PDA

View Full Version : Cogwheel v1.0.3.0 beta 3

wraggster
August 25th, 2009, 19:01
News via http://www.aep-emu.de/PNphpBB2-file-viewtopic-t-13244.html

Cogwheel is an emulator for various Sega 8-bit systems such as Sega Master System, Sega Game Gear and SG-1000. The ColeceVision is also emulated.

Quote:
I managed to break save states in the last build of Cogwheel (attempting to load a save state would fail, not being able to set a property). Iīve marked the offending read-only property with [StateNotSaved] and made the loader slightly more robust in Cogwheel 1.0.3.0 beta 3. Itīs beta 3, not 2, because I uploaded 2 and then noticed another issue - you couldnīt change the controller mappings! This is something that must have been broken for ages, but either nobody noticed or they just didnīt care to report it. Oh well, thatīs been fixed now. For some reason Google donīt let you re-upload files, so beta 3 it has to be.

Another addition is this build is preliminary support for persistent cartridge RAM. Some games, such as Phantasy Star (pictured above) let you save your progress in the game onto battery-backed RAM built into the cartridge. If you come back to the game later you should now be able to continue your progress without needing to manually save the entire emulator state.

Iīve had reports of rather bizarre crashes bringing one poor userīs machine to its knees. Iīm at a loss to establish why; Iīve tried the emulator on four machines (two Vista, two XP) and although one of the machines displays a white screen instead of the emulator output (no pixel shader 2.0 support on its Radeon 9000) the software trundles along just fine otherwise (I can at least hear the game music!) The one notable difference between my machines and his machine is that heīs using a 64-bit version of Windows, and all of the ones I have access to run 32-bit Windows. To see if this is the issue, Iīve changed the configuration to x86 (Iīve encountered strange bugs with .NET code using unmanaged 32-bit code on 64-bit Windows) to see if this will remedy issues, but if anyone has any bright ideas Iīd be interested to hear them.

http://code.google.com/p/cogwheel/