PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Dreamcast Scene Missing?

DCEmu_Newsposter
April 13th, 2004, 12:10
With the help of those who visit and work here and outsiders too we want to make this the best site we can, what would be good here thats missing from other Dreamcast sites?[br][br]This Scene can be better we just need to think of innovations to bring more people here.[br][br]The GP32 scene has some great ideas and hopefully we will see a lot more coders coming from there and some of ours doing GP32 stuff also.[br][br]So tell us whats missing :P[br]

Mat_b
April 13th, 2004, 20:15
Some one should finish off the Pc engine emulater! maybe with super cd support! Hey how about a dos emulater! that would be really cool! or a MEGA CD emulater! full screen avi player! erm thats it! O yeah SENSIBLE WORLD OF SOCCER PORT FOR DC WITH NEW MUSIC AND UPDATED TEAMS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!

Christuserloeser
April 17th, 2004, 17:18
*the original Dreamcast development enviroment to be legal for use for all developers
*full speed Genesis emulator with proper sound emulation
*more articles/focus in the media
*PC Engine / TurboGrafx / Duo emulator
*PlayStation emulator
*more capable coders *:(

Also it'd be nice to see (more) atomiswave and naomi conversations - as more commercial games would attract more people to the scene!

Let's hope that the Dreamcast Demo Disc 1 will have some good side effects, too.

Thanx to Max from www.dreamcast-scene.com for his efforts in getting this project started.

What this site's missing?
- Mmh. My head explodes thinking of sth like that...

It's already a very very well done page I think!

Go on with your good work & thx to all of you!

I'll think of it and maybe I am coming up soon with a little list of things that's currently missing on this site.

Prophet
April 18th, 2004, 05:02
*the original Dreamcast development enviroment to be legal for use for all developers

I think you will find that no one would really use it now anyway. People like KOS and beleive its better in some ways to the Sega SDK

Darksaviour69
April 18th, 2004, 21:08
sega is still using SDK for the ps2, Gcube (xbox? ). so not much chance, but if sega give us more info on the modem and servers....

there have been no atomiswave ports....yet.....come on sammy!

Ian_micheal
April 18th, 2004, 23:53
Whats it missing? Well nothing much. Only so much you can do for example if i did nothing more i be happy. Enff with the memorys of i got metal slug on dreamcast along with all the other people that helped on the project.

Kos and the c lib funtions really dont work like there suposed to some times. But are slighty better then katana in ways. No viabration works so nothing really is needed in a homebrew seen out of katana. Which is a lot harder to use i doubt there be half the stuff we have now. If all we ever used was it.

Whats missing a open source webrowser with flash and java support. I think thats the biggest thing missing. Also a html rending engine. Say Html lib that could be linked from the command lin and html formated txt and pictures used.In games for emulators how to use stuff like that could fun and lot easyer.

Having said that emulators i cant see any more to do. Pce one prolly thats it. Not going to be fullspeed ether. Might be like Neogeo CD SDL in speed. Since hugo was ported to SDL. It looks like quiet a bit of work. Team of people that helped me was mostly by chance asking for help on each part i found in the code that needed changing.

I think this sort of hap hazard team work will not work on the pce cd emu.

Every thing i wanted is covered. In the dc scene. I think Some thing like black aura is doing basic interpter is great. I think i was the first to see it running which was cool.

BBC emu I think needs to be updated. I love the bbc who does not but it's to hard to use.

wraggster
April 19th, 2004, 00:01
Actually through the Mess Emu i can think of quite a few emulators id like to see on the Dreamcast.

Amstrad cpc64

Id also like to see even if for a demo a port of the sdl version of Visual Boy Advance.

1 to see how fast gb/gbc games run
2 to see if homebrew will run on the Dreamcast via the gba side of things.

kyslug
April 19th, 2004, 12:12
ian, do you think someday you might do us all a huge favor in the dc community (not that you haven't done a ton already) and port a nice pce emu? that would be fantastic!

