PDA

View Full Version : Hamsterburt Emulator Update

wraggster
April 16th, 2006, 23:25
Hamsterburt has posted some news concerning the development of the 3 emulators he has released namely the Genesis, Nes and Gameboy Colour Emulators plus an unknown project, heres what he posted today :

I have been very busy with my new job the last week or so but I have found a few hours this easter weekend to work on fceultra, pspadrive and the new gameboy emulator port. I am planning on doing new releases of all 3 of them in the next 2-3 weeks, depending on how much free time I get.

I also have been able to spend a few hours on another port project I am working on with another dev but thats all a bit of a secret at the moment.

Awesome stuff, keep your eye on his site HERE (http://hbert.dcemu.co.uk) and respond to this WIP news here --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106411#post106411

pkmaximum
April 16th, 2006, 23:37
I'm sorry I still don't see the point to what he is doing because we already have multiplayer on sega genesis and nes and they are nearly running at full speed. Game boy/color is running at full speed. The only thing we do need is gameboy with ad hoc support for games like pokemon :p but that is besides the point. I think it would make much more sense if somebody worked on making a game boy advanced emu with the source code that, that other kid left us. I say this because when someone picks that project up it seems like they just abandon it. Is game boy advanced really that difficult to emulate?

P.S. Not trying to offend any one I just don't see what the point of this is.

wraggster
April 16th, 2006, 23:41
GBA is very difficult as are all emulators, each emulator works in a slightly different way so that one is better for some games than another, eventually as a coder learns the system more then the emulator progresses, plus competition spurs others on which is great for us the end user.

Voltron
April 17th, 2006, 01:15
Yes, we should be encouraging this coder and not discouraging him. Thank you for the hard work and keep it up. The releases will be exciting.

PeterM
April 17th, 2006, 01:58
I suspect the main reason that there isn't a decent GBA emulator for PSP yet is that there aren't any ARM to MIPS dynamic recompilers out there.

The ARM is hard to emulate quickly, especially when interpreting. Embedded conditional per instruction, barrel shifter, no way to build a simple jump table, and so on. It basically adds up to lots of conditional logic, which kills performance.

Bummer.

Musoka_Eimin
April 17th, 2006, 03:53
keep up the good work hamster! By the way your NES emu is one the only ones I can get to play some of my roms so awesome job!

pkmaximum
April 17th, 2006, 18:19
Not trying to discourage and yes after wragsters comment I do understand what he is saying. I just thought a coder would be able to pick up the game boy advanced project since the source is just floating out there. Isnt' RIN open source too, I was just hoping we could improove emulators and not create new ones, if the old ones are almost perfect. We have to apply skill I thought to things that have yet to be accomplished like ad hoc mode on RIN playing pokemon on the PSP would be fun lol :p. But sincerley not trying to discourage him or offend in any way. So don't take what I said previously personal.