PDA

View Full Version : NPD: Outlook For PSP Movies On UMD 'Bleak'

wraggster
May 2nd, 2006, 17:58
News via Gamasutra (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9112)

According to a new report published by The NPD Group, the PlayStation Portable's (PSP) multi-functionality has played a key role in the sales and existing user satisfaction of the device. This report is based on an online survey sent to approximately 55,000 members of NPD's consumer panel, ages 6 to 44.

The report, PSP Functionality and Content Study, examines consumer ownership, usage and attitudes toward Sony PSP functions and content such as games, movies, TV and music, specifically addressing how the multi-functionality has been instrumental to the success of the PSP.

According to the report, while games and downloaded music files are the most popular types of content used by the average PSP user, nearly two-thirds own movie or TV content on Universal Media Discs (UMD), with more than two-fifths saying the ability to watch movies or television content on their PSPs were very important factors in their decision to purchase the device.

However, the report explores the purchase intent and purchase motivators for UMDs in great detail, finding that while one-third of PSP users who don't own UMDs said they are likely to purchase a UMD in the near future, they don't necessarily care about the format in which the content is provided. As retailers and movie studios alike continue to scale back on the number of UMD movies and TV shows they carry or release, the outlook for the UMD format is bleak, according to NPD.

''Success of the UMD format depends on several key factors, said Anita Frazier, industry analyst, The NPD Group. PSP users state the main barrier to purchasing UMDs is price, followed by the available movie/TV selection. If the right content was priced more competitively with DVDs, UMD sales may see a lift. Additionally, UMD sales may benefit if manufacturers and retailers focus on raising awareness and providing easier access.''

LazerTag
May 2nd, 2006, 19:00
If I had TV out ability built into the PSP I might even be tempted to buy some UMD movie titles. Without that ability I cannot fathom spending $22 US for the same movie I can get on DVD for $15

I hope for those whom like the UMD's that something is done for you, but otherwise I personally could care less about it.

just my 2 cents

nightshade
May 2nd, 2006, 19:48
yeah serves them right another friggin ripoff !

nightshade
May 2nd, 2006, 19:50
sorry for that reply but us in the UK are getting stuffed left right and center
when the PS3 comes out it will be another straight conversion $300 = £300 con

swepisodeii
May 2nd, 2006, 20:00
Umm... isn't this report a little out of date? I mean, I love how their big conclusion is that UMD movies are too expensive. And as far as low sales, they aren't predicting the future, they're recalling the past. "Hey look we're full of insight!" Nope.

Voltron
May 2nd, 2006, 20:33
Yeah, this has all been said & predicted before. Digital Video is the future for handheld devices. UMD is nice but not the same value as a DVD and therefore should be much less expensive. I own 1 UMD movie so far. And only foresee getting 1-2 more in the near future. So that is a 3 UMD library compared to my DVD library which extends into the hundreds.

And soon Blu-Ray & HD-DVD movies will be out. Too many formats is not cool. I don't need the same movie in 3-4 media types. Blu-Ray will be superior to DVD and still appears to be going to hit retail at under $30.00 USD <--> UMD is inferior to DVD but yet yields the same price or sometimes even a higher price. There is no way that UMD's can be that expensive to manufacture now that economy of scale has set in and the process streamlined.

::EDIT::
Had to edit this with a new cool idea. If Sony would incorporate wireless video streaming FROM the PSP so that UMD's can be watched and streamed, that would be a useful addition to the firmware. Not sure if this is technically possible but it would sell more UMD's.

mog
May 2nd, 2006, 20:46
lol. The only reason i'm not buying any umds is because i don't believe any of them actually work on my psp. If sony fixed that problem i would definitely buy some...

And nightshade; you're probably right... even though the conversion rate is 1.84 dollars to each pound, there are soo many straight conversions like that... most stuff in the UK seems to cost a higher amount in pounds than it would in dollars.
The psp was 200 quid in the UK when it was released... was it 370 dollars in the US?

If the ps3 will cost 300 quid in the UK, it should cost atleast 550 dollars in the US. :(

DraconumPB
May 3rd, 2006, 16:45
There should be more UMD/DVD bundles. Who the heck wants to buy a movie twice? But for $30 I can see buying a bundle..

mog
May 3rd, 2006, 21:54
yeah, they do the advent children bundle umd/dvd bundle now don't they... I wanna get that but im confused about what it contains?
amazon and other sites don't show pictures like whether they come in seperate cases? and whether the dvd that comes with it is the 2 disc edition?

but really, there isn't any point me getting the bundle because i wont be able to play the umd anyway...