PDA

View Full Version : Edge asks, "Why aren't games funny?"

wraggster
April 7th, 2006, 19:51
Source Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/07/edge-asks-why-arent-games-funny/)

Edge Magazine takes a look at comedy in games ... and comes up pretty short. With the exception of oft-cited titles like pretty much the entire early LucasArts gems (Secret of Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Day Of The Tentacle, and others) and the occasional Conker's Bad Fur Day or Bard's Tale, there isn't much gamers can point to.

They talk with Grumpy Gamer (and writer of the hysterical Secret of Monkey Island) Ron Gilbert who frames the problem this way: "I think games have spent a lot of time trying to be movies, but the thing about games is that they’re organic, that players can hopefully to do whatever they want, and if you can work humor into that, then that’s great.” So games like Secret of Monkey Island are passed over in favor of the occasional gag in Metal Gear Solid?

Hopefully gamers still crave the scripted comedy of the adventure classics. With fellow Lucas Arts alum Tim Shafer taking top honors in writing at GDC for Psychonauts, and a new Sam & Max adventure coming our way, there's at least a modicum of hope that gamers will embrace funny games.

bill00000
April 7th, 2006, 20:16
They obviously haven't played 50 Cent: Bulletproof. Funniest game ever!

Darksaviour69
April 7th, 2006, 20:19
yeah, but the developers did not mean for it to be funny... you laughting at the game, not with it!

i have that issue, but could not be arse reading that feature

bullhead
April 7th, 2006, 20:34
All of the gta series are funny and witty in a very clever way. I like how they poke fun at pretty much every group in society in a sometimes subtle, sometimes obvious way. But yeah I cant think of much else.

Cap'n 1time
April 7th, 2006, 22:12
there is a lack of games with a sense of humor but here is a quick list of comedic games:

anything conkers
Mario RPG
psychonauts
... thats about all that ever got a giggle out of me.

dkjr83
April 8th, 2006, 15:29
Psychonauts is hilarious.

My wife and I are still quoting lines from it. Disgaea is pretty funny as well, but the article is correct in pointing out the lack of intentionally humorous adventure games on the market today. In that vein, the original Quest for Glory was pretty damn funny--can even play it on a psp (although unfortunately only the EGA version).

shadowprophet
April 9th, 2006, 01:05
I never really thought about it,
Comedy just hasnt found its home in video games as of yet I suppose,

Although The ps2 version of leasure suit larry is pretty funny:p

Maybe that will be one of the next great steps in the market,
Maybe not, But now that I think about it, With the videogame and movie industrys so tightly netwroked these days, Its really quite odd that there isnt a lot more comedy in video games.

The only reason I can give, Is that if comedy where all that important to people in video games, there would be a lot more of it around.

Its odd how you never notice somthing like that missing, untill somone brings it up :cool: