PDA

View Full Version : Porting

KillerMagnum
August 7th, 2009, 02:34
I've been messing around with the idea of porting a windows game to the PSP and so far I can't find anothing on why it would or would not be possible. I would imagine that an older game (or one with low graphic detail) would work on the psp but I havn't seen and ports of windows games. Now from what I do know all games that run nativly on windows would need one heck of a lot of code changed to get it to play on any other OS but would changing parts of the code be enough or would the entire game need to be recoded?

midnitdragoon
August 7th, 2009, 04:40
if you have the source code of the game then you can. For example, blizzard hasnt released nor will they ever release the source code of diablo 2. If they did, however, then you can put a heck of a lot of work to get it running on psp.

KillerMagnum
August 8th, 2009, 22:17
Alright so it might be possible however it is an online game (mmofpsrpg) so would that have any specific complications?

yaustar
August 9th, 2009, 02:33
Alright so it might be possible however it is an online game (mmofpsrpg) so would that have any specific complications?
Yes. There is no source available. No source = no port.

Deshevy
August 9th, 2009, 04:37
Hey someone should try to port Daggerfall im pretty sure the source code is available now as it is freeware

jxx2005
August 9th, 2009, 16:20
porting windows games to PSP
has been talked about alot
why can no one use the search function?

KillerMagnum
August 9th, 2009, 20:40
I can get the sourcecode (I know the owner of the game) but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to port. I'll pratice on the engine of the previous game (if i can get it). For starters The controls input would need to be changed and I'll have to mess with some wifi (I assmue). I'll try to find something else in the forums srry if this is a repeat topic in any way. Btw the game I'm trying to port is EndlessAges

EDIT-From what I've gathered porting to psp would require replacing all windows specific code with psp specific code and also maybe tweaking it a little so it can run at decent speed on the psp. I'm still looking for more info though. Also I'm not sure if daggerfall is open source or not but I'll keep looking at that.

EDIT2-I might start with Abuse - it looks like the psp could play it easily and I don't think anyones done that yet.