PDA

View Full Version : NesterDC SE Hacking !!!

cmstar
April 11th, 2006, 18:39
I think we can all agree that NesterDC SE is an AWESOME emulator. It obviously took a lot of effort and dedication.

That being said, there are several small things I (and others) feel could be made better. My personal gripe is the database. It's a great idea and implementation to automatically download all the extra bits for you. But it doesn't leave flexibility for games not in the database.

I've been hacking around with NesterDC. You can manually burn the files created in the pre-cd or temp directories and this work. You can replace the 000x.zip rom files with your own roms (after you rename them to match) and this will work.

What'd I'd really like to see is to make this more like MAME put supermario.zip in roms, supermario.png in screenshots etc. all manually without the need of the database.

This is all actually part of the menu system not the emulator itself. The menu is controlled by the xxxx.js files. If we modify these or rewrite them we should be able to have flexibility without the database.

I've already modified the main2.js file to allow me to use both the SE menu, or use the old plain directory rom browser.

I just wanted to point this out so maybe we could start a small NesterDC SE hack thread with the best hacks etc.

My next project is to get rid of the whole rotating animated characters thing during start up. Looks nice and all, but that's just making me wait even longer before playing.

Any other hacks you've made?

roms
April 19th, 2006, 16:09
um welll this is off the subject i need a lil help with my nesterdc se when i make my disk and it loads up there are no games in the library can u tell me what file to add my roms 2 ????

cmstar
April 20th, 2006, 16:41
Unless you have manually edited the *.js files, you'll have to use the Windows tool included with NesterDC SE to make your disc. I can't really help otherwise.

I've been hacking the menu system to use the old style directory system and read all the extra stuff from individual directories instead of the database file.

Christuserloeser
May 8th, 2006, 11:24
The menu is controlled by the xxxx.js files. If we modify these or rewrite them we should be able to have flexibility without the database.

I've already modified the main2.js file to allow me to use both the SE menu, or use the old plain directory rom browser.

I actually thought about doing this myself, but since I am sort on time: Could you share your main2.js file with us ? You can attach smaller ZIP files to your posts.

Btw, something I'd love to see would be a modification of the NSF player so it'd allow free browsing of all your NSFs.

I will give that a try as soon as I got a free minute.

RobertHMayfire
May 8th, 2006, 18:55
Personally I like to see this edited so people can add games, game genie codes, nsfs, etc of their own without having to resort to modifying the game zip files. So we don't have to depend on a database that won't be there forever.

The game genie I am most interested since I have seen better codes out there.

cmstar
May 10th, 2006, 02:18
I've been a bit busy. But I am working on this in my spare time. When I get a little more done I'll share the files here with everyone.