PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #1)

wraggster
April 10th, 2006, 22:20
Many of you will know i used to have an Interview site (http://www.emuxbox.netfirms.com/) with Great Interviews with Coders from many Homebrew Scenes.

Well with that in mind, im going to try something unique and whilst it may fail :p it is something that ive never seen done before and thats a mass interview of all the members and thats 40,000 + members :D, whats going to happen is that ill ask maybe 10- 12 questions, one a day over a 2 week period to see who we are and what we love about emulation and homebrew.

So to start the ball rolling (remember never give personal info out unless you feel safe doing so) ill ask a question and answer it myself then its over to you the members of the only Console Homebrew Network in the world.

Question #1 - Can you tell us about yourself, where you're from, and about your job, school, etc?

(yes easy one to start but it lets people know about you)

Well im the webmaster of a group of sites now totalling 18 (mad git), ive been a fan and more of emulation and homebrew since at least 1997.

I am from the city of Nottingham in the UK, famous for Robin Hood, Torvill and Dean and Nottingham Forest and sadly Gun Crime capital of the UK (it seems that way anyway).

Went to school at 2 sites in probably the roughest part of the city but on the whole enjoyed school but was glad to be rid of it :D.

For my job ive been a Gardener on an award winning park for nearon 18 years (i am 34 btw) and whilst i enjoy my job i cant see me doing it for years to come.

So thats my answers, feel free to join in this experiment of a mass interview on the DCEmu Network, answer via the comments.

felonyr301
April 10th, 2006, 22:44
uhm what type of major did you go for im just asking curious you know.... ( in the process of picking a major now in college lol)

felonyr301
April 10th, 2006, 22:51
Question #1 - Can you tell us about yourself, where you're from, and about your job, school, etc?
Well im just a student going to college soon very soon lol and still deciding what to do specifically.Im from New York City, Bronx if anyone want to know.About a job ill get back to that lol, and uhm im a gamer obviously and i love the homebrew community well basically the psp community.Im 18 and still wondering what to do in my life and besides gaming i love cars know alot about them and in the modifying craze. I guess i love anything to do with modifying a certain thing.Well thats it i guess im too young to say alot of things about me anyways lol.

bullhead
April 10th, 2006, 22:56
Fan of homebrew since jan this year so im fairly new to the scene. Born and grew up in belfast in northern ireland. In my last year of a secondary school full of clever and pretty people who are entirely comfortable in their own skin. Cant wait to leave and start my accounting course at queens university.
18 ears hold. Dying for a leak..
love music. would die without a bit of dylan, morrissey, strokes, iron and wine, (among others)

Shemp
April 10th, 2006, 23:12
29 years old. Born in Oregon, currently living in Arizona--for my buds across the pond, those are both in the USA. :-)

Educated with a major in English Literature, minor in History. Currently working as a lead in the tech support department of a large corporation, and putting the finishing touches on my first cookbook (I spend about 10-12 hours a week in the kitchen).

Been casually into emulation since the days of NESticle, bought my PSP off of eBay on a lark whilst half pissed. 1.50, though, and don't regret it. Rarely ever play the two games I own: Untold Legends and Metal Gear Acid. For me, it's all about movies and emu.

Word.

HeX
April 11th, 2006, 00:06
Can you tell us about yourself, where you're from, and about your job, school, etc?

My names Josh. I live in Oregon, a state on the west side of the US. Im in high school still. I work for Phoenix Hosting as a website developer.

chaos-is-me
April 11th, 2006, 00:12
I'm Zen. I live in Norwich, UK. I play in a few bands and enjoy loud noisey music. I got into homebrew about 2 months ago when I found this website and have been loving it ever since.

Musoka_Eimin
April 11th, 2006, 01:04
Hey hey, I'm 25 I live in the U.S.A... sigh lol. In state of New MeXico (western USA), in the middle of the desert at the base of a mountain. I bounce back and forth between tech support, cooking, and waiting tables (currently waiting tables again) I had gone to (community) college a few years ago for Anthropology, but have decided in the last six months to go back and get a degree in Computer Technologies with emphasis in computer programming, motivated in part by all of this. So hopefully at some point I can make a contribution to our beloved homebrew scene. Been comin here to Wraggys site (which I may add I think is the best all around homebrew/news site! Thanks Wrag!!) for a long time now and just recently signed up (sigh lol). I hope to graduate and find a job working on video games professionally, as computers and vid games in particular have long been a passion to me. I am also learning Japanese to help me get into the field, my dream (like many others I'm sure) is to go to work for Square-EniX. I would love to visit Japan and backpack Europe, and thats pretty much that.

felonyr301
April 11th, 2006, 01:11
to musoka i have similiar interests in some way but is a computer science degree is a good way to go for me ... help me im so confused dont want to be changing majors to find the one ive been looking for... and yes i willing to learn japanese too because of alot of things...wish you good luck Musoka on that but anybody help me on my quest to picking lol..

