PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get GBC emulator on DS?

Kelron
August 6th, 2009, 18:08
Bet you get a lot of these threads, but a while spent googling and reading through forums hasn't been a lot of help.

I have some old GBC games I'd like to play on my DS (original model), mainly the 1st and 2nd gen Pokemons. There's an overwhelming number of different cartridges and memory card adapters that can probably do this, and a lot of the sites selling them don't look very trustworthy. One thing I have been able to work out is that Lameboy appears to be the best GBC emulator.

So can someone tell me what the best device to buy is, and a decent place to get it from? I also need to know if it comes with whatever's required to connect the device to the PC, and if not, what I will need to do so (SD card reader or whatever).

Thanks in advance

djshok
August 6th, 2009, 21:18
You will need a flash cart to put Lameboy and your GBC games on.

The best slot 1 flash cart is the Cyclo DS Evolution. It has the best compatibility with everything (ie: homebrew, emultors, moonshell, etc...) and has great support from the creators and the community that uses it: firmware updates, a user forum, etc...

Here check out their site, it should answer all your questions.

http://www.cyclopsds.com/cgi-bin/cyclods/engine.pl

I use Lameboy with my cyclo and it works great! I highly recommend it! :D

Kelron
August 7th, 2009, 00:36
That looks good, but it seems a little pricy compared to the R4DS and other similar carts. I read that there's a lot of cheap knock-off R4s around, but even buying from a site with a good reputation it seems I can get an R4 for £20-25, rather than £35 for the Cyclo. They have pretty much the same feature list, apart from the fancy packaging, does anything make the Cyclo worth the extra £10?

DanTheManMS
August 7th, 2009, 04:31
Ignore the R4 and anything with those two letters in the name. All are fakes or clones, and it's very difficult to know if the one you're getting is any good so it's better to just avoid them all.

If you want a cheap alternative to the CycloDS Evolution, look at the Acekard 2. It doesn't have real-time saving, but has most of the same features. The Supercard DS also has lots of features but is a bit harder to use, which is why most people pass over it.

djshok
August 7th, 2009, 19:33
The R4s are really hit and miss. If you're lucky you might get a good version that will do what you want it to. But there's a good chance you'll get a crappy one that's glichy and won't run the games that you want to play. Plus they basically have no support, once you buy the thing you're on your own, and if you want a firmware upgrade, forget it.

So ultimately you have to ask yourself, do you want to pay £20-25 for something that may or may not work, or may work and then break down, and then you'd have to pay another £20-25 to replace it (that's what happened to me), or would you rather pay the extra £10 and get something that's 99% likely do work and has a lot of support behind it.

I never tried an Acekard 2, so I can't say much about it.

IoriYagami123
August 12th, 2009, 14:28
actually, i've went to a rly good website- the link is below and i've bought off their website. it took a while to get here but when it id, it was awesome. their products do work, however, they are fakes but the act just like the real thing, i think u should take a look- http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.rumble%20pack

kojiro7
August 12th, 2009, 23:41
i have super r4i and it plays everything on my dsi
cheap and perfect

majix560
August 15th, 2009, 20:20
I know from experiance that the following site linked in this post is legit, and the card of good/high quality.

http://www.r4i.co.uk/

Though it's not saying much since I haven't had it very long, their R4 card has played every single rom I've tried, except one that I think wouldn't have worked on anything.

DanTheManMS
August 16th, 2009, 04:52
I still say it's a good idea to avoid the R4. There are too many fakes and clones out there to be sure that you're getting one of the decent ones.

BibleMan
August 16th, 2009, 21:28
Personally, I'd recommend the DSTT (also known as the TTDS). I was able to get mine for about 5$ online, and I've never had any problems with it. It's quite simply to use, not to mention that you don't have to DLDI patch anything, which quickly gets very confusing. The website is NDSTT.com

Penguinsfly1
September 2nd, 2009, 17:55
I have an Acekard 2i and everything seems to work fine. Except for moonshell, I have to use the 1.71 moonshell from the Acekard website for some reason. Moonshell 2.0 won't work :(