JMD
April 19th, 2004, 13:37
I though about this topic for few days and now here is my feeling :

--> A kind of system disk should be cool. Something between an OS and a Utiliities compilation : Imagine DemoMenu with a nice GUI with Icon + DCloadIP built in
+ VMU Manager built in (as Speud's one) + a lots of utils on the disc (text editor, web browser, BA Basic interpreter, MP3 reader, Image viewer etc...). When you exit a program, the Gui just reload as DCLoadIP (by asking swap CD if needed) .

-> A soundTracker or a Rebirth clone

-> More Reverse specific Hardware : GPU and SPU (as BlackAura said in the interview)

-> A little JVM as phone mobile's one

-> An Amstrad CPC, PC Engine & Amiga emulator

Christuserloeser
April 19th, 2004, 17:32
I think you will find that no one would really use it now anyway. People like KOS and beleive its better in some ways to the Sega SDK

Oops, I didn't know that KOS really is that good!
Sorry! :-[

I always thought about "Why isn't Sega releasing the original development enviroment and their libraries? It'd help the scene so much at creating commercial-like looking homebrew games!"

Ian_micheal
April 20th, 2004, 12:58
I though about this topic for few days and now here is my feeling :

--> A kind of system disk should be cool. Something between an OS and a Utiliities compilation : Imagine DemoMenu with a nice GUI with Icon + DCloadIP built in
+ VMU Manager *built in (as Speud's one) + a lots of utils on the disc (text editor, web browser, BA Basic interpreter, MP3 reader, Image viewer etc...). When you exit a program, the Gui just reload as DCLoadIP (by asking swap CD if needed) .

-> A soundTracker or a Rebirth clone

-> More Reverse specific Hardware : GPU and SPU (as BlackAura said in the interview)

-> A little JVM as phone mobile's one

-> An Amstrad CPC, PC Engine *& Amiga emulator

All sound do-able but the amiga. Complex hard ware with exact timing. No room for doing some thing wrong. JMD are you going to start any of these.?

JMD
April 20th, 2004, 20:43
JMD are you going to start any of these.?

Few of them seems to be a bit complicate for me :-/ . Anyway, I will working on the final release of Maqiupai for 2 or 3 weeks more.
After that, why not working on a Amstrad CPC emu in a team ;).
I never made any port or emu but I can code a GUI, an CPC Disk autoboot (cf. DCEmulation topic) or help on few points.
Should be a good point to learn how emus works.
:)

smiles
April 20th, 2004, 23:50
What the scene needs most is a site that has all the apps, games and emulators available in one format. Preferably plain scrambled files. Every site conatine Nero images, Diskjuggler images, plain scrambled and unscrambled files, ELF files and it makes it rather difficult for people to get things going when there are so many different types of files to download.

Perhaps this site could take the time to convert all available downloads to ZIP or RAR files containing the Plain scrambled files.

BlackAura
April 21st, 2004, 13:43
We're missing a couple of major development tools. Specifically, an IDE (which Propeller seems to have taken care of, as soon as we can get an English version), and a simpler development language that could be used for making games (like the BASIC interpreter I'm working on). Between the two of them, they could make coding for the Dreamcast so much easier to get into.

A totally foolproof CD burning program would be good too. Selfboot Inducer works well, but relying on a completely separate program like DiscJuggler or Nero is a weak point. DiscJuggler doesn't work on many systems, and Nero 6 seems completely incapable of burning Dreamcast-compatable CDs.

wraggster
April 21st, 2004, 19:08
I like the sounds of the Basic Interpreter :)

did the commodore 64 use Basic?

BlackAura
April 21st, 2004, 19:35
Yeah, but it used a really weird version. Virtually all 8-bit machines came with their own BASIC interpreter, and they all did everything slightly differently.

wraggster
April 21st, 2004, 19:49
ive always wanted to make a wrestling manager game, more for the management side of things rather than graphic side as you wouldnt acxtually do the fighting yourself.