Datahax
April 11th, 2006, 01:14
I'm 16, living in Northern Maine (it's that stupid state way up in the righthand corner of the US....no we're not part of canada)

It's cold as hell all winter and I hate it, I live out in the middle of nowhere in the country, too far from towns in any direction to get DSL, Cable or other high speed internet so I'm stuck with wireless (at least it's better than dialup)

I'm in 10th grade, an aspiring computer programmer. Very interested in emulation and rom hacking. School seems utterly pointless and boring for me and the only foreign language class offered is French....which pisses me off.

That's about it.

RedKing14CA
April 11th, 2006, 01:41
I am a white male, agr 15, height 6 feet 1.5 inches, slender, with blue eyes, dark blonde hair...i wear glasses... i dress in all black, baggy pants... i love the PSP.. best console ever, but for home gaming i would rather have a PC... I am very interested in computers and want to learn all i can. i am currently attending highschool, i am a freshman. I have a girl that i love, we've been together for almost a year now, and we are planning on marrying and going to college together, despite teenagers who have failed to stick with their plan in the past, i feel we can succeed. I live in northern California just 2 or three hours away from the coast. the climate is nice, however the state laws SUCK!

thats all... i guess... for that question...

andrewgabriel77
April 11th, 2006, 01:42
Hey, I'm Drew. I'm 29, married, have 3 kids ages 3, 4 and 9, I'm a truck driver and live in Indiana, USA. Been watching the homebrew scene since I got my psp last July and a gamer since forever.

chickenclaws
April 11th, 2006, 01:59
hi my name is kyle jardine, im 15 years old and have been modding computers ps2's and other consoles for about 3 years. i live in brantford ontario and go to BCI Highschool. i also partake in skatboarding which i am quite good at (not to brag), im at the top of all my classes and popularity my average is about 89% give or take

RCON
April 11th, 2006, 02:40
I just turned 31. Live in Southern California. Drove a tank (M1A1) in the Army for a few years. Worked at a video game company called Interplay. Currently working in the Health industry as a IT operations supervisor and Systems Administrator. I got into emulators way back when mame supported a hundred or so games (97 or 98?).

I didn't go to college but I have taken more technical classes than I can count over the years. I like strength training and love to deadlift and squat.

I got into the PSP scene because the PSP had such great technical specs and I knew eventually it would be hackable and homebrew would be possible. I taught myself how to script in Perl and then learned how to code C so I could start programming my own homebrew application PSP Rhythm.

JoshM248
April 11th, 2006, 02:54
I'm 18, Turning 19 in June. Brown hair, Brown eyes, 6'1", with a size 14(mens) shoe. :D I'm from Mt. Holly, North Carolina. I don't have a job yet. But I have a job waiting for me at Geek Squad at Best buy after highschool. I go to East Gaston High School (http://www.gaston.k12.nc.us/schools/eastgaston/) Home of the Warriors! :cool:

vettacossx
April 11th, 2006, 03:02
I BUILD COMPUTERS AND PLAY WITH MY PSP ITS ATTACHED LIKE A MOLEY MOLE MOLE MOLE...I also help others with getting started!!! enjoying there homebrew experiense by keeping in mind we all where new at one time! so i love getting a mail from someone that has never got to play homebrew its rewarding and all i ever ask is that they come sighn up here at DCEMU the most reliable source for psp news...i know how busy the big guys are so every lil bit of your experiances you share ...is a small load of the backs of people who could be addressing "the bigger issues" so dont condemn the newbies embrace and humer them! i love this community its a second home! the only dumb question....is one not asked

Damian666
April 11th, 2006, 03:03
Well, I'm 16 years old,live in a little town known as Gorham, been a big fan of homebrew ever since I've joined this dev site. Now I'm graduating from high school next year, even though I may still be a sophomore, I'm pretty advanced in the school I go at. I love the PSP and take special pride in what I can do with it. My friends become jealous of me because, I have pretty much all of the emulators(the best of the best) on my PSP. I own at least 35 PSP games, a 4GB hardrive, 2 Gb memory sticks, and one of the X2 life batteries. As you csn see, I spend most of my money on this contraption of a handheld.

wowfan
April 11th, 2006, 04:05
So what do you do as a job Wraggster? I saw you were an award winning gardener which is awesome! You said you cant see yourself doing that forever, so I was wondering if you still do that, or are you now working full time as a website admin living off of the advertisement revenue?

And to all of those who say they hate the usa, try opening your mind (and life) and go live somewhere outside of the usa for awhile. When you constantly see people sleeping on a concrete bed, 5 year olds asking you for money, people digging through your trash for food or things to recycle... THEN you explain how bad you have it living in the USA with your "evil" parents that won't let you stay out too late, won't let you go to a party etc. All the meantime in your own (non-shared) bedroom, in a cushy bed with air conditioning (which is a luxury). I find it so funny how the average ignorant will downplay the greatest country in the world because they haven't even seen the world. But eh, as they say, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Musoka_Eimin
April 11th, 2006, 05:11
yo felony PM'd you with the (limited) advice I can offer

Kaiser
April 11th, 2006, 05:31
I'm 16 turning 17 this september. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and work at Toys R Us (which is pretty cool for a part time job). I have a sweet silver first gen RX-7 which I worked the summer for. I also have a sweet girlfriend who is way to pretty to be going out with a shlub like me. I've been interested in homebrew ever since I discovered emulators for other systems could run on my modded PS2. I then signed up onto these forums the day that Kxploit came out just so i could compliment Sougen's sweet Genesis emulator. I later ended up staying on as a regular because I loved the people here.

vichhaykhiev
April 11th, 2006, 08:03
wow!!!! i live in usa ,virginia (woodbridge), im from cambodia. i speak 2 languages (khmer and english) im 15 years old. high school student. average in class 4.0 straight A the whole damn years. income $250 a month enough to keep track with new generation stuff. start using psp and play homebrew since it comed out the first month. psp is my best friend. i love it more than my girl friend. i use it , i play it , i watch it, i listen to it, i love it, i hate it, i dream about it. that all for my lovely (half white and half black psp) . right now my life is waiting for psp 3.0 or either 2.6 >> 1.0 downgrader. thats it that all my life for every day [email protected]

shadowprophet
April 11th, 2006, 12:07
Hmm

Id really like to tell people what im all about,
But the agency sais Id have to use the the flashy thingy to erase all your memories If I did.

So here goes.

It all started when(*CLICK*)

And thats my story:D

bullhead
April 11th, 2006, 13:52
Shadowprophet, please turn that flashy thing off. I cant read what you have typed. What happens after the click!

shadowprophet
April 11th, 2006, 14:00
Shadowprophet, please turn that flashy thing off. I cant read what you have typed. What happens after the click!

:p (*CLICK*):p

bullhead
April 11th, 2006, 14:25
Hissssssssssss! Growl! purrrrr...

Apoklepz
April 11th, 2006, 17:26
Greetings from the abyss!

My real Name is Pablo J. Miranda, married, 27 years old & living in Cutler Ridge, Florida. I'm originally from a town called Río Piedras(River Stones in english...makes it sound like something out of an RPG game) in Puerto Rico.

I've been living in the United States for about 3 years now, while pursuing happiness, a career in Computer Art, Graphics & Animation and trying to fulfill my talents by bringing back a huge old-school game on the PSP
(*hint* whips & vampires).

I work as a Mailroom Clerk for Lexmark (the printer people) International Inc. of Latin America & they pay me enough to keep me, my wife & little girl happy...But once I get my bachelor's degree I'm outie heeeeeeeerrre.

I really enjoy Good Art, Drawing & Painting for love & money, Obscure Comic Books, Music & Movies, Basketball, Go-Kart racing, Good Friends & Company & a whole lot of gaming....They'll probably have to cremate my console's along with me when I die, so I don't get bored in heaven.

...One more thing, I really, really loooooove the people in the forums here, they do know how to keep things going & make it happen. Cheers!

zx-81
April 11th, 2006, 18:38

My real name is Ludo, married, 35 years old, with a little child. I live in France close to Paris.

I bought a PSP only 2 months ago (that's why i'm 2.5 FW :( ) and i like to develop homebrew :).

In the "real" life, i'm working on EDA software development (Electronic Design Automation) for the semiconductor industry.

:D

Hawq
April 11th, 2006, 19:20
An intriguing idea, lets give it a shot & hope no-one falls into a coma reading my entry, yes my history is rather dull so you have been warned.

I'm Paul a guy of 29 (but feeling much much older due to various bits of life) from the land of cheese where Bentleys are built & where many many trains used to be built as well (or Crewe as those unfamiliar with luxery cars & rail history know it), not that bad a town or at least it wasnt before it started to fill with students & other undesirables (note this is down to having had a lot of noisy students living next door to me in the past, I'm sure some students are nice people I just havent met many that are so any that are reading this its not personal). I'm about as far from a people person as you can get without living in a cave somewhere in the real world, fortunatly on the interwub its a differant matter, though I do resemble a wild man hermit at the moment as my winter plumage is still on my head & has been since a wedding last july this is not unusual.

Hmm thats the first two bits down job & school next eh? ok then

I'm unemployed but do news for EmuHQ in my spare time, which I have a lot of, some readers may know my news from emuhelp or vgn back when I was at those sites along with consolevision & the other dcemulation, EmuHQ has me these days though, I'm not gonna plug it here though as thats not what this is for.

School stuff next then & it was fairly dull & like most people I was bored out of my skull for most of it, though playing the games on the BBC Micro's & later the Archimedes when I was meant to be learning was nice, when it was finally over (a few years after which I found someone ina shop who id'd me from an almost urban legend type of thing about my school days) I went off to do some training as an engineer for a few years, then moved to college to do agriculteral engineering (drunk tractor racing is fun by the way, just try not to get caught fortunatly I never was) the whole college thing was a mixture of drinking, fixing stuff, tractor driving/racing & one engine exploding which was an amusing day.

That could do for now I reckon as I gotta hold some stuff back for whatever the next question is & that etc.. is very vague.

quzar
April 11th, 2006, 19:41
Greetings from the abyss!

My real Name is Pablo J. Miranda, married, 27 years old & living in Cutler Ridge, Florida.

I live like 10 minutes north of you (unless there is an actual city called cutler ridge and not the town in the outskirts of miami).

cloud_952
April 11th, 2006, 20:59
I'm 20, living in the "lovely" Arizona, USA. Hot, dry.. gah. Nice enough, unless it's in the summer.

Anyway, I've been coming here since June or so of last year, shorly after I learned about the memory card swap trick, and immediately went out to go get another memory card so I could start running some good, old-fashioned NES and SNES games. I've been playing games since I had an Atari in my house at around age 3-4, then through the NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.. I'm sure everyone else knows the story.

As for personal life, I'm a university student, studying East Asian Studies (focused on Japanese history). I may minor in Chinese history.. but, I'll deal with that later. Japan has always been a strong interest of mine, since I was 10-11, so I decided to go into the field, though comp-sci is a hobby of mine. I'm finishing off my second year of Japanese now, and will be taking about 2 more, so.. it's kinda grueling. But, I enjoy Japanese alot, and it really is helpful to know (if you like the things that come from the country, or go there).

That's about it. o_O Oh.. and I joined the forum only recently because I felt compelled to correct someone on some incorrect information. And then I kinda stuck around.

toto
April 12th, 2006, 16:10
I'm a french guy from Grenoble (South-East of France in the mountains...)
i'll be 21 in one week exactly and i'm studying Computer Engineering.
I did "homebrew" for my calculator (TI V200), I brought a GP32 (korean handheld famous for homebrew and emulation stuff) and then i moved to PSP scene (PSP=crazy hardware=crazy homebrew). I love video games, emulation, mangas...
And i need to find a training course of 2 months, in the computer field, in the USA to become perfectly bilingual.

Timale-Kun
April 13th, 2006, 00:43
I'm Timale-kun (french pronunciation and it means kid-kun, Anime's fan will understand what "kun" means^^. fan of japan btw), I'm a French guy, I'm 21, and living near Paris (subburbs), and huge fan of homebrew since september the 1st (waiting 'till october to enjoy homebrew^^), I quit study, so i'm looking for a job right now, but i'm currently working in a french website wich doing the same as psp-news.dcemu.co.uk, so PSP and Homebrew Scene news...