PDA

View Full Version : A few ideas

XDelusion
July 19th, 2009, 21:05
PrBOOM - Enhanced DOOM source port. Was ported by Bero, then neglected and never polished off, nor was pWAD support ever added in. I realize we have nxDOOM, but it has saving issues on levels that are too large, or have to many living enemies on them during save time. Also nxDOOM carries over the bugs and restrictions of classic DOOM which BOOM (the source port prboom is based on) resolved. On top of that PrBOOM brings many new features to the tables that classic DOOM was not capable of such as MBF support, conveyor belts, wind effects, ice effects, basic BEX support, etc.

Exult: Executable for Ultima VII. Perhaps one of the best RPG's ever created!!! Came in two parts.

Duke Nukem 3D

Shadow Warrior

Descent

Cave Story

ReMood: Doom source port based on old DOOM Legacy. This should be portable because Sonic Robo Blast 2 was ported which is also based upon the same DOOM Legacy source code.

I would provide links, but all games are easy to find via Google.

kadorna1
July 21st, 2009, 05:16
dunno about prboom, but vavoom is way better, it has opengl support (which dc has through kallistios)

and i swear i have seen an ultima port, but i can't remember which one.

XDelusion
July 22nd, 2009, 04:59
VaVoom is nice, but too resource intensive. It would never work.

Eric
July 23rd, 2009, 16:06
Cave Story i cant seem to be able to find a source code for that and i think Descent was not open sourced though i could be wrong. If i remember they had tried in the past to port that game but there was problems getting it to work. I think as of now that game would probably be easier to port and myself wouldnt mind seeing that game run on my Dreamcast. There isnt very many people dedicated to dreamcast homebrew anymore there is a couple from www.dreamcast.es that are doing Dreamcast homebrew and i'll ask them if there interested in doing those ports.

Eric
July 23rd, 2009, 16:17
Sorry Duke 3D requires to much ram and there for isnt portable and yes Descent was tried in the past but it went as far as the Demo Screen i believe. I think someone might think about doing some work on this project.

JLF65
July 23rd, 2009, 18:33
Cave Story is closed source. You'll need to have the author agree to do a port, or work with a DC dev willing to work on closed source.

PrBOOM+ would be the best port of Doom for the DC.

Duke3D shouldn't require too much ram... I'll look into it. I've worked on the PSP version of it.

XDelusion
July 23rd, 2009, 20:56
Duke 3D works on the Nintendo DS as does Descent, therefore they should have zero issues working on the Dreamcast. Quake runs after all... :)

As for Cave Story, yes the code has to be requested from the author and he is known to pass it on, which he has done for the PSP and the DS thus far.

As for the scene being dead, it's funny that, because apparently when there are votes on-line as to what the best homebrew console is, the DC always wins. I hope there is a revival on the way, cause that SD adaptor looks promising!

JLF65
July 25th, 2009, 01:27
No scene is ever truly dead - we even see the occasional release for things like the 2600. DC is not very active, but it's much more active than many other console scenes. I just got my DC, and I'm working on something to get acquainted with the system - half the fun there is that the KallistiOS web site is half down... couldn't get to the docs the last time I tried. I've been working from a combination of the examples and the source.

Darksaviour69
July 25th, 2009, 02:27
bero ported duke years ago, but only supported keyboard. The source was released but no-one can setup their environment the same way as him as so can not compile it

http://sdl-dc.sourceforge.net/

BlueCrab
July 25th, 2009, 02:29
couldn't get to the docs the last time I tried. I've been working from a combination of the examples and the source.There really haven't been any docs for KOS basically since its inception. The examples, source, and headers are basically the best that there is at the moment, and generally explain things pretty well...

XDelusion
July 25th, 2009, 17:56
Bero: The mere mention of the name brings me to tears... :)

That dude pulled off some amazing things, though as fate would have it, he lived in Japan (I think it was) and did not communicate with the scene very much so all his progress was lost. :/

Some days I wish I could code, but with all the hobbies I'm tied up in, it's no wonder I never took time to learn.

JLF65
July 25th, 2009, 21:23
There really haven't been any docs for KOS basically since its inception. The examples, source, and headers are basically the best that there is at the moment, and generally explain things pretty well...

Okay, thanks. Good to know I'm not missing anything. :)

Eric
August 3rd, 2009, 23:57
I never heard of you before until today at Dreamcast.es was wondering have you worked on anything before.

JLF65
August 4th, 2009, 01:25
Well, I'm better known for stuff I've done on the PSP... KeyCleaner, Basilisk II, Doom (DCDoom was just a conversion of the PSP version I did to help learn about the DC and kos and their dev tools), and a number of projects others did that I helped on or made improvements to (RoTT, Duke3D, Daedalus, and SNES9xTYL ME being the main ones).

I've been (and still am) working on a port of Wolf3D to the 32X. I'm working on some base SEGA CD 32X code so I can make a version that runs from the CD. Not everyone has a Genesis flash cart. After that, I'll be doing my own 32X version of Doom. It won't be based on the PSP/DC Doom code.

I will be doing some other things for the Dreamcast. Like I said, Doom was mainly for learning about the DC. I think I know enough about this platform now to do something better.

Eric
August 4th, 2009, 01:45
Thanks for the info yeah i knew i seen the name somewhere before lol just not in anything that had to do with Dreamcast before. I heard of your Wolfenstein 3D for 32x and if your thinking of bring it out on Sega CD i own one of them so i cant wait to see that. Hey its cool to see another person who wants to do somethings for Dreamcast there is 5-6 people doing it now. Dreamcast isnt dieing and i dont think it will for a very longtime there will always be someone interested in doing work on that machine.

JLF65
August 4th, 2009, 04:40
Yeah, I got a great deal on a Dreamcast, and after fooling around with it for a day, I just had to work on it. :)

XDelusion
August 4th, 2009, 17:52
Exciting news! :)