PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Moonshell

KG87
July 15th, 2009, 01:47
Good evening DCEMU!

I've a quick query. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to moonshell. but wondered if it was possible to modify the menus.

I work for a small company where a few select people have been issued NDS's. I've currently ordered 8 R4DS Carts. presumably they will eventually have moonshell on them.

I was wondering if it was possible to limit the software so that it will only play video. (i understand the conversion process). IE, so there is only the media selection button on the main page.

Im not totally naive to the point i think i'll need to do some programming, but baby steps etc.

Is this possible to do?
Are there any readily available tools to do what i require
could someone point me in the right direction?!

Thanks in advance!

BibleMan
July 17th, 2009, 09:03
Are you talking about Moonshell or Moonshell 2? I'll assume Moonshell for now, since that's what you said, but if you were talking MS2, it would make more sense.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with MS. The way it works is from the main menu, you select which folder you "media file" is in, and then select the file. It will play any file, assuming it's MS compatible.

Now you're asking if there's a way to keep it from playing music? I have no idea why you'd want to do that. From what I've heard, it's not easy for people to mess around with MS.

KG87
July 20th, 2009, 14:05
Yup, I am refering to Moonshell2. Basically, I want to lock the DS down to being able to play just one video. But, Thinking outside the box, i think i may just be able to set file permissions on the SD card itself, so it can only be modified by a certain user (ie Me). but being able to streamline moonshell would be great. Especially if the file permission idea fell flat on its face!

DanTheManMS
July 21st, 2009, 00:45
Just one video? Try the very first release of Tuna-viDS, which only supports a single .avi file named "tuna-vids.avi" and find a way to make your card auto-boot the "tuna-vids.nds" file (I think with the R4, naming it "bootme.nds" will work). While this means your video will probably only have a maximum framerate of 12-13 fps (more if the video isn't using the whole 256x192 resolution), it would get the job done.

Alternatively, with Moonshell 2, you can look into the "hidepath.ini" file in the moonshl2 folder, which specifies directories for Moonshell to ignore in the file viewer. Perhaps if you specifically told it to ignore all folders on the card, and had only .dpg video files on the root of your card, and auto-booted Moonshell 2, you could get the same effect that you want.

KG87
July 21st, 2009, 00:58
DanTheManMS, thanks. It seems your getting close. So in theory, i could edit the "touch menu" only to show "video" and limit the shown directories only to the dpg's, I dont mind re skinning moonshell so it at least looks like there's only one option.

Totally off topic, but do you know if there is a way to run moonshell in No$GBA so i can see whats going on? this would make it 10x easier when editing?

ChaoticanarchyX
July 21st, 2009, 05:50
Why would you get a crummy R4??....... There are sooooooo many better options from a wide variety of cards out there. The only excuse you could even use is that the R4's are dirt cheap......

ChuckMcB
July 21st, 2009, 22:44
Just to add, there is a file called "hidepath.ini" in the 'moonshl2' folder, you could use that to hide all folders except the one with the .dpg file in it. Moonshell2 (http://www.ds-xtra.com/MoonShell2)