PDA

View Full Version : Study: Videogames Make You Pregnant

wraggster
April 11th, 2006, 11:45
Source CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=137080)

It's a fact! Play too many violent videogames and colonel sausage will be shooting sticky white ammunition without the protection of his magic tin hat all over town. That's according to a study published in US journal The Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, which concluded that gaming nasties foster "permissive attitudes toward violence, alcohol use, marijuana use, and sexual activity without condom use".
Which sounds like a pretty run-on-the-mill Friday night to us. However, the study, conducted by researchers in San Francisco and Pittsburgh, and entitled "Effects of Media Violence on Health-Related Outcomes Among Young Men", used 100 males aged between 18 and 21, randomly assigning them to play either Grand Theft Auto III or The Simpsons: Hit and Run (which is, frankly, just mean).

It seems that those participants forced to bathe in the unholy perversions of GTA III "exhibited greater increases in diastolic blood pressure from a baseline rest period to game play, greater negative affect, more permissive attitudes toward using alcohol and marijuana, and more uncooperative behavior in comparison with men randomly assigned to play The Simpsons". Although the scientific methodology is unclear, we'd like to imagine it involved surreptitiously sidling up to participants mid-game and whispering "I could really do with a spliff and a beer right now - how about you?".
Anyway, the report reached the conclusion that "although youth growing up in violent homes and communities may become more physiologically aroused by media violence exposure, all youth appear to be at risk for potentially negative outcomes."

Interestingly, the wholly conclusive findings of this report have made us so angry at game developers, we're off to go punch someone in the face. Next up: "Effects of Academic Studies concerning Media Violence on Health-Related Outcomes Among Young Men".

zackforbing
April 11th, 2006, 12:34
see, I used to be a psychology major. and the one thing they BUST INTO YOUR HEAD is that CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSALITY. it's equally possible that smoking and drinking causes you to like GTA, as it is that liking GTA causes you to smoke and drink.

the bottom line is that they only proved CORRELATION, not CAUSATION.

flytalker
April 11th, 2006, 13:32
Its so true! SO TRUE!!!

stotheamuel
April 11th, 2006, 14:20
no wonder im pregnant now!

Too much gta.

grin.ch
April 11th, 2006, 16:01
I think the whole idea behind blaming violence on video games is the parents of these children who commit random acts of violence have to find a scapecoat to cover up their poor parenting habits. If video games make you do things or make you more susceptible to condoning acts or ideas you would have previously chosen to do without, you're entirely too weak and you need help anyway. I don't think video games have a lot to do with it. and as zackforbing stated, this study is not a direct link to video games as the cause of violence.

jman420
April 11th, 2006, 19:01
it was an imaculate.. convection, oven, and it done got a bun in it!

no but seriously, first thing I thought when I read this news thing was.. eww! I know it could be true and all, but why make such inuendo about semen.. seems a little odd..

idapimp
April 11th, 2006, 23:56
lmao...wtf...stupid people and their stupid studies. people could be finding cures for shit or building colonies elsewhere and they choose to spend money studying about dumbass crap.