PDA

View Full Version : Average age of the coder?

Dull Blade
April 14th, 2006, 02:02
This being my 2nd post of the day. I was wondering what the average age of the DC coder is? I am 16 now I want to know if I just suck at coding, or if every one else is just older and has a better understanding.

Darksaviour69
April 14th, 2006, 02:45
well, quzar is 19 and he started coding for the dc when he was 17.

Gamer8174
April 14th, 2006, 02:56
I'm 14 and already pretty good with java and im looking at VB right now. In 2 or 3 years I might be going into my brother-in-laws buisness making website programs and such. Alot of the 'expert' coders you see have probably been taking classes in high school/college. Or sometimes there just self-taught, but that is probably the hardest/slowest and less effective way of learning. If your not able to take classes, try to find someone you know that is decent at coding and try to snatch a few hints from them. Thats what i've been doing :p From what i've heard it takes much time to have the feel of coding in whatever language your into. People like PSmonkey probably have a natural feel for it. You dont 'suck' you just havent messed around enough to start making some small and maybe useful programs. I often look through the sources of sucessful programs and try to figure the function of each of the lines of code. See if you can take pre-ap computer science in high school or something.

quzar
April 14th, 2006, 06:11
well, quzar is 19 and he started coding for the dc when he was 17.

Bluecrab is 18 and started when he was 15 or something like that (i know he's a year younger than me and started about or over a year before me).

Then again GPF just turned 34? (sorry if that's wrong) Ian Micheal was in his late 20's early 30's or something. Black Aura just finished college so he's 22 or 23.

Also, Gamerwhatever that posted above me. I've taken a lot of CS classes and am majoring in it, but I have never taken a class in low level C, which is how I do what I do for the Dreamcast. Console/embedded coding is much different from general coding, it's much easier to learn the APIs first and the actual coding later, especially when it comes to ports.

Dull Blade
April 14th, 2006, 06:29
well can any one point me to some coding tutorials for the DC, I have some Visual Basic skills. Who knows perhaps in a few months or so I could be homebrewing some games nothing fancy though, perhaps my take on pac man or eventually the goal of my dreams a newer genesis emu (in a few years from now)