PDA

View Full Version : PSone games $15 on PSP?

wraggster
April 7th, 2006, 19:47
Source Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24502590)

The official story: "There has not been any official imagery released from Sony Computer Entertainment showcasing the PS one emulator on PSP. Please disregard those images as false."--a Sony representative.

What we heard: This morning, PSP Updates posted a news report about the PSP's upcoming PSone game emulation, based on an e-mail from a reader. Along with the e-mail, the site reprinted three pictures that showed the emulation system's interface and dropped hints about Sony's plans for the service.

Two of the pictures showed a lineup of downloadable games that featured a number of PSone games including Gran Turismo 2, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy VII. The third picture seems to be a submenu from which the user can download Gran Turismo 2, and contains information like the ESRB rating, details on the game's support for ad hoc and Infrastructure Wi-Fi modes, and interestingly enough, a price. Downloading the game would purportedly cost players $15.

However, There are a number of suspicious things about the PSP-download menu pictures. For one, look at the roster of games being offered. Sure, Gran Turismo 2 and Final Fantasy VII make sense, but what's with all the mediocre titles cluttering up the list? Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare? Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes? Not one, but two poorly received Broken Sword games? Then there's Doom II--which was was never released as a stand-alone game on the PlayStation. It was instead included in the original PlayStation version of Doom.

Beyond that, two of the pictures show text transposed over the PSP's signature background of gently lolling wavy lines. The thing is, those lines normally move, and the two screen shots show them in identical positions on the screen, suggesting that someone created both images from the same picture of the PSP background.

On the other hand, it's possible that these are conceptual mockups of the interface prepared internally by Sony, in which case everything is placeholder information (including the price), and things like a duplicated background or fabricated list of games wouldn't be any big deal. Also, incorporating obscure details like the PSP's Parental Control system (which includes 11 different levels of content restrictions) shows an unusual attention to detail for a faker who couldn't be bothered to change up the background from shot to shot.

But if that were the case, why wouldn't Sony have sent forth its cease-and-desist lawyer squad to have the images pulled? You know, the crew that made early info about God of War 2 and a co-op mode for the PSP Killzone disappear from the Web? Or the peeps that did the same thing when a site jumped the embargo date on screens for Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom? It just doesn't add up.

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus.

Well as i already posted and it seems the world of gaming sites agrees that they were indeed fake pictures

RedKing14CA
April 7th, 2006, 20:01
This is stupid, its just alot of hype about "how much will they be" and "what games" and "how big" and all that junk....

we all know Sony sucks, they probably will not be releasing good games, the crappy games they release will be $50, and even though sony has extremely good compression sofware, all the games will be EXACTLY the same size as the original ISOz AND they will be super encrypted and such so you cant copy them to ANYTHING but the PSP and if you delete it for more room on your memory stick, you have to REBUY IT!!!

Just expect that ^... but dont get your hopes TOO high, sony may not even be that good....

LOL, but if you listen to me ^ up there, expect all that, and your hopes wont be TOO crushed!!!

muffinman
April 7th, 2006, 20:16
we'll see what happens when the time comes I wont judge them before the official info comes out

Oni
April 7th, 2006, 20:28
I won't pay more then 10-15 $ for games i've allready got... hope that they won't be taking too much space on the mem-stick, 'cos i only got 512MB

BTW, is there set a release for the new patch or do we just have to wait and see?

ONi

tommyistommy
April 7th, 2006, 21:47
Wth? 15 bucks is insane. And those 4 and 8gb cards better be out by the time this service is. psx ISO's are around 300-800megs. I hope security is cracked, I'm not paying for every game I have again.

felonyr301
April 7th, 2006, 23:59
when this emulator comes out it just means a closer step in bringing a playable ps1 emulator for the homebrew community and i repeat homebrew community so the good guys will crack it and probably see how it works and just copy and paste or something...

ryan2006
April 8th, 2006, 12:57
i dont kno y ppl are so upset about payin 15 bucks lol ok ok u own the game already but would it not be worth it come on no1s forcing you and it only like 10 pound in the uk
put it this way around 50 hours of gr8 gameplay of ff VII or 10 pound?
:P 50 hours thts wat i completed it in hope thts around average

mog
April 8th, 2006, 14:02
less than 10 quid for an initial starting price is pretty good i recon, it's not like sony was gonna give them away for free.
i'd be willing to pay a tenner for the 100's of hours i will be playing ff7! :p

vettacossx
April 8th, 2006, 17:16
I FELL THAT SONY HAS TOO MAKE A PROFIT HOWEVER!
i think that they should keep in mind the LOYAL FANS but they never do...the technology exist to be with the loyal fans ...what is stopping SONY from being gr8 like ROCKSTAR and making a program that works somewhat like "costom tracks" where you pop in your audio cd and poof its in gta:lcs! well...imagine poping ff7 in your cd-rom of your pc,,,then "tranfering" ff7 in the same manor......nothing but greed is stopping this all that rockstar custom tracks does is "decryptes the audio" and piracy proof too! as it will only strat this encryption after contacting a "data base" to confirm your cd is a ligitamate copy!!! so if it went by say your "slus-key" ( your slus key is like the iso vin number) just a thought or prediction take it how you will ! ! !

omniosiris
April 8th, 2006, 17:53
come on guys, this really makes no sense for sony to do....it would be about 10x easier and not to mention 10x more secure, available, affordable and practical for them to just port the PS1 games they want to PSP and stick them on UMD discs. Also they'd probly sell alot more that way...cus as much as I would want to play FFVII im not about to pay $15 for it.....plus $100 for the 2GB memory card to hold it (the PSone iso is even over 2GB if I rember correctly, so it just doesn't make sense) im willing to bet anything that this is just a big rumor and sony is either doing A) nothing, or B) just porting our old PS1 favorites to the PSP which I would gladly buy on UMD for as much as $30

Voltron
April 9th, 2006, 21:03
Yes, I would prefer a lot of PSOne games ported and maybe even updated and enhanced for the PSP on UMD media. This would be great.

mog
April 9th, 2006, 23:04
I can't see how it would be any easier to port hundreds of games to PSP.
Sony knows exactly how a ps1 works, and has full access to psp's kernel-mode and the official sdk, so they should be able to make a pretty neat ps1 emulator.

It would be nice however, if the games could be enhanced in some way for PSP play.
Things like widescreen support and lower quality media for the smaller screen to reduce game file sizes would help alot.

It still seems difficult to believe that sony is going to release a way to play ps1 games anyway. There are so many complications just with the smaller screen and controls that it would be quite a challenge. Sony may make a bit of profit, but if this emulator works, no-one will buy umd games imo.

wolfpack
April 10th, 2006, 01:32
me want castlevania symphony of the night on psp :P