton. But i agree audio is not spectacular on psp.

SmashinGit
April 6th, 2006, 22:10
I to would of sold my psp ages ago if it wasn't for the homebrew. I also had a DS before my PSP and sold it, but will be getting a DS Lite once it's released over here. I'm not bashing the PSP, it is a sexy piece of kit, its just the games that have been released for it, in my opinion, arn't all that.

t0pflite101
April 6th, 2006, 22:13
Although there could be some improvements, I would have to say that the PSP has lived up to my expectations. Thanks to homebrew, the possibilities are endless! It's awesome when you can borrow one of your friend's games and dump it with fastloader, then you'll have it forever! The only major disappointment is the limited memory. Not even 4GB is really enough.

Raekwik11
April 7th, 2006, 00:27
I have UMD problems like dOOmy. I bought a new one now and everything has been fine thanks to the homebrew scene.

Dmill
April 7th, 2006, 02:50
wtf is wrong with you people: so no good games o well you can play nes snes mame neo geo hell even gameboy advanced although its really slow. Soon to come n64, a halo "port" a camera and i have even read that it may be used for a celly. not only this you can stream most files from your computer strait to it, even control your computer. not only thaattt..... you can control tv with it dvd cd players and any sort of entertainment. The hombrew is amazing, they have it all, hell you can even make your own beats. i never wanted a psp but when i bought mine for a 100 i was planning to sell it. i became to attached. its nerdy to say but im on here every day psp hacks and psp updates, check monkey 64 progress every day look for new hombrew and im off. this machine is amazing the progress the hackers have made in one year is a short bout of a miracle, unhackable hell sony you dont have ***t on any of the hackers. whatever anyone says this machine is amazing and wont get out of style for a while: PSP FOREVER

stotheamuel
April 7th, 2006, 03:26
i love it i didnt think it would be this good but atleast...

problems-
- no 2 analog
-mem stick price
-no good enough games to update since gta
- not too many formats excepted (atleast on 1.5)
- battery life (not too bad to me though)
-games should atleast be lower than a ps2 game!
-umd movies. (PERIOD!)

Ichijoe
April 7th, 2006, 19:34
In short....

NO!

First off it took almost exactly One whole Year for the PSP to get to Europe! After it hit the Streets in Japan and the US.

Sadly the PSP*™ has been a bit of a waste I was looking for a good Handheld System to play Playstation-esq RPGs' on and found myself swamped in a Sea full of lame-arsed over priced UMD Movies' and just ~15+ Games. None of' em really worth having. The "Highlite"?! To date has been GTA:LCS.

As far as Homebrew goes. Yes it's a defente plus! But, as with newer Games requireing ever higher (e.g. more hacker secure), Firmwares. how much longer can this scene remain viable? Sure the worlds full of highly intelligent Geeks', great! Then S0NY*™ will just eventualy force a new Firmware (i.e. even more secure then the last!), on us. So while 1.50 / 2.00 Loaders are indeed cool. This is just a dead end, in that you'll either have to let Homebrew go at some point. Or refuse to buy more Games. Which oddly enough seems simple enough. is anyone from S0NY*™ reading this?!

It sees that hardly a day goes by that there isn't some review of some new Game that just got released in Japan (of all places!), that most Mortals will never see the outside of!

Oh yeah I'm impressed with my PSP*™!!!

Musoka_Eimin
April 10th, 2006, 01:07
I love mine, but its a dual edge sword, had mine since launch and have NOT had any problems with the hardware itself EXCEPT the analog stick. They really dropped the ball on that part, plus it REALLY would have been much better with the second analog stick. The fact that mine is 1.50 and is versatile with the homebrew iced the cake for me....However, I am pretty upset that in order to keep that functionality I have to use ISO loaders and UMD loaders, just to play the newer games that are TRICKLING out slowly, patching and playing with flash memory etc. Also I agree the ball has been dropped on the games, A. they are overpriced, B. Not many games out for it, C. In all the games that ARE out, I'd pick only a few to actually buy and play. Also UMD movies are overpriced, and converting vidz to memory stick is a pain in the.... Other than that I think sony did a great job for a handheld, I have no plans to sell mine, or to upgrade firmware, just so mad every time a new game comes out I have to search for a way to load the thing....All in all I love my psp tho. :) I'd just like to reiterate that I do NOT wish to use ISO loaderz and the like but. Sony forces my hand to get some of MY games running I HONESTLY don't believe in using ISO's you don't own as that is WHY SONY MAKES THIS HARD ON US ALL. Any ISO'z i have ever used I own the game for, I do not support piracy as it is no different than walking into the store and tucking games under your jacket, shoplifting what it is....