PDA

View Full Version : Psp Doom Multiplayer Code

StealthCP
April 14th, 2006, 23:18
Got your attention.

I would like to see this integrated, if I could program I would be working on this right now. Using the netcode from serial cable games you should be able to get adhoc multiplayer running. On a similar topic ZDaemon would be worthwhile porting to PSP, as recent versions have unlagged netcode, and is quite optimized so lag won't be a problem. ZDaemon also supports newer map formats like hexen and as it uses an older version of ZDoom for base it runs on slower machines perfectly. It should be easier to port to the PSP because of this. The most recent versions do not have Linux support, due mainly to being closed-source now. If we can make a sucessful port using 1.06 code they may integrate the newer code into it.

Anyone else got any bright ideas? The easiest solution for Doom Deathmatch is the serial code option, unless someone knows that the IPX code would be easier.

despoteuodia
April 27th, 2006, 22:43
ipx code is old dos/win95 stuff tcp/ip is newer and more widely used i dont believe the psp has ipx protocols, i also think that the wifi uses tcp/ip so using direct cable conection would not work, you would need tcp/ip coding i think, im not a programmer yet. ive only coded single player games that are somewhat okay, i will take classes on c++ programming next year though. even though i am an amature programmer only, i still know a little what i am talking about. i will ask my friend jacob, he knows EVERY THING about doom. and he is creating his own port on the pc using open gl. it is cool beans!!!
ps. direct cable contection is serial and can be used on lpt ports. im not quite sure how the psp is built but i think it is using usb or pci for the wifi equipment.

robotdevil
April 28th, 2006, 00:04
USB=universal SERIAL bus. But it won't work. TCP/IP is NOT a good protocol for gaming, UDP would be better. WiFi is a frequency standard, not a protocol. Every protocol is software controlled, TCP/IP, UDP, even IPX/SPX. No, I'm no programmer, I'm a network admin. TCP/IP is an easy protocol, it's built into most ethernet connections (yes, WiFi is just wireless ethernet), however, when you're running homebrew you don't usually have access to the networking code in the PSP. Also, TCP/IP senses dropped packets, so it has the potential to add HUGE amounts of lag (i.e. you send a packet as someone starts a microwave, next thing you know you're 3 steps back because TCP protocol resent that packet and everything after that got discarded). UDP is a much better way to go (i.e. VoIP is UDP, if a packet is dropped it's just left for dead and everything else continues) for gaming. Every online game uses UDP as it's protocol for this reason. And there's no way to establish a direct serial link over wifi ethernet, the best you could do is an adhoc network.