PDA

View Full Version : How To: 20GB External Storage for PSP

wraggster
April 7th, 2006, 00:50
Source Furrygoat (http://www.furrygoat.com/2006/01/how_to_20gb_ext.html)

While I love my Playstation Portable as a both a game machine and portable media device, one of the biggest limiations is the fact you're limited to the storage on the memory stick. Even with a 1GB stick, after you drop on a movie or two, you're really limited in what you can store on it compared to an iPod.

About a year ago, I picked up an Asus WL-HDD drive enclosure (available from Newegg for $88). What's cool about it is that it's not only an external 2.5" drive case, but also packs in a 100mb ethernet connection, 802.11g ethernet access point, and an additional USB port for external drives. This is in an extremely small (180mm*90mm*25mm) form factor that weighs only 200g - perfect for travelling or a small home NAS device. I ended up dropping in an old 20GB laptop drive just to play around with it.

Check out the linkabove for full info on how to do it.

sroon
April 7th, 2006, 00:57
So can you plug this Thingermagiger into your PSP?

felonyr301
April 7th, 2006, 01:28
thats what im saying he didnt mention anything about it lol?

jairolas
April 7th, 2006, 02:23
what?

stotheamuel
April 7th, 2006, 02:28
ok its an external drive

you hook it to your computer

downoad music videos (maybe homebrew)

all store on it hook it to the psp and turn on usb mode transfer files without a computer

say a full length movie is 700 mb u can only fit one on a 1 gig memory stick but 20+ on the external hd and its portable

the only problem is that you need a external hd that you can transfer off the hd because you can't with the psp

*** but with 2.6 you can transfer data

JoshM248
April 7th, 2006, 03:16
Damn, I need to get a job. So I can buy me a new UMD drive or buy me a new PSP. Oh, and save up to buy me one of those. :D

bobnickelson
April 7th, 2006, 04:25
ok its an external drive

you hook it to your computer

downoad music videos (maybe homebrew)

all store on it hook it to the psp and turn on usb mode transfer files without a computer

say a full length movie is 700 mb u can only fit one on a 1 gig memory stick but 20+ on the external hd and its portable

the only problem is that you need a external hd that you can transfer off the hd because you can't with the psp

*** but with 2.6 you can transfer data

it doesn't hook up to the psp, its not like the other hardrives that you turn on usb mode, and transfer files. This encolsure is specificly for firmware 2.6, and the ability to stream mp3s over a RSS feed, which the enclosure that he talks about can allow you to create.

StealthCP
April 7th, 2006, 18:16
Meh, that's just boring. Needs to connect to the PSP like other portable HDD devices. I remember seeing a good one before..

pepegomez
April 7th, 2006, 18:19
isnt it easiere to plug in an usb hdd?
i think thats what usb is for ^^

felonyr301
April 7th, 2006, 19:27
just get the 40 gig hard drive for the psp i know is somewhere in that sucess place thingy just look it up...

RedKing14CA
April 7th, 2006, 20:14
just get the 40 gig hard drive for the psp i know is somewhere in that sucess place thingy just look it up...

dude.... WTH are you talking about? lol...

Ive seen these External HDD's that are like 60-80GB that hook up via USB and have a very tiny (like quarter sized) screen that you can supposedly browse/tranfer/ and delete files in the HDD AND the PSP memory with......

But 2.6??? whats the point if you cant jam in all your Negeo, Snes, N64, and Homebrew games...

the only other choice is the 4GB HDD with the battery (if you want a cheap PSP combatilble HDD) which is VERY slow and does NOT work on most homebrew... and is SLOOOOOW... SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW...

i dont recomend it, Am now kicking myself for spending $200 on what is now like half that price (and a fourth on EBAY :D)

I heard the 4GB memory stick duo is $240

i want the 2GB ULtra THINGY!!! lol.... memory stick... yeah... faster than HDD and can launch PSP-OSS and File Assist ++

Lumir
April 7th, 2006, 21:14
I recently bought a 2gig sony mem stick that can transfer up to 80mgps for only $67(thats with the shipping and handeling and insurance included)!!! And it came with a free adapter. Now if thats not a good deal i dont know what is. But if you are looking for a mem stick then i suggest you look for them on Ebay. 2gigs is more then enough for me at least right now.

Squidman
April 7th, 2006, 21:33
This guy has time to spend......

that is pretty cool

maddog007
April 7th, 2006, 22:52
$40 with free shipping at http://www.zipzoomfly.com/

felonyr301
April 8th, 2006, 00:04
red i was talking about the external hdd's with the screen on it exactly what you talking about and i only heard about 40 gig ones dont know about any higher...

Drunken
April 8th, 2006, 00:35
Ok this thread is really confusing but i found the HDD this thread WAS talking about http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&description=Asus+WL&Submit=ENE&Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0 sry if its against the rules to post this like but yea ^.^ this thing can hold 20gb? and i dont think u would need any more then that + supposedly comes with WIFI