PDA

View Full Version : New "PSP 2" in the Works

wraggster
April 7th, 2006, 22:10
Source - ShackNews (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/41595)

Shacknews has learned from a reliable source close to Sony that a new iteration of its PSP console is currently in the works. The device is a successor rather than a redesign of the current system; recent rumors have suggested that Sony is also working on a redesigned PSP. It is not clear if the two rumors are in fact speaking about the same project, but this new report definitely refers to a brand new system. It will have built in hard drive support from the beginning, and will not be using the UMD media format, either for games or for other content. This makes sense, since the PSP is the only device that uses UMDs, and since UMD movie sales have been falling lately, there is little reason for Sony to stick with the format. However, it does appear to rule out the possibility of backwards compatibility. It is unknown what format will be used in its stead. The device, which the source referred to only as "PSP 2," is currently in development, and may appear some time "in the next three years."

Nvidia recently announced that it has a new design contract with Sony, one which will apparently pay more than the company received for its work on the PlayStation 3's GPU. It seems fairly likely that the contract in question refers to this PSP successor, given Sony's history of working with Nvidia on game console technology.

When contacted for comment, SCEA representative Paul Murphy said, "As you know, SCEA does not comment on rumors or speculation."

chaos-is-me
April 7th, 2006, 23:46
At least they are waiting a little while til the inevitable redesign of the PSP. Unlike Nintendo. As soon as i got my DS the DS Lite comes out. Buggers.

Gamer8174
April 8th, 2006, 00:11
A new PSP is good, but is everyone willing to dish out money for yet another psp? I know im not because I plan on maybe getting a PS3 and buying a higher priced PSP along with that is going to be to much $. Heh maybe if Sony supported homebrew and even released tools to help I would think about it. ;)

Payk
April 8th, 2006, 00:24
There are more reasons why UMD i wouldnt recommand to sony.
It needs much more powersuplly then a cardrich and also is slower (especialy if u change a sektor which isnt near to current). So the programmers also had to take care where exactly the data should be on a umd. I am not shure if a HDD uses less power then umd. But UMD isnt good for handhelds. shure its small. But prices for hdds and for flashdevices are falling. So with each day that device could cost less. Hmhm but for their first handheld thei made a good job. But that loadingtimes are inaccaptable if u ask me. I have Prince of Persia and u all know that pink obisoft intro.. No joke just for that video it loads about 10-20 seconds. NDS wouldnt load more then one second. Shure that video on nds would be smaller but thats not that factor 1:20 (nds : psp)
So i hope they get that managed its the dead for a mobiledevice...

Doom edit
April 8th, 2006, 00:48
the problem with a new psp is it will be farrrrr harder to make homebrew, due to new extreme security codes, since they dont like emulators being made.

Chackan
April 8th, 2006, 02:13
Hope its bogus

sroon
April 8th, 2006, 18:59
the problem with a new psp is it will be farrrrr harder to make homebrew, due to new extreme security codes, since they dont like emulators being made.
Our fomus coders will probably find a way around this new security.

TheGreatMe
April 8th, 2006, 19:12
Our fomus coders will probably find a way around this new security.

Yeah, there are rumours about a bug in that new microphone that they will most likely build into the psp: just speak your whole code of the homebrew app you want on your psp, then save it as a eboot and there you go. You can't speak graphics into that microphone though.

benny blanco
April 8th, 2006, 21:44
Millions of dollars down the drain if they get rid of the use of umd... Stop producing movies maybe. Or if they really want to get technical about it, they would allow the use of umd in the ps3. Abandoning the project is ridiculous at most, DVD's really toppled the market after years of production, not a year or 2 years. Umd games would be kicked out as well, what if someones psp breaks, does that meen you have to replace all your old games along with a new system? I'm sorry but it doesn't seem logical. You have to lose to gain, for example, it costs $450 to create an xbox 360 value pack, but they sell it in the stores for $400. The core system, costs $225 to create, but it sells for $300. Lets face it, Sony said at E3 that they sold the PS1 for $300 at release, $300 for the PS2 at release, PS3 was promised to be sold for a close price of at least that, but now the PS3 price is gonna tower that of even Xbox360. If Sony was smart they would have included some way to put a UMD in the ps3, that at least would be a step in the right direction, since you cant plug your PSP into any TV without the use of some crappy video camera. They wonder why Umd sales are down. Get those crap-kicking designers to scrap the ideas for the psp2 and worry about savin your money from bein lost do to downed Umd sales. It's there own fault, damn if I was to organize for Sony, Macintosh would regret ever making the ipod and Bill Gates would be poor. The market seems to be falling out of Sony's hands and its pissin me off... :mad:

Demulish
April 8th, 2006, 23:47
Hmm well, I thought this was deja vu because I remember reading about the propsed redesign for a while now. I'm happy if PSP2 doesn't come out until 3 years from now as opposed to the rumoured Christmas 2006 release of the redesigned PSP. 4-5 years is a solid lifepsan for consoles (handheld or not). I'd like to at least get 4 solid years of use of my PSP (this thing isn't exactly cheap like a DS is). I don't mind if they redesign the PSP because chances are, the current model PSPs will ultimately prove to be the most user-friendly as far as homebrew is concerned (at least 1.5). But to be honest, I really think they could improve on the PSP's design. It's not exactly my ideal looking handheld...I think they can make a REALLY cool looking unit if they just put in a little more effort.

shenske37
April 9th, 2006, 05:31
my situation is that i have one psp(1.5) to play pretty much just homebrew on. i want to play newer games but there is now way i will ever update! i am actually intersted in getting another psp (after a few more paychecks) so i can play the newer games. i don't want two of the exact same system.
so i would welcome a redesign of the psp especially a flip up design.
this way i could have the best of both worlds 1 homebrew psp and 1 always updated psp.

Stew2000
April 9th, 2006, 10:02
Why can't people make a games console that we can upgrade like a PC?
you know, New Graphics card, CPU, MEMORY!, etc...

kcc86
April 9th, 2006, 21:05
Cause the companies won't make as much money that way. Maximum profit is their main goal.

Junior
April 9th, 2006, 22:03
Hardly a little more than a year has passed. No way I'd want that new PSP today. There was a promise that the PSP was supposed to have quite a long life, you remember?

IF there is going to be another PSP model, I strongly urge Sony to make a deal with all previous PSP owners to exchange their old PSP model and some cash for the new one.

Stew2000
April 10th, 2006, 09:39
Hardly a little more than a year has passed. No way I'd want that new PSP today. There was a promise that the PSP was supposed to have quite a long life, you remember?

IF there is going to be another PSP model, I strongly urge Sony to make a deal with all previous PSP owners to exchange their old PSP model and some cash for the new one.

Upgrade your PSP to V2.0 (not firmware) Click Here! (www.lol.com)

:D

RedKing14CA
April 10th, 2006, 10:27
These muffins are in an oven. One muffin looks at the other and says, "Hot enough for ya?"

The other muffin replies, "OH MY GOD a talking muffin!!"

AHAHAAHAHAAHHAHAA OMFG... I AM LITERALLY LAUGHING SO HARD ITS HARD TO TYPE OMFG...

FUNY>>>A AHAHHAHA

Stew2000
April 10th, 2006, 10:44
These muffins are in an oven. One muffin looks at the other and says, "Hot enough for ya?"

The other muffin replies, "OH MY GOD a talking muffin!!"

AHAHAAHAHAAHHAHAA OMFG... I AM LITERALLY LAUGHING SO HARD ITS HARD TO TYPE OMFG...

FUNY>>>A AHAHHAHA

rofl that's a funny one :D

RedKing14CA
April 10th, 2006, 10:46
so.. i think were the only ones int he forums.. im going to bed.. your alone..

RedKing14CA
April 10th, 2006, 10:48
* You see a handsome guy at a party. You go up to him and say, "I'm fantastic in bed."

That's direct marketing.

* You're at a party with a bunch of friends and see a handsome guy. One of your friends goes up to him and pointing at you, says, "She's fantastic in bed."

That's advertising.

* You see a handsome guy at a party. You go up to him and get his telephone number. The next day you call and say, "Hi, I'm fantastic in bed."

That's telemarketing.

* You're at a party and see a handsome guy. You get up and straighten your dress. You walk up to him and pour him a drink. You say, "May I," and reach up to straighten his tie, brushing your breast lightly against his arm, and then say, "By the way, I'm fantastic in bed."

That's public relations.

* You're at a party and see a handsome guy. He walks up to you and says, "I hear you're great in bed."

That's brand recognition.

* You're at a party and see a handsome guy. You talk him into going home with your friend.

That's a sales rep.

* Your friend can't satisfy him so he calls you.

That's tech support.

* You're on your way to a party when you realize that there could be handsome men in all these houses you're passing. So you climb onto the roof of one situated towards the center and shout at the top of your lungs, "I'm fantastic in bed!"

That's spam.

* You are at a party, this well-built man walks up to you and gropes your breast and grabs your bum.

That's Arnold Schwarzenegger!

* YOU LIKED IT! BUT 20 YEARS LATER YOUR ATTORNEY DECIDES YOU WERE OFFENDED.

THAT'S CALIFORNIA!

AHAAHAHAHHAAHHAHAH the end made it funny... the end... all else was only a little funny.. but the end.. AHAHHAHA

RedKing14CA
April 10th, 2006, 10:50
HAHAHAHHAHAHAH thats how my teachers are

What's the difference between a teacher and a train? A teacher says "spit your gum out" and a train says "choo choo!!"