PDA

View Full Version : What to do when Wii SD slot not working

snapper245
July 11th, 2009, 04:51
The SD slot on a WiiKey2-modded Wii is no longer working. The Wii has 3.2u with homebrew channel on it. Wii is connected to the network.
Some questions follow. your answers very much appreciated

(1) Will wiiload allow the USB loader to be sent to the Wii, and load games of external HD (like it did when the SD slot wasn't toast?

(2) even though allow no updates is set for the WiiKey2, is it possible that the SD not working was a result of a game (in particular Guitar Hero World Tour)? It all happened after playing Guitar Hero WT for the first time. Not sure if coincidence, or if kids just stuck the SD card in backwards or hosed up the SD slot some other way....

(3) is it possible to buy a new Wii, and just use the DVD drive from the old one, modchip and all? I'd assume the standard ways to get Homebrew Channel on it would work, and am only asking if the DVD drives can be swapped like that....

(4) any other ideas? I'm all for taking apart the Wii to look at the SD slot. I'm just looking for a backup plan incase it doesn't go back together again.

Of course I verified the 3 SD cards work just fine in computers. and had worked fine in the Wii until the problems started. I also inspected the SD cards for any scratches to help me isolate what the issue was, but to no avail.

I've peeked inside the SD slot with a flashlight and a jeweler's loop. All looks OK as far as the pins.

I'm completely at a loss, very upset, and in need of the expert help and advice found only at DCemu. thanks in advance.

VampDude
July 11th, 2009, 14:25
(3) is it possible to buy a new Wii, and just use the DVD drive from the old one, modchip and all? I'd assume the standard ways to get Homebrew Channel on it would work, and am only asking if the DVD drives can be swapped like that....

It is possible for the DVD drive (if buying a faulty Wii), though you would have to use the entire motherboard from the new/faulty Wii for the SD slot... Though I'm unsure of the modchip, because I believe that to be soldered to the motherboard itself.

But with homebrew, you don't really need a modchip.

The SD slot is soldered onto the Wii motherboard

http://www.informit.com/content/images/art_fogie_insidewii/elementLinks/wiifig17.jpg

snapper245
July 11th, 2009, 22:31
Though I'm unsure of the modchip, because I believe that to be soldered to the motherboard itself.

thanks. The chip, is actually on the DVD drive, that's why I asked if it was possible to use my old (modded) DVD drive in a new Wii, instead of the DVD drive in the new one...

VampDude
July 12th, 2009, 00:52
It should be possible.