PDA

View Full Version : I think I know what sonys "goodwill program" is

reluttr
September 3rd, 2009, 00:55
Since everyone knows the psp go will have pc accompanying software called "Media Go" and basically this software manages all purchased apps, games, music, and ect on the psp Go.

This got me to thinking about the game problem, if you own a extensive collection of UMD's then there is a large chance you own a psp that can read UMD's to. All psp's can also be attached to pc via usb and do work with media go.

So this goodwill program of sonys will basically work like this, one you purchase a go and verify you own it with media go it will unlock a special feature that allows you to connect your previous model of psp and essentally "rip" or "verify" you own a game and grant you a digital copy. This is why sony called it a "goodwill program" because you do have the ability to just rent a game and get the digital copy since games do not "yet" have unique identifiers.

I also believe this program will indeed extend to releases after October 1st as well for people that prefer to have physical copy's of their games, however sony will put in a software identifier so you can only unlock it on one account. Also it is quite possible that online versions of games may be slightly cheaper so that the consumer would be more motivated to purchase the online version, thus saving sony money on packaging and preventing the possibility of someone getting the digital version of a game and reselling the disk.

This type of system would not surprising, especially after seeing sony's system with bluray movies containing digital copys for portable devices.

What do you guys think? If this is indeed the system sony has planned then they can count me in for a go, cause I got a pspphat for homebrew and I'm in the market for a new psp, and the go seems like the better choice since it has bumped up specs.

Shadowblind
September 3rd, 2009, 01:27
If Sony let you rip a digital copy of a PSP game onto your PC that easily, piracy would skyrocket even more.

As for buying the new PSP...my launch PSP essentially just died on me. So if PSPGo can run homebrew, count me in. If it can't, why would I want a PSP? >_>

reluttr
September 3rd, 2009, 02:20
Its not as cut and dry as you think. Of course there would be several levels are protection.

On games released prior to Oct. 1st, then the games would have to be ripped. However it would all be managed through the Media Go software, and the rip can only be transfered to a PSP Go registured to your PSN account, seeing as the rip would be useless to a psp that can play the original disk.

Also, only games verified you own on PSN can be transfered to the GO. Meaning if you download a rip off the net, then it will not work unless you somehow acquire the games disk and run it through the ripping software and have it be verified. Also the go would have a file "presumably in flash 1" that lists all verified games. Meaning if you try to load a game thats not on the list then you will get a error and be asked to verify you own it.

It should also be noted any ripped games would be in a format only the psp go can read.

This is why sony is calling this the "goodwill" program, because they are giving the users the choice to be moral or immoral, and they are just simply writing off any losses. However they will not be completely stupid with it, you will have to at some point have had a copy of the game in your possession long enough to register it.

Any games released after Oct. 1st will NOT be rippable, instead they will carry a partition on the UMD that has a voucher for a digital copy of the game. The code is NOT locked to one account, and if the code is reregistured on a new account then ownership to the digital copy is removed from the previous owner. This change would apply when the previous owner connected to the PSN via media go, ps3, or through psp. It would modify the "verified games" and remove the game from the list, rendering it unplayable. I repeat you CANNOT rip games after oct. 1st, they would be downloaded via PSN like any other game bought through PSN.

Of course as long as you own the disk, you keep the digital content. However if you wanted to sell the disk the the new owner gets rights to the digital copy as well.

This is what they meant by "it will extend on". Because this allows users to have the option to buy games in store for collective value.

Also it should be noted that sony may place verification system in trusted retailers, so that Go owners that do not have a previous psp can take advantage of having a physical medium of their games. These kiosks would also be for umd based psp users that no longer have a functioning unit, this gives them a way of transferring their old titles to the new system.

Also its quite possible sony may offer slight discounts on online versions of games in order to justify the psp Go price, and make users more tempted to purchase online content instead of physical disks.