Turrican2K
April 28th, 2004, 18:06
A port of a Java VM would be nice. GCJ http://gcc.gnu.org/java/ is progressing quite nicely now and will compile down to machine code, which is nice. Sadly it doesn't have any graphics support yet which kind of spoils the whole games idea :'(

The DC is only 200Mhz too with 16MB RAM, which would limit things too. Would be nice to see this happen, with the alterior motive being that I don't have to spend any effort to port my game to the DC ;)

curt_grymala
April 28th, 2004, 18:35
What the scene needs most is a site that has all the apps, games and emulators available in one format. *Preferably plain scrambled files. *Every site conatine Nero images, Diskjuggler images, plain scrambled and unscrambled files, ELF files and it makes it rather difficult for people to get things going when there are so many different types of files to download.

Perhaps this site could take the time to convert all available downloads to ZIP or RAR files containing the Plain scrambled files.

You could just visit http://www.sbiffy.com/ and get them all in SBI format. Then, you can put them all on a disc together. I think that was sort of the original focus of Sbiffy! in the first place. Every time something is released, if it is compatible with DreamInducer, then we work hard to get it put together in SBI format. Then, it is either uploaded to DCStuff or to Sbiffy! (they are all eventually uploaded to Sbiffy!, but I don't have upload privs there, so I have to host a lot of them temporarily on DCStuff)

curt_grymala
April 28th, 2004, 18:45
What's the Dreamcast scene missing?

Well, I don't know if this counts as something that's missing, but the DCScene really seems to be getting further and further divided up, into smaller and smaller pieces. It would be nice to see all of these DC sites focus on one narrow element of the DC scene, and work strictly from that angle. For instance, DCStuff is currently under re-construction to have a rather narrow focus. We eventually hope to be the one place that people go for helper apps. Everything that needs to be done before you put the disc into your DC will be found on our site. We don't plan on hosting any emus, apps, demos or games. We will just be hosting tutorials and helper apps. However, we will constantly be updating those two things, to make sure that everything is current. If a tutorial is not good enough, it will be improved as soon as deficiencies are pointed out.

I think this site could really benefit from choosing one particular focus (for instance, hosting all of the apps, demos, emus, games that are released), and focus mainly on that one thing. This could be the one-stop shop for NRG, CDI and plain files downloads for everything. The interviews are fantastic, and they would still fit into the scope I am suggesting.

We could all work together, in cooperation, to build a nice network of sites that each have a narrow focus. It becomes too difficult to keep track of things, and keep things current and updated when you are trying to do everything.

On DCStuff, we plan on having a page devoted to the development of new homebrew stuff, and that page will simply include a short write-up about the scene, and some links to this site, DCEmulation, and CV. We will have a page devoted to SBI's and Dream Inducer, which will include a short write-up, and a link to Sbiffy! We will have a page devoted to artwork, and include a short write-up about the types of artwork that are utilized in the DCScene, and have a link to some place like B!CC. Then, we will have a lot of tutorials, and a lot of helper apps. That will be our focus.

We should each have a focus, and work to further ourselves in that direction, then develop a tight network of sites so that all visitors know where to go for step 1, then where to go for step 2, etc.

DemoniusX
April 28th, 2004, 21:44
this is a list of things I would like to see in the DC scene

*full speed and sound genesis emulator

*Full speed and sound snes emulator

*full speed and sound PCE emulator

*Ground breaking homebrew games

if these were to happen that would rock
and after the emulators I would probably leave
the dc scene cuz then I would be truly satisfied and
would not need to be a part of it anymore :}.

quzar
April 29th, 2004, 09:23
I think this site has already helped a lot. I find the interviews and articles hosted here or linked to here not only help to tie together the international DC scene, but also have brought those important to the scene to the forefront, giving official reports as to what they are working on etc.

Other than that, i think something the scene needs a lot would be an updated KOS manual, right now the one hosted by SF is 2 years old and still talks about the TA and such.

We also need more information on sh4 assembly and more libraries ported to the dreamcast, such as allegro and maybe a fake DirectX or something :P

Saoshyant
April 29th, 2004, 16:38
People that believe in a Dreamcast 2. "Friendly community"... You are an hypocrite, as soon as I posted the topic about a DC2 you erased it!

www.geocities.com/simple_mugen_2004/dreamcast2.htm

Darksaviour69
April 29th, 2004, 17:41
It was not erased it still in submit news forum

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=submit;action=display;num=1083